Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 May 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Florida after cancer/insurance and life with a wig

So, last year we should have been going back to Florida but I was rushed into hospital and then spent almost 13 weeks there fighting for my life (3 operations, lots of complications meaning time on ICU on a ventilator).

I have Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer, have now finished chemotherapy earlier this year but am on chemo tablets indefinitely to try and delay a recurrence (which sadly happens in the vast majority of ovarian cases... only 19% make it to five years.. shocking statistics)

We are thinking of going over in September, when youngest will have moved out to Uni, and staying at Universal (as I'm a huge Harry Potter fan).

It means I'd celebrate my birthday there, Food & Wine is on at Disney and hopefully September will be quieter.

So any recommendations for insurance please?

Also, has anyone done florida with a wig? I have lost all my hair thanks to chemo, and its painfully slow coming back as Im on chemo tablets which is affecting regrowth. I never usually wear a hat/cap but thinking perhaps I will need to. Any advice lovely dibbers?
2013 A level celebrations Mum & daughter HRH/RPR/Rosen@Pointe
2008 All the family Regal Palms/HRH
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dougyjemd
Trying for More Ears

dougyjemd's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'm going back this august, approx 7 months after 2 1/2 yrs of cancer treatment for Lymphoma.
After looking around I found Boots to be great for me. Was actually shocked at how reasonable it was. My insurance through my bank account was 10 times the cost!
All the best.
dougyjemd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I spent 3 months in the ICU after a heart attack and subsequent heart failure. Not a pleasant way to spend a season. I was evaluated for transplant and given 6 months to live without one.

I have wonderful doctors and six years later my original heart and I have recovered and working 50 hours a week (and I am no youngster). Remember, statistics are only numbers and may not hold your future.

AS far as your wig, I think one always needs a hat in Florida so I would just find some easy, stylish head coverings.

Many thoughts and prayers for a sustained recovery.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Truly sorry to read this and we wish you all the best for the future.

Joan and I have both had different cancers and until this weekend I have continually praised Boots Platinum on here for both level of cover and premium. They've been around £800 for annual cover for a couple of years but unfortunately for some reason they wanted over £1,200 this time. No worsening of our PEMCs either.

So I tried the usual suspects mentioned on here such as All Clear. Sadly most of them were around Boots figure but Staysure (often recommended on here as well and 5 star Defacto) were £850. I did it on the phone as well because I wanted absolute clarity on past treatment.

We went Feb 2017 and chemo finished in Sep 2016 and Joan's hair growth was about an inch all over and went without a wig. Joan wore her wig all the time at home though until Feb

Good luck

Mick

Edited at 09:05 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Firstly, well done on making it through chemo, speaking from experience it is a truly rough time. I went a year after chemo finished and my hair was still short but my scalp was very sensitive to the sun. I ended up wearing a cap all the time. Never bothered with a wig during chemo anyway. We did go to Spain 2 months after chemo finished and I had a fuzz all over my head and I just kept it out of the sun in shade all the time.

Re insurance, you just need to ring around a few places and be totally honest with them, you will find an acceptable price somewhere. Also once you have insurance, if there is any change in medication you need to let them know otherwise it can void your insurance.

Best wishes, enjoy your holiday
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
zdickens
Imagineer

zdickens's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Well done for getting through chemo, it’s an horrendous experience but probably like me you had no choice, but I went to Florida 5 months after finishing chemo, which was May time, I had a wig and didn’t find that it felt hotter with it on than before wearing a wig. I did crank up sun protection to spf50 because I also had radiotherapy, so sitting in the sun was a no no. As for insurance I found Insurancewith really reasonable directly after my cancer diagnosis, this time I’m insured with Holiday Safe. Have a fantastic holiday and enjoy every minute. I know when I first returned I balled my eyes out, I was just so grateful I was able to go back.

Oct 2022 - California Tour, Nov 2019 - Disney’s AKL & RPR, May 2017 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2014 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2012 - Disney's POFQ & HRH, Sep 2011 - DLP Hotel Cheyenne, Nov 2010 - Disney's CBR & RPR, Oct 2008 - Disney's All Star Movies & HRH, Nov 2006 - Disney's All Star Sports, Oct 2000 - Holiday Inn Nikki Bird (Kissimmee), Sep 1996 - Quality Inn International

Edited at 09:44 AM.
zdickens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Toria
Getting Excited

Have you thought of a headscarves - They have some lovely vibrant colours about at the moment and you can switch up with outfits etc.

Wishing you a very happy fun filled holiday
Toria is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

thank you all for your positive words of encouragement.

Just hoping we can get out to my happy place
2013 A level celebrations Mum & daughter HRH/RPR/Rosen@Pointe
2008 All the family Regal Palms/HRH
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle1989
Serious Dibber

No advice on insurance I am afraid but I hope you have a wonderful and well deserved holiday!
WDW 'Once in a Lifetime trip' - July 2017 -- OKW DLP - July 2018 -- Hotel Cheyenne WDW POR Royal Guest Room -- May 2019 WDW POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2022 WDW Contemporay Resort & POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2023
Belle1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Another one you could try is InsureandGo. We have found them very reasonable for such things.
Get it sorted so that you can start all that planing.