Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Dec 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry to hear of your horrible experience OP. But a big well done to your son for standing up for himself. At least he has manners!
TBH I'm sick and tired of this "mental health" excuse. Its used far to easily these days, and still no excuse for bad manners.

I suffered from mental health a few years ago, and a past work colleague is suffering from mental health issues atm, but she doesn't forget her manners and I know I didnt either.

A lady I know, and known in the area for her charity work, a few weeks ago pushed me into the side of a car which damaged the wing mirror. I said to her, the word is excuse me ***** and there was no need to push me. She started ranting and raving at me over the street shouting about manners etc. I just walked away but the man from the house next door stopped her and told her she was the one in the wrong and he'd be telling the car owner who to send the bill to.
She has no mental health issues af all, just a sense of entitlement, and thinks she can treat others like dirt. She tried to speak to mevatca church event the following week in front of our priest, ykvwgich I replied, I'm sorry ***** but I dont converse with people who push me into cars and yell at me in the street.

Well done to you and your son and I hope you recover from the scare and shock and anger soon xx
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Your son sounds lovely and it’s a shame a idiot spoilt your day. I’ve had a few incidents myself with people and I feel upset about it afterwards, depends what mood I’m in but I might tell them to F#£k off!
Old 11 Dec 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

It someone really has mental health issues they may sound rude and be a bit aggressive.
Sad if some folks say it’s just an excuse for bad behaviour..
There are people out there in desperate need of help.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Tell your Son, if I was to bump into him, I would shake his hand and take him for a mince pie and coffee.

He should not dwell on this, but rise above it, and hard as it is, you should too.

Have a great xmas

Disney332
Old 11 Dec 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Every single time I travel for work I see or hear an altercation or a sense of entitlement.
Especially in some big cities
I feel many issues are we are simply so overcrowded people get anxious and wound up over the simplest thing
Every time I’m on a train in a quiet carriage someone ignores this and there will inevitably be an exchange .
People push , barge , shove , tut and get annoyed over the slightest thing .
I have experienced abuse from someone this evening because I wouldn’t open the door to a salesperson who then punched my car in a rage.
I am getting sick and tired these type of actions.
Mental health and drugs can’t be blamed for everything some people are just unhinged
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

I don’t think this man had any obvious mental health issues, was drunk or on drugs. He was well dressed not scruffy and was by himself. My son does look different, beard, hair is shaved to one side and a mass of curls on the other and he dresses in a totally different way to young lads (we are talking designer(Vivienne Westwood, Gucci etc, long coats but was wearing a leather bomber jacket, skinny sweatpants and Balenciaga black sock trainers) so I feel how he looked had something to do with it. I did notice he had a dressing on the back of his neck so perhaps this had something to do with his aggressiveness but totally out of order. Thinking back now he just seemed to be making an idiot of himself. I’m sure he left feeling far more enraged than he was before. Ds is a very calm person who never judges anyone and it takes a lot to make him angry. Thank you all for your replies.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
I don’t think this man had any obvious mental health issues, was drunk or on drugs. He was well dressed not scruffy and was by himself. My son does look different, beard, hair is shaved to one side and a mass of curls on the other and he dresses in a totally different way to young lads (we are talking designer(Vivienne Westwood, Gucci etc, long coats but was wearing a leather bomber jacket, skinny sweatpants and Balenciaga black sock trainers) so I feel how he looked had something to do with it. I did notice he had a dressing on the back of his neck so perhaps this had something to do with his aggressiveness but totally out of order. Thinking back now he just seemed to be making an idiot of himself. I’m sure he left feeling far more enraged than he was before. Ds is a very calm person who never judges anyone and it takes a lot to make him angry. Thank you all for your replies.
Just saying Mental Health has no distinct look. Most people with MH issues look no different to those who haven't.
Old 11 Dec 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by missy E View Post
Just saying Mental Health has no distinct look. Most people with MH issues look no different to those who haven't.
Yes but not every ignorant person has mental health problems either.

Instead of using the mental health excuse, it's more than likely he is bad mannered rude person who needs to learn some common decency and respect.
The mental health excuse angers me as people use it to try and excuse their downright ignorance. Then the people with genuine mental health problems are over looked, forgotten and dont get the help they genuinely need.
Not all mental health problems cause ignorance, rudeness or nastiness.
There are people genuinely struggling with mental health problems and they dont have a rude or nasty bone in their body.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
Yes but not every ignorant person has mental health problems either.

Instead of using the mental health excuse, it's more than likely he is bad mannered rude person who needs to learn some common decency and respect.
The mental health excuse angers me as people use it to try and excuse their downright ignorance. Then the people with genuine mental health problems are over looked, forgotten and dont get the help they genuinely need.
Not all mental health problems cause ignorance, rudeness or nastiness.
There are people genuinely struggling with mental health problems and they dont have a rude or nasty bone in their body.
I was directly referring to this quote by the OP.

I don’t think this man had any obvious mental health issues, was drunk or on drugs. He was well dressed not scruffy and was by himself
Also to add not all those with MH issues need or get to be accompanied when out.

Not for a moment am I suggesting MH is an excuse at all, just that it could be a reason for this behavior.

Of course it could be a variety of reasons which none should be excused.

As a side note, I know MH can range from the very obvious to the less obvious.
It manifests in so many ways and IMHO all people with MH conditions in this country, regardless of how they come across are no less deserving of help & support.

This is our story

My DS24 has had little help for his MH in this country. After a crisis in Jan, Tablets, a CRISIS number, plus a 6 week wait for group therapy which in a classroom setting was like being taught in school & they were teaching, rather than listening or talking 1-1.

6 months wait for telephone only 1-1 counselling sessions, which by then he moved with is GF to the Netherlands and has got help almost straight away. DR every fortnight for a catch up. Now on the route to possibly diagnosed as Bipolar.

He pays a small amount each month for health insurance for this.
He has had depressive problems on and off for the last 4 years & has has tablets chucked at him with no attempt to find the cause.
Now he is getting the help & support he should have been getting from this country.

OP I am so sorry your son had to deal with this. He sounds like a smashing lad.
Old 12 Dec 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Someone people are awful... they seem to have nothing better to do which is quite sad really!
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List