Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 20, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post
Donating your body to research isn’t easy, they are fussy so unless you have something interesting they are not bothered.
My Grandma donated her body to a medical school, it was basically used to train medical students, they each have their own cadaver.
Old 27 Oct 20, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The “best” funerals I have attended were celebrations of the person’s life .
At my best friend’s funeral the eulogy was given by me and another old friend at the request of the family He and I had never met and didn’t compare notes beforehand but we both included memories that made people smile , or even laugh . It was a fantastic day full of love and a tribute to her love of life. Her sons were both in their early twenties and they both said the realisation of how many people loved their Mum made the day so much easier.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

I always joke you can roll me in an old carpet and fly tip me on the A417. Honestly don’t give a rats what happens to my body and certainly don’t want people to waste money on disposing of it.
However I do agree that the funeral is for those left behind.
I have been to a few over the past few years. The last few have been humanist and by far the best kind. It’s all about the person and the or family which you don’t get as much with religious ceremonies.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post
Personally I want a funeral, I want everyone in black and lots of tears as i expect people to be sad.
You're not my nephews, entitled diva girlfriend by chance - she loudly announced to mother two days after dad's humanist celebration that she expected the tears, flowers, horse drawn carriage, indeed 'the works'... mother wasn't too surprised.
Old 27 Oct 20, 01:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

ChrisS if my lot dare to go against my wishes fine but no flipping black or funeral lilies
I never look good in black and lilies make me sneeze
DH just don’t let the ******* waste my good malt with ice or more than a drip of water other than that your only spending what’s left of your inheritance boys
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BnDamo View Post
No you do not have to have a funeral, David Bowie didn’t .
There’s an interesting article about it here bbc/news/magazine-35812014

As an atheist I feel similar to you Jan. However, I did attend a humanist (non religious) funeral a few years ago. It was held at the local crematorium but was more of a celebratory type gathering and I found it much more comforting that the “typical” religious service.
We had a humanist ceremony fir my dads funeral as he was non religious. Like you say, it was very comforting. The lady talked about his life and what he had contributed to the world. It kind of felt more personal that a religious ceremony would have.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My dad died 30 years ago and didn't want a funeral. We were told the time of the cremation and all gathered at my mum's flat and raised a glass in his memory. It still cost a lot of money. I personally have written in my will that I do not want a funeral and my family all know this. I would be quite happy to go in a bin liner, seems such a waste to pay for a coffin just for it to go up in flames, but I suppose funeral companies have to make money somewhere. Just wish it wasn't at my expense and would rather the money be spent on something useful.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My curiosity got the better of me!

I have just checked 2 local Funeral Directors near me.

A direct funeral cremation. No mourners, no service is £995 and £1095 respectively.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We didn’t have a funeral for my uncle who passed away in May. Given the restrictions at the time and the fact he absolutely hated any kind of family gathering, we had a direct funeral cremation. We then scattered his ashes on his land a couple of months ago. We all felt it was just right for him and he would have approved.
Old 27 Oct 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My curiosity got the better of me!

I have just checked 2 local Funeral Directors near me.

A direct funeral cremation. No mourners, no service is £995 and £1095 respectively.
So a good two grand cheaper than the most basic funeral .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List