Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 19 May 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarabe
Trying for More Ears

Mobile Help renting out DVC points please

Hi,

We have only recently bought DVC points but as we have already been this year we are looking to rent out our points which have use by of End Feb 2020. I have 540 at BLT.
Has anyone used David’s rental or Dvc request companies?
Any thoughts on either would be great. They both send the funds by PayPal so I assume my bank will charge me to convert to GBP.

Could I pay my annual dues direct from PayPal in USD save making the conversion for some of it?

If I rented on the dibb how does it work. So Dvc rental gives you 75% now and remaining 25% when they check in?

Thanks. Any help would be much appreciated
Clarabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clarabe View Post
Hi,

We have only recently bought DVC points but as we have already been this year we are looking to rent out our points which have use by of End Feb 2020. I have 540 at BLT.
Has anyone used David’s rental or Dvc request companies?
Any thoughts on either would be great. They both send the funds by PayPal so I assume my bank will charge me to convert to GBP.

Could I pay my annual dues direct from PayPal in USD save making the conversion for some of it?

If I rented on the dibb how does it work. So Dvc rental gives you 75% now and remaining 25% when they check in?

I have only used Davids and it was a brilliant service- you will hear generally nothing else- no issues at all and very easy.

You can rent on here- I would want all money paying at time of booking.

As to the Paypal question, no, unfortunately, you cannot pay dues via Paypal. It is Paypal who charge you the conversion- so you can spend it in £'s on UK websites, $'s on US websites or just have it transferred to your bank.

If you do it on here, you will be bombarded with requests for 1 or 2 nights, which will take ages to deal with, so you may want to say upfront that you will only accept bookings of 7+ days etc, of course until your points whittle down, then you may have only enough for a night or so, then you could advertise it as such. You may get a bit more here, and can request sterling obviously, it is just whether it is worth the extra hassle but many report a good experience.
Old 19 May 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarabe
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thanks for the quick response.
So if I sell on here I assume I book it for them through my account with their names in?
Clarabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

So if I sell on here I assume I book it for them through my account with their names in?
I haven’t rented out yet but as far as I know as you are the owner you still do the booking putting in their details whether you do it on the Dibb, David’s or any other rental company.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I've only ever rented my left over points direct, either here or The Disboards, I ask for full payment up front and stipulate no cancellation or amendments to the booking once it's made. I also won't entertain odd nights, (unless I have a few left over or really want to help someone struggling to get points) if I have say 2-300 to rent, I don't want more than a maximum of 2 renters to deal with, it's just not worth my time dealing with 15 one night bookings. Mine have always been snapped up but they're BCV / CCV points which are sought after, you won't have any trouble renting BLT points.

A broker would be a good option if doing it yourself really worries you, but it's so easy to do, especially if you're black and white about your terms.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes correct you basically make the booking for them- this is why you want the money straight away with a no refund policy. If doing it yourself you should have some T&Cs agreed as Poohbear says in black and white.
Whilst very low risk, you are also responsible for damage to the unit. Some have suggested you are also responsible for unpaid accounts, but I looked through the contracts and cannot see the latter - just the former. In the very unlikely event something happened and you rented direct, you are on your own. If using an agent like David's I suspect (albeit it isn't confirmed anywhere) they would make good your loss, as they don't want people posting horror stories all over the forums, and they are generally an excellent company. But I am not speaking for them in that regard, it is just my thoughts.
Edit- and finally, unless you are a benefactor of Dibbers, make sure you charge enough, for BLT i think Davids charge renters $18 a point and give you $15 now, so if doing it directly for all the extra hassle, you would want at least £13 a point in my view. I see people renting for £10 which is too low.

Edited at 05:40 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Hi,

If you use David's its best to make sure you have a PayPal US dollar account already set up.

We recently found out that you can buy online from the UK, Disney egift cards using your US dollar PayPal account through Target. There's no fees or extra cost so you save on the PayPal conversion fees.

The Target eGift cards can be purchased in various amounts between $25 and $500 and once received can easily be applied towards your annual dues on the Members website.

target/p/disney-gift...18#lnk=sametab

Any amount remaining on the ecard can be used at Disney from park tickets through to tipping at table services meals.

You can also set-up an online Disney Gift Card Account where you can combined ecards and even transfer the amounts onto a plastic Disney gift card.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 05:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Jasonharry
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We used David’s a few weeks back to rent 150 points and the points were gone in around 4 days which was much faster than we thought they would, had also advertised them on here but got no response.
I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again
Jasonharry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I have rented points out happily via the Dibb and also with David's. Only downside with David's was losing money on the Paypal $/£ exchange.

David's was very easy to deal with and they are based in Canada and don't withhold any tax but I'm not sure if US based brokers withhold tax?

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
berni
Serious Dibber

I have used David's a few times. You recive 50% when you confirm the booking and 50% when the guests check in. There is an element of trust, in theory you could make a booking take the money then cancel/ default on Annual dues or whatever. You may be asked to arrange magic express other requests but you are renting out, and they are paying for premium accommodation, so I think minor requests like that are reasonable.

Good luck
berni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List