Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 May 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I work in an exams environment although in a different field.

We 'pull' questions at the results stage; this is due to either an element of the question being incorrect and having slipped through the net or because it had behaved spectacularly well or spectacularly badly and it is felt that in the first situation the question(s) disadvantages candidates or in the second situation that the question(s) aren't doing a good enough job of determining who is a good and who is a bad candidate, ie, too easy; everyone gets it right; even though who don't have adequate knowledge, too hard; no-one gets it right, even those who have superb knowledge.

We have 'pulled' an entire paper before when we became aware that the contents had been seen by those who should not have and entered the public domain.

Edited at 12:47 PM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mollysue View Post
I understand the ramifications but however you look at this situation and I’ve thought about it all night the school are not acting appropriately and if they are looking at papers just who is this benefitting if there has been no wrong doing then perhaps the staff involved need to think how they are discussing things with parents
Personally I think you’ve made the right choice. By contacting you in the first instance the school had every opportunity to explain and clarify the situation to you and clearly explain what they meant by pulled . It’s their problem that they couldn’t be bothered so why should you do the donkey work for them and potentially cover up any wrong doing ? if they have done nothing wrong then they have nothing to worry about but why should you keep quiet is beyond me .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Personally I think you’ve made the right choice. By contacting you in the first instance the school had every opportunity to explain and clarify the situation to you and clearly explain what they meant by pulled . It’s their problem that they couldn’t be bothered so why should you do the donkey work for them and potentially cover up any wrong doing ? if they have done nothing wrong then they have nothing to worry about but why should you keep quiet is beyond me .
I see your point, but if the exam board think that process hasn't been followed they may have to cancel all papers sat in that session at the centre. That means the OP daughter and all her friends would have their exam voided. That is why I wouldn't have called the exam board until I understood what the school meant...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I'm glad you understood the possible ramifications before you contacted the exam board. I wanted to say something last night but didn't want to worry you as you said you had already emailed the board.

Please let us know the outcome and I hope your daughter gets through the rest of her exams without too much anxiety.
Old 23 May 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I see your point, but if the exam board think that process hasn't been followed they may have to cancel all papers sat in that session at the centre. That means the OP daughter and all her friends would have their exam voided. That is why I wouldn't have called the exam board until I understood what the school meant...
Then that’s purely down to the school to take responsibility of the whole situation and not the child or the parent . They have set rules that EVERY School has to follow or face the consequences.
The exam board will now investigate correctly and find out what the school meant as should be the case and not the parent. They will have procedures in place for this. The school is a public institution and answerable.
As I said , the school should have been clear in the first instance instead of leaving a parent second guessing, this could easily have been avoided.
My son is currently sitting A levels and I would not expect this from the college and I would have done exactly what the op has done .

Let’s us know how you get on op please .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Then that’s purely down to the school to take responsibility of the whole situation and not the child or the parent . They have set rules that EVERY School has to follow or face the consequences.
The exam board will now investigate correctly and find out what the school meant as should be the case and not the parent. They will have procedures in place for this. The school is a public institution and answerable.
As I said , the school should have been clear in the first instance instead of leaving a parent second guessing, this could easily have been avoided.
My son is currently sitting A levels and I would not expect this from the college and I would have done exactly what the op has done .

Let’s us know how you get on op please .
I 100% agree with you on all parts of your post. I was just pointing out that exam boards have to be scrupulous and the most common sanction when a centre is found to have been at fault is to void all examinations taken in that session.

I wanted the OP to know this was the risk she was taking in drawing attention to the school's behaviour to the examiners - basically everyone's revision being for nothing.

Yes the school is at fault, but the examiners have to protect the integrity of the process not a few individuals.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Would love an update on this OP when you hear back from the exam board or school,
f1girly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mollysue
Helping Donald

Thanks again for replies no update at the moment i understand people’s different opinions . I felt I had to act on the situation I have been presented with, I did take advice from exam board before giving specific details I think it is to serious not to have taken any action .
Mollysue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

OP - please let us know what the school say happened. I’d love to know what ‘pulling’ the paper actually meant.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Yes, this word 'pulling'is key
f1girly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List