Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 May 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Sounds great...yes I am old enough to remember ladybird books . Did you buy that here? I’m so unsure about whale watching whilst I would love to do it I have read lots of people get sea sick! However not looked into this thoroughly. Have you ever done it before?
Your trip is a bit like mine as we are going to NY then Florida... can’t wait
I need to pin the itinerary down as like I say we were going to Cape cod so not looked too much at Boston. Just read another of your posts advising on Orlando without Disney. We too have just done this and had a great time. I will be looking up your suggestions for other places to go. Lots of ppl talk about the ‘panhandle’ so will look there too
The book that we bought is called ‘The Freedom Trail:Boston. We purchased it on EBay and it is easy to find.

I really recommend it as it is pitched about right with no, what would be for us, excessive detail.

We ‘Whalewatched’ last year out of Monterey. It was calmish, the boat was big enough that it didn’t roll about and we loved it. You can see some piccies and information on how it went on my trip report, ‘California N to South at Easter’. We are going on a similar boat this time. There is an image of the actual boat on my pre trippie ‘Planes Trains and automobiles’. Seasickness was not an issue.

We visited the Panhandle the year before. It was very different to the normal gulf coast as experienced by People who tie it in to Orlando.
We flew in to Atlanta, then onwards to Pensacola airport before picking up our car and then staying at the Margaritaville Hotel on Pensacola Beach. From there we visited the Naval Aviation museum and also USS Alalabama at Mobile (40 minutes away). We then drove to Destin and stayed behind the Henderson State park, a lovely beach. We then drove to Tampa (450 miles) and stayed the night, visiting Busch Gardens at rope drop before driving on to our Orlando villa. (We figured that passing through rather than a 60 mile each way return journey gave us back 60 miles). After 10 days in Orlando doing Orlando things, we then drove to Daytona Beach for the day (really interesting) before flying home from Daytona Beach. In Atlanta once more.
It was great fun, but that 450 mile journey wasn’t so good. With hindsight we should have stopped for the night at Dunellon and travelled the Rainbow River before moving on next morning to Tampa.

Hope it helps for your forthcoming.. and next vacation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:07 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by bluedave View Post
Fire + ice restaurant is worth a visit.
That looks really good. I think we may try that!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The book that we bought is called ‘The Freedom Trail:Boston. We purchased it on EBay and it is easy to find.

I really recommend it as it is pitched about right with no, what would be for us, excessive detail.

We ‘Whalewatched’ last year out of Monterey. It was calmish, the boat was big enough that it didn’t roll about and we loved it. You can see some piccies and information on how it went on my trip report, ‘California N to South at Easter’. We are going on a similar boat this time. There is an image of the actual boat on my pre trippie ‘Planes Trains and automobiles’. Seasickness was not an issue.

We visited the Panhandle the year before. It was very different to the normal gulf coast as experienced by People who tie it in to Orlando.
We flew in to Atlanta, then onwards to Pensacola airport before picking up our car and then staying at the Margaritaville Hotel on Pensacola Beach. From there we visited the Naval Aviation museum and also USS Alalabama at Mobile (40 minutes away). We then drove to Destin and stayed behind the Henderson State park, a lovely beach. We then drove to Tampa (450 miles) and stayed the night, visiting Busch Gardens at rope drop before driving on to our Orlando villa. (We figured that passing through rather than a 60 mile each way return journey gave us back 60 miles). After 10 days in Orlando doing Orlando things, we then drove to Daytona Beach for the day (really interesting) before flying home from Daytona Beach. In Atlanta once more.
It was great fun, but that 450 mile journey wasn’t so good. With hindsight we should have stopped for the night at Dunellon and travelled the Rainbow River before moving on next morning to Tampa.

Hope it helps for your forthcoming.. and next vacation.
It all sounds great... no way would we have driven the 450 in one go
Old 27 May 19, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We arrive late on 18 July and then have 3 nights before leaving by AMTRAC at lunchtime, so 2 and a bit days. Our itinary for this phase of a larger vacation is as follows:

We arrive, get a taxi or Uber to our houseboat close to the Paul Reveire house and after finding some food, settle in for the night.

Day 1.
Next morning, it is out and then a move to the start of the Freedom trail. We will follow this to the letter and take most of the day if necessary. We will be eating in the Quincy market and using a guide to the freedom trail that is around the size of a Ladybird book (if you are old enough) with an A4 sized fold out of Old Boston in the front and New Boston at the back, which I have annotated with additional points to see etc. As we approach each of the 18 or so sites, we will read, discuss and decide whether to investigate further. The trail ends at USS Constitution and we will most certainly investigate that thoroughly, along with (if we have time), the Naval museum.

It is then back to the Houseboat before an evening out on the water with a sunset cruise. Dinner may be on the boat, but may be at TGI's.

Day 2.
In the morning it is a Whale watch cruise.

Lunch will be at Quincy market as we make our way to the Swan Pedalos on boston common.

The late afternoon and evening will be spent visiting anything on the Freedom trail that we feel we have missed.

Dinner is as yet undecided.

Morning 3.
A stroll round old Boston and breakfast before a further stroll to Boston South Railway Station and taking our AMTRAC to NY Penn where further delights await!

We have deliberately kept it light and loose. Whilst mindful of the advice and recommends of friends and DIBBERS, We are using the Freedom trail as the basis of our plan, treating it as a 'Recce'.
Make sure you sit on the left of the train to New York. That way you'll get the coast views! We did NY to Boston and loved the journey.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

We are doing 3 nights NYC then Amtrak to Boston 2 nights then on to kittery

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

My absolute favourite thing in Boston was going to see a Red Sox game. We are not sports fans at all at home but made sure we knew the basics of the rules by watching a few youtube videos before we left home.

The atmosphere and peculiarities of the occasion were very entertaining. Sadly the Red Sox lost that evening after having had a winning streak.

Great evening.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

My favourite place was the JFK museum - one of the best I have been to!
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lucky's Mum View Post
My favourite place was the JFK museum - one of the best I have been to!
We visited the Reagan one, just north of LA in the Simi Valley. That also was absolutely brilliant.

Old 27 May 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

Fell in love with Boston Cape Vod, HOHO bus a must, love Baseball, Ducks, Cheers, Quincy Market? Loved it all