Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Oct 20, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Jools
Getting Excited

Following... brought tears to my eyes on hoping we will not be out priced next time ...We will go again but need to be savvy!

Edited at 08:24 AM.
Princess Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by katnav View Post
Have previously booked the airfrance/virgin cheapie flights and yes it does transfer across from air france to virgin at economy classic however you still have to pay for checked luggage. It was commented that it was a well known glitch by the check in lady and they had all been informed that air france passengers had to pay.

Having said that was more than happy to pay £45 for a suitcase when I'd paid £900 for 4 direct flights but just be prepared you will have to pay £45 per bag per flight.
It's odd that you are able to book seats for £0 cost then? or not
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Yep we were able to book seats for free too. Just a glitch that means you benefit from free seat booking but not baggage.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by katnav View Post
Yep we were able to book seats for free too. Just a glitch that means you benefit from free seat booking but not baggage.
Dialaflight told me the cost for baggage was £60 per bag for total trip - which is odd as the website says £45 per flight.
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Risky- Virgin are no means out of the woods. Using an agent means potential lack of S75 protection, but fantastic price if it comes off.
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by asmidir View Post
Hi - so I've been lurking waiting for decent prices from Manchester to MCO next August (2021) - as others have mentioned the best prices often come out from November, over December and sometimes into January.

However I've noticed that Lufthansa's indirect prices over most of August have come down - as low as £320 pp and I've also noticed some cheaper direct prices from Virgin for dates within a small window at the end of August - so a couple of examples below which might help people:

19th August to 2nd Sep - Skyscanner (this was for 2 adults, 1 teen and 1 kid)

skyscanner/transport...le=false&rtn=1

Direct from £528 (Economy light Virgin no hold baggage included)
Indirect from £320

The Indirects seem to available throughout a lot of dates in August - we've flown this route and Lufthansa were pretty good.

Hope this helps
Direct is now 331 which is an incredible price if it comes off.
Old 11 Oct 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Risky- Virgin are no means out of the woods. Using an agent means potential lack of S75 protection, but fantastic price if it comes off.
I can see these KLM/Virgin flights ending in tears to be honest. I hope not but it just has those vibes about it.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Virgin is only really a brand now - owned by other larger airlines. I am sure it will be fine.
Old 11 Oct 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
Virgin is only really a brand now - owned by other larger airlines. I am sure it will be fine.
Hi baldy.

This isn’t the case really, albeit Delta has a stake, they struggled to get a deal through, amazing though they did.

Delta cannot put any money in- that was the condition of its bailout with US authorities- so Delta is not putting a penny in, it can only defer debt owed.

They were going bust in September if they didn’t get the cash injection. They had been, for months, requesting 500m from the UK Government, but the deal only led to £400m ish of private investment- new capital, the rest (including from Delta) being deferrals on money owed. If that runs out and they cannot raise more from private investors they are done for. Deferrals do not provide the new cash needed to keep running.

Fingers crossed for them but if they don’t get back flying their main routes again by early new year, it may start to look stressed again.

If this comes off though these flights are an amazing deal- £330 plus baggage still in school holidays at the tail end.

However, people should realise it does come with a risk factor they could become an unsecured creditor, with no S75 protection.

Edited at 10:21 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The taxes alone are about £250pp for an economy flight. I’m a little concerned that selling flights at these prices means they can’t be making anything. Is it just to keep them in the air? I’d be really peeved if I’d booked direct and then found out others were paying so much less, luckily we’ve got reward flights so taxes only. How come there is such a difference between the likes of Lastminute and virgin direct? Does anyone have any ideas?

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List