Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jul 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

New Kitchen - Where to start?

Looking for some help please, eventually decided the time has came for a new kitchen, now we’ve never had to fit a new kitchen and really don’t have a clue. We popped into Wren at the weekend and we’ve arranged an appointment for Friday but since then we’ve heard a few horror stories about Wren, so unsure if we should still go, I’m thinking that it’ll do no harm and it’ll be good to get their ideas but I’m worried about being pushy for a sale. I know we should try a few others, but where do we try. We will also need someone to fit, do we have to arrange this ourself or will the company do this and if so do they arrange it all, eg plumber, joiner, electrician, tiler etc, I’m really clueless and really looking for recommendations and hints and tips please
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi there, try HOWDENS we have had a few kitchens from them and they are great. They will also have someone they would recommend to fit it too. My hubby is a builder so he always fits ours. Give them a look, good luck 😉
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Wren is good for ideas but expensive, it's good to get layout ideas though.
Ours I'd from DIY kitchens we fitted it ourselves but you can get a fitter separately.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

have a look around, use b and q for a design as well as they are not pushy.
Old 6 Jul 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PaulaSB12
Getting to know the DIBB

diy kitchens have an online planner and online advice. Measure you kitchen decide what you want and use their planner. I went to wrens and their plan was going to cost £24000 but they could drop it to £12000 and that is not with fitting my kitchen from dry-kitchens came made up and just needs fitting for $£4000 and that includes unit to turn back room into utility room
PaulaSB12 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Have a firm plan as to what is essential and what you certainly don’t want
Ie is a dishwasher a must gas electric halogen induction or a combo of both for cooking
Has your washing machine to be included in the design
Type of unit finish gloss Matt painted flat doors shaker type doors etc
Splashbavks and worktops
Think of ease of cleaning you might have to live with it for a long time
Heating rads or underfloor then that’s influences flooring
Do you need a space to eat sockets for appliances etc
Big one is the kitchen just a necessity ie you need to cook wash up do the laundry or is it some where you enjoy spending time
Make sure you plan ahead for meals etc when it’s being fitted and start going through your cupboards/ the junk drawer etc now
Good luck take your time and enjoy the process
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Howdens are good but prices depend on your kitchen fitter. Different fitters get different reductions. We found a company local to us who worked out cheaper for buying and fitting than b&q and IKEA type places and did all the design too. We ended up with 2 different styles to make it fit how we wanted.
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

I found Wrens after sales support rubbish. They were very good when they wanted your money, not so good when you’re trying to get things changed that were damaged etc.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Best kitchens I have fitted are Magnets. Really good quality. Howdens have good gear as well.

Bear in mind there is a lot of myths surrounding kitchens and prices vary enormously. However at the end of the day the actual carcasses are all but identical. However the doors are where the difference lies and quality as well.

The Ladies will give you the design advice but the one big tip I will give is the electrics. Never skimp on the amount of sockets to install. I put in 9 double sockets above our worktops so no cable from an appliance has to stretch to reach a socket. The more the better and they cost so little in material when the Electrician is installing.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

I would still go to Wren for ideas but they won't let you have your plans until you order with them so make sure you take mental notes of the things you like.

We didn't find Wren any more expensive than any other quotes we had for supply only but their fitting was on the steep side and we had heard horror stories about the after sales too.

In the end we went with a local supplier who did symphony kitchen and are very happy with the quality.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List