Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
pav438
Excited about Disney

Am I wrong to be angry with virgin?

Hi guys,
Just got back and will do a high and not so highs soon.
We traveled back on delight when we boarded there was a disabled man on the isle seat , when me and dw tried to get in our seats he said he could not move without assistance “ok “I said “would you like any help ?”
“No your not qualified “ he said so I went to ask virgin staff to help who told us they were to busy boarding! So long story short we had to embarrassingly clime over.
As we sat down he then said to me “ don’t have to much to drink as I can’t move and I’ve just taken a sleeping tablet.long story short we could not use the loo for 7.5 hours and could not leave the plane until he did 45mins after everyone else.
I asked if he would like the window seat but he said “ no this is the seat he booked”
Surely something could have been sorted better I did not drink or eat anything as I was stuck in the seat and the staff were useless and didn’t want to know.
pav438 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

That is awful and I'd definitely complain. There's no way I could last the whole flight without being able to go to the loo.
Old 19 May 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would be angry too, but actually not sure who with?!

I don’t know what Virgin could really do without discriminating against the man?

I guess I don’t like the fact that he was dictating what you could and couldn’t do - telling someone not to eat/drink/toilet is not acceptable. I think if it was me, if I’d climbed over to get to my seat, I’d of climbed over to go to the bathroom - especially if he’s taken a sleeping tablet, presumably he wouldn’t of known anyway?

But I agree with you, I’d of been cross at the situation too - just not sure how I would of expected Virgin to resolve it, unless they had spare seats and could of moved you? Perhaps they didn’t have a good answer either?
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'm not sure who I'd feel angry with as it's a tricky situation. I wouldn't like someone telling me I couldn't drink or use the toilet and if you offered to change seats maybe this would have helped the situation.
I'd probably climb over after they'd had their sleeping tablet, they knock most people out for the count.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
pav438
Excited about Disney

Surly he could have taken my window seat ! I know sounds awful but in a emergency situation what do we do ?
pav438 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

So how would you have expected this scenario to have been handled? What should Virgin or whomever you are angry with have done differently?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

I think what occurs to me is what if an emergency happened and you had to evacuate the plane? I’m not sure how this could have been dealt with at the time but I don’t think I would have been very comfortable/happy with this situation.
Old 19 May 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I cannot see how Virgin could have handled it differently.

Your issue lies with an awkward, unpleasant, bullying, cantankerous fellow passenger. I would have carried on as usual.. or even more than usual, using the loo at least 5 times, stretching my legs etc and made the flight as unpleasant as possible for this gentleman, who would seem unable or unwilling to compromise. Whilst disability cannot be pleasant and requires sensitivity from others, this guy had thrown away the ‘sensitivity ticket’. A simple push on the assistance button would have got you staff attendance and a threat to ‘pee yourself in the seat’, guaranteed their waking the man up and dealing with it.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:09 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pav438 View Post
Surly he could have taken my window seat ! I know sounds awful but in a emergency situation what do we do ?
I’d be annoyed at the situation. Virgin should have procedures/policies in place for this occurrence (I imagine it happens frequently) and it should be better than fare paying passengers not being able to use the toilet due to the circumstances of others.

I’m aware that it’s not the disabled customer’s fault but where they sat both him and you is down to Virgin. They move customer’s seats all the time for various reasons so yes I would be enquiring with them what their policy is on this matter.

I would also at the time asked if I could be moved and have been a bit more vocal about it then but hindsight is a wonderful thing and I’m sure you wish you had been aswell.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

An interesting one. I wouldn’t have climbed over another passenger to access my seat, nor go to the toilet. Being unable to access your seat without requiring significant agility is not acceptable imo.
What would Virgin have done if it had been people with limited mobility in the window and middle seat?
On balance, I think this is the airline’s issue to resolve - at the time. Not much they can do about it now other than holding up their hands and acknowledging they could have done better.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List