Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 26 Jul 10, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clare View Post
Thanks Louise.

This is probably going to sound 'strange' but as I'm a type 1 of 30+ years I tend to know the value of carbs/food without actually giving a value, so I'll have a gluten free burger bun and either a small side of fries or a small soda (not diet/sugar free) and I know that with the insulin I'm taking I should be OK.

I'm afraid I can't help re. the carbs, but it might be worth emailing special diets to see if they can obtain a comprehensive list for you?
Hi Clare,

I am too trying to guess carbs per portion. If we are out and the boys have mash potato, I guess about 30grams of carbs etc.

I know Disney use Ener-G bun for their burgers:

ener-g/pop/nutritiona...?ProductId=163

I think its the one above. But I cant work out the carbs per bun? Me being thick! Usually a bun over here is about 30grams too. I dont usually count much for the burger itself, not sure if that is correct?

I just want to be organised. As we are on the DDP I want all my ADR's booked in November and have a good idea where we are eating and what Thomas can eat. I would like to list his food and have an idea beforehand amount of carbs. For example if he was eating at the Columbia Harbour House I would note Anchors Aweigh Sandwich but would like to know carbs per portion!

I know it sounds very complicated - I am just panicing about them becoming too low if I give them too much insulin.

The pictures of the food Clare you had look fantastic and I dont invisage many problems for table service meals, especially if pudding is not included! Dont think we can resist the muffins at Broadwalk Bakery though

2012 WDW Mom's Panel Search Finalist
Sheraton Safari Jan 05 & Feb 08
Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Louise

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way

Like Clare I am a Type 1 of 30 years plus. Also like Clare I don't count carbs like you are trying to, but just "know" roughly what is in what portion / meal. I guess this comes with experience and loads of practice as well as being confident enough to do it?

I am not saying you shouldn't try and count them - not at all - but there are so many other variables that will impact their levels that you have to, to a certain extent, just relax and go with the flow a bit. What I mean by this is that the hot weather and huge amounts of exercise will also have a big impact as well as the amount of carbs.

I am sure you'll be equipped with glucose tabs or the like in case they do go low, so I'm just trying to say, don't worry massively. It will all work out!

Have fun!

Karen

PS Edited to add, err on the side of caution with insulin to start with. I find that I go down to almost no units in the daytime due to the heat and non stop walking!
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Louise

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way

Like Clare I am a Type 1 of 30 years plus. Also like Clare I don't count carbs like you are trying to, but just "know" roughly what is in what portion / meal. I guess this comes with experience and loads of practice as well as being confident enough to do it?

I am not saying you shouldn't try and count them - not at all - but there are so many other variables that will impact their levels that you have to, to a certain extent, just relax and go with the flow a bit. What I mean by this is that the hot weather and huge amounts of exercise will also have a big impact as well as the amount of carbs.

I am sure you'll be equipped with glucose tabs or the like in case they do go low, so I'm just trying to say, don't worry massively. It will all work out!

Have fun!

Karen

PS Edited to add, err on the side of caution with insulin to start with. I find that I go down to almost no units in the daytime due to the heat and non stop walking!
Hi Karen,

No not at all, I think you advice it perfectly practical. I do think I am trying to be too precise with the counting and what I have to take into account, yes fries may be 30grams of carbs, but if they are going to go outside and sweat it all off, then they are in danger of going too low and I dont want that either.

I do need to relax and go with the flow rather than worrying what if what if!

Thanks for your advice Karen.

Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 10, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Karen - glad I'm not the only one it's hard to explain isn't it but we know our bodies and how they react.

Louise - Karen's given some great advice, I wouldn't worry too much about the carbs exactly, heat/exercise will affect things so if there's perhaps more carbs than usual I doubt if it will be a bad thing. I don't tend to count burgers either.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 10, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LFOX View Post
Hi Karen,

No not at all, I think you advice it perfectly practical. I do think I am trying to be too precise with the counting and what I have to take into account, yes fries may be 30grams of carbs, but if they are going to go outside and sweat it all off, then they are in danger of going too low and I dont want that either.

I do need to relax and go with the flow rather than worrying what if what if!

Thanks for your advice Karen.

Phew - I hoped you wouldn't mind me saying that!

Just don't do what I did once ... really needed sugar of some description and I had DH feeding me Goofy's Wine Gums (which are not the best of things anyway as they involve far too much effort to get them down! )... anyway, I'd eaten practically the whole packet but was getting worse and worse, could not understand it at all! Then he checked the packet, and you guessed it... Sugar Free!

Originally Posted by Clare
Karen - glad I'm not the only one it's hard to explain isn't it but we know our bodies and how they react.
LOL Clare - I always feel like a rather bad example saying that
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 10, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

[QUOTE=KarenG;5137961]Just don't do what I did once ... really needed sugar of some description and I had DH feeding me Goofy's Wine Gums (which are not the best of things anyway as they involve far too much effort to get them down! )... anyway, I'd eaten practically the whole packet but was getting worse and worse, could not understand it at all! Then he checked the packet, and you guessed it... Sugar Free! QUOTE]

Thats so awful, its quite funny! Not at the time though!

Old 27 Jul 10, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

[QUOTE=Clare;5137927]Karen - glad I'm not the only one it's hard to explain isn't it but we know our bodies and how they react.
QUOTE]

I think thats probably part of the problem, I cant feel how they feel and have no idea what a hypo feels like! The closest I can compare it to was when I used to go to weight watchers. It was weigh in day and I had not eaten for the whole day. Well by weigh in time I felt really wobbly. I did my blood sugars and my bloods were 3.6, the boys thought it was hillarious

Old 6 Aug 10, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
marshall-stephens
Excited about Disney

We're travelling to Florida in May 2011, there will be one Diabetic and one Coeliac.

I'm the Diabetic and my condition is easier to control, insulin injections mean I can pretty much eat anything, and the 'Diabetic Goodies' section on theDibb will certainly help with locating sugar-free alternatives.

My Mum, however, is quite worried about finding gluten-free produce to eat (based on experiences from other countries), and therefore I would like to suggest that a 'Coeliac Goodies' section on theDibb also be made available for quick access, and that way we can put together lists of stores/products and links to restaurant menus that offer gluten-free options.

What does everyone else think?
marshall-stephens is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 10, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ryan.stephens View Post
We're travelling to Florida in May 2011, there will be one Diabetic and one Coeliac.

I'm the Diabetic and my condition is easier to control, insulin injections mean I can pretty much eat anything, and the 'Diabetic Goodies' section on theDibb will certainly help with locating sugar-free alternatives.

My Mum, however, is quite worried about finding gluten-free produce to eat (based on experiences from other countries), and therefore I would like to suggest that a 'Coeliac Goodies' section on theDibb also be made available for quick access, and that way we can put together lists of stores/products and links to restaurant menus that offer gluten-free options.

What does everyone else think?
We can certainly do that, but due to keeping 'stickies' to a minimum we'll have to add to this thead - we can put after the main introduction in it's own post (but make mention to it at the beginning, i.e. point people to the post number), if people would like to post any goodies add them to this thread, I'll copy and paste and put into the 'goodies' post.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 10, 04:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi Guys

I've been e-mailing and downloading restaurants in Orlando for a few weeks now. My Mum has Coeliacs, so I am trying to gather as much information on Coeliac friendly places as possible (it will make it so much easier when arranging a meal / take away for 10!).

Would it be of interest to anyone (and possible), if I were to upload the e-mail responses and menu's on here at all ?

Thanks

Gill

Tags
dining, gluten free, special diets