Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 May 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Alamo Roadside Assistance

Hi
Can anyone offer any advice please?
DH & i are both disabled and would be unable to change a tyre ourselves. We usually book with Virgin but this time Alamo told us we needed to pay extra for Roadside Assistance Plus but for our 1 month booking this was very expensive - we are not too concerned about all the other bits included in this extra package but would need help with a tyre if this happened is there anyway round this or can we get similar cover elsewhere cheaper - or would it be cheaper to pay someone to come out and help us if needed rather than pay the extra Assistance +?
As always I feel sure fellow dibbers will have some great suggestions to help us.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Hi
Can anyone offer any advice please?
DH & i are both disabled and would be unable to change a tyre ourselves. We usually book with Virgin but this time Alamo told us we needed to pay extra for Roadside Assistance Plus but for our 1 month booking this was very expensive - we are not too concerned about all the other bits included in this extra package but would need help with a tyre if this happened is there anyway round this or can we get similar cover elsewhere cheaper - or would it be cheaper to pay someone to come out and help us if needed rather than pay the extra Assistance +?
As always I feel sure fellow dibbers will have some great suggestions to help us.
Hi Jen, if Alamo's vehicle breaks down, it's their responsibility to recover. If you believe you need additional insurance to cover uninsured losses (tyres, wheels, keys, underside, windscreen) then there are insurers in the UK you have purchase a separate policy thro. Until we bought a Fl motor in 2015 we never bought additional insurance, even with long stays.

There are Dibbers well versed in this scenario who'll be happy to oblige
Old 24 May 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I haven’t got access to my PC as I’m out here.
However Money Maxim in the UK are good and DuncanB who posts on here has details of a US company that is good
If you need more info ask me on Monday when I’m home

Edit. Normally an annual policy will be cheaper than a 4 week policy

Edited at 06:02 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Thanks Tom - we are here too at the moment back home on Friday. We are already planning to come back again in September. As I explained it is only being able to change a tire if we get a puncture that we are worried about. Everything else we can take in our stride and have never had a problem with. But we do like to travel up from Orlando to St Augustine and out to the coasts while we are here, so a puncture on a longer journey could cause us some problems now we are both incapacitated.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply we know we would be covered if we had a breakdown. We don't really need uninsured losses just help with changing a flat tyre, but I will have a look at your suggestions. Thank you.
Old 24 May 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mobile

Thanks Tom - we are here too at the moment back home on Friday. We are already planning to come back again in September. As I explained it is only being able to change a tire if we get a puncture that we are worried about. Everything else we can take in our stride and have never had a problem with. But we do like to travel up from Orlando to St Augustine and out to the coasts while we are here, so a puncture on a longer journey could cause us some problems now we are both incapacitated.
I agree ref the puncture issue. That can prove a bridge too far
Give me a nudge on Monday and I will check my bookmarks on the PC

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I haven’t got access to my PC as I’m out here.
However Money Maxim in the UK are good and DuncanB who posts on here has details of a US company that is good
If you need more info ask me on Monday when I’m home

Edit. Normally an annual policy will be cheaper than a 4 week policy
Reminded me, we did have excess reimbursement insurance for one year, but it was only applicable on hires up to a max of 30 days, something to bear in mind in case that stipulation remains for other long stayers.

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply we know we would be covered if we had a breakdown. We don't really need uninsured losses just help with changing a flat tyre, but I will have a look at your suggestions. Thank you.
Hi Jenny, I do apologise, it did 'read' as if I was teaching you to suck eggs, sorry

I researched the tyre sealant one can buy that seals/puts gas in the tyre until one can get to the garage, but apparently some leave sticky goop that's very difficult/refuses to come off the tyre.

Apparently if a member of the AA one can obtain cheaper AAA cover whilst in the US, see HERE:

And, if you’re travelling to the USA, you’re entitled to a number of basic roadside services including emergency road service*, towing up to 3 miles, and lock-out and/or battery service.
Old 24 May 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
john w
Getting Excited

If you have AA cover. Or you could take out cheapest AA. here they cover you for basics with AAA in the USA. Check in link if that would do for you.
theaa/rewards/offers/arc-europe.jsp
john w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

I use enhancedroadsidsassistance.com .
Rider never had to call them however local based company toll free 24 he service.
Reviews and blogs which I went by seem to show best around.
Like me you will almost certainly not need them but for a few quid in grand scheme of things its personal choice.
My party and myself have
1.Nearly lost keys.
2.Been involved in accidents.
each time no issue as first found them in sea.
second time hire company dealt with as in 1992 purchased all singing dancing cover so 3 right offs taken care of.
It's always each to own .
Majority have no issues with hire cars its when you do that cover you have counts.
That's from a flat to a far more serious incident.
Enjoy your trip.
I cannot comment on AAA .