Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Aug 20, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
p3aud
Very Serious Dibber

Started off babysitting then moved on to a greengrocer/florist. At 16, got a Saturday job in Boots working on the cards wearing my lovely pink and navy uniform! After I had my children, I went back to work as a more mature Saturday girl in Marks and Spencers.
p3aud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I worked in littlewoods mostly clothing, sometimes foodhall, from when i was 16-17, i got about 1.20 an hour i think. Loved the job but feet ached so much with standing all day!
Old 24 Aug 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I was Woolies as well worked there for 5 years in all the depts. my favourites were the hardware dept and the record bar. Loved working there

I’ve just the thread after posting, loads of us worked in woolies. I was there from 1986-1991. And my wage was 1.24 an hour.
Another woollies worker here - I think from 1986 for three years. I clearly remember being 'promoted' to record bar! Met one of my still best friends at woolies and we loved doing the record bar together. We then became saturday supervisors and would often be left in charge if the manager had to pop out for anything - terrifying really at just 16 but we loved it. We used to have a bit of fun with the SALE stickers putting them sticky side up and watching people get them stuck on their shoes.

The best bit was working Sundays/bank holidays and getting double pay (soon dropped to time and a half, but it probably non existent now). And I liked wheeling the flower trolley outside at the end of the day to water the plants.

Good times... I left woollies but went back as a trainee manager and then had my first store as store manager at 21! Still fond memories of good old woollies... but seems a lifetime ago.

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinkletoes47
VIP Dibber

Another Woolies worker here! I worked behind the delicatessen (the number of times people tell me that Woolworths didn’t have deli counters!) and loved it! Was 1984/5 😀.

DRP 7 times to date!
Anaheim 1984, 1995, 2005
Miami and Kissimmee 1992, Highland Reserve 2011
Universal Cabana Bay, Disney Caribbean Beach, Miami, Key West 2015
New York New York Las Vegas 2016
NYC and Los Angeles 2017
Chicago to Vegas Route 66 Road Trip 2019
Twinkletoes47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Woolies should have a thread of it's own!

Does anyone remember the customer service training to be "warm fuzzies" and not "cold pricklies"? There was a lot of bawdy graffiti on the staff wall related to that!
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Originally Posted by ginwithaslice View Post
Woolies should have a thread of it's own!

Does anyone remember the customer service training to be "warm fuzzies" and not "cold pricklies"? There was a lot of bawdy graffiti on the staff wall related to that!
OMG - yes I do remember this! And the pre-recorded training videos!

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I worked in a bakery every Saturday. There were 5 of us who used to have to blitz all the floors, walls and machinery.
4.5 hours work for £8.64 😂
After that, I decided waitressing and kitchen work would be more profitable!

I briefly worked at Sainsbury’s in the bread aisle. Soooooo boring
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I had various over the years. I remember helping out on my friends farm around the age of 12/13 which involved planting potatoes and picking fruit to sell in their farm shop. I ate more fruit than I picked and couldn’t face strawberries for months afterwards! I worked in a family run supermarket around 15/16 which I hated, but the best one was working in Superdrug whilst at college. I was rubbish, but the people were great and the money was good.
Old 24 Aug 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
In 1970 I worked in Clarks bakery from 8am till 6pm for £1 and they had a sausage roll machine that worked like a big wheel and it always needed its weekly clean on a Saturday! I hated it. Even my dad used to call the manageress "the witch" and he was a lovely man.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List