Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 2 Aug 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile Two nights in York..never been before! Any words of wisdom please?

Hello! Ive just booked two nights in york for our 18th wedding anniversary at grays court hotel. Far far more than i would usually spend on a hotel, i am a premier inn person! But I am really looking forward to it. The hotel looks lovely. Any hidden gems anyone can recommend to visit or dine/afternnon tea? Thanks in advance!
Old 2 Aug 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
18thowl
Trading Disney Pins

Brew and Brownie for brunch/coffee and cake. It is always very busy and obviously more so at the moment so be prepared to queue. Alternatively, they have a bakeshop a few doors down where you can get your treats to take away and eat over the road in the Museum Gardens.

If you'd like a walking tour of the city try Invisible Cities. These are led by people who have experienced homelessness and have been trained as tour guides. The tours have just restarted and are running with additional safety measures.

As far as eating out is concerned, are you looking for fine dining, something more informal or a mixture?
18thowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Rozzyb2011
VIP Dibber

Rozzyb2011's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

what time of year are you going? We adore york and no visit is complete without a visit to York armoury, the shambles and the dungeons

2016: Clarion Inn, Lake Buena Vista
2018: POR & Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2022: Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2025: Dibb villa "Villa4Orlando" Hunters Creek
Rozzyb2011 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I live in York, Mannions is amazing for brunch/lunch near the Minster, on the same street as MacDonald's. We like Cut and Craft and Lucia's for food, the Ivy is lovely and Betty's world famous for afternoon tea (we prefer other tea rooms though- there are loads).

Have a wander round, explore the little alleyways (known as Snickleways). There is a lovely cat trail that's free and gets you to look up. Walk the walls, my favourite part is between Bootham Bar and Monkgate Bar as you see the back of the Minster and gardens.
Personally I prefer the shops and feel of Stonegate rather than the Shambles but you have to see the Shambles. The Food trucks at the Market at the back of the Shambles are highly thought of.

Museum Gardens and Minster Gardens are nice to sit and have an ice cream or a coffee in Museum Gardens from coffee on a bike.

My personal favourite museum is the Castle Museum. Think you have to book time slots at the moment.

It's a very compact city and great to wander, you can't get lost and there are interesting places around each corner. Have fun!
Old 2 Aug 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Agree with Twin Mummy about Cut & Craft, really good and not pricey.

We were in York a couple of weeks back and went to Lucky Days Cafe. I think there are several all round the city. Nice breakfast and good value.
Old 2 Aug 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I live in York, Mannions is amazing for brunch/lunch near the Minster, on the same street as MacDonald's. We like Cut and Craft and Lucia's for food, the Ivy is lovely and Betty's world famous for afternoon tea (we prefer other tea rooms though- there are loads).

Have a wander round, explore the little alleyways (known as Snickleways). There is a lovely cat trail that's free and gets you to look up. Walk the walls, my favourite part is between Bootham Bar and Monkgate Bar as you see the back of the Minster and gardens.
Personally I prefer the shops and feel of Stonegate rather than the Shambles but you have to see the Shambles. The Food trucks at the Market at the back of the Shambles are highly thought of.

Museum Gardens and Minster Gardens are nice to sit and have an ice cream or a coffee in Museum Gardens from coffee on a bike.

My personal favourite museum is the Castle Museum. Think you have to book time slots at the moment.

It's a very compact city and great to wander, you can't get lost and there are interesting places around each corner. Have fun!
Thanks for this! We're also going for 2 nights in September. I've downloaded the Cat Trail. Looking forward to our trip!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

Check out the York pass, you get entry into all the main attractions at a discounted rate.
Visit jorvik, the minster, castle museum, dungeons , river cruise, open top bus ,all included in the pass. And walk along the city walls.
Betty's tea rooms for afternoon tea, expensive and busy but nice
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You can buy glass cats, a shop in the shambles sell them, about a fiver for a small cat, different colours for your month of birth, could be called lucky cat shop?
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

A walk on the castle walls is a great way to see the city
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
asdageek
Imagineer

Mobile

Oooh we love York! The Shambles and the Christmas shop are fab! ❤️