Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Jul 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

I would say yes it is worth it especially if you’ve never done it before. I had never done universal until the first Harry Potter part opened up and it is amazing. The rides, the theming, the shops are all incredible. If you are Harry Potter fans then it is definitely worth it. Also as you are going with older children the rides are definitely more of a thrill and as much as I love Disney, it makes some of their rides look tame although they are adding more thrill rides like Star Wars, Avatar, Tron, etc. The rollercoasters are much better than anything Disney has and the water rides will get you soaked.
You’re right it’s not as immersive as Disney, with the exceptions of the Harry Potter areas but men in black, Simpson’s, Spider-Man, Kong, Jurassic Park and rip rocking coaster will all appeal to your older children. I’ve usually done universal (both parks) in one day with the express pass and we’ve done every ride. It’s an early start and a late night but it’s doable. I would say 1 night/ 2 days is ample time to do everything. 2 nights/ 3 days will be plenty of time to do everything more than once with a bit of down time. I can’t imagine staying more than that at universal as I would get really bored doing the same 2 parks and the same rides again and again but if that’s what you’re into then go for it. To me universal is always busier, more queuing (as even with the express pass you can still be queuing for 45 mins plus), less food options and always seems hotter than Disney as more queues seem to be outdoors so to me it is no where near as good as Disney in terms of experience and not as magical but for the Harry Potter aspect it still worth doing.

Edited at 06:09 PM.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Originally Posted by Mandsjh View Post
Thanks for your input folks.

I’m sorely tempted by the universal resorts at £220 per night with full cancellation. That’s a fab price.

Really got me thinking if we actually cut Disney out of the equation and do universal then discovery cove with the seaworld / Busch tickets chucked in.

Find a cheaper hotel or maybe villa for a couple of weeks after onsite at universal.

Not done any of that before so all brand new.

Plus as somebody mentioned above, it’s probably my attachment to Disney driving that element. My eldest just wants to do something totally different so that all fits the bill and comes in cheaper.

Thank you!
As I previously said universal is great so I would definitely try to go for some of your holiday but as a massive fan I couldn’t imagine being in Florida and not doing Disney. Teenagers like to think that they are over Disney but we commented on our last visit that we saw more adults and teenagers than actual children. If you haven’t been since 2016 there will be a lot different including Star Wars galaxy’s edge and the Pandora area with the new ride which is absolutely amazing (only just slightly topped by the new Hagrid ride) and Tron may be open by next year too. Of course it’s entirely personal to each family but you could do a week at Disney and then a week at universal. I usually stay onsite at Disney for the added benefits but they all seem to have been scrapped for next year so a non Disney hotel or villa could be a good shout for the price difference. Doing Disney and universal is a nice balance of the thrill rides but still the magic, fireworks, parades, shows and themed rides that Disney excel at and will appeal to all the family.

Edited at 06:14 PM.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Universal will be so exciting as you have never been.
Definitely the right choice to remove Disney for a visit and focus on the others mentioned including US as I personally think the 2 combined is too expensive. (We miss out Disney now)
Stay on site for a least least 1 night to get the Front of Line passes. Villa will be perfect with your older children. Enjoy
You will not be disappointed 😄

Edited at 05:40 PM.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

For us, it is a question of ‘To do, or not to do Disney’. On our last 5 Orlando visits, it has been ‘not to do Disney’. On those last 5, we have bought 5 x Discovery Cove ultimate non swims and 3 Universal 14s with a single night in a Premium Hotel.

On earlier trips, we would buy a full set of all 3 franchises, but with the hiking of prices, this no longer makes financial sense to us. We vote every year and each time, Disney is chopped.
This is great news for me as I can pretty much get both the DC and Universal tickets for the price of a Disney 14.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:51 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

Agree with the above. If we go to Orlando we always go to Universal. Disney we do every other time we go.

Universal has something for everyone - my kids have loved it since they were 7 and 5.
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We’ve been going to Florida every couple of years since the kids were small. They are now 22 and 28 and we still go and their partners now also come. Although we’ve changed things a bit they still want to do both Disney and universal. I was totally in a 7/14 day place for too long and only on the last couple of times have I changed it. We now do say 12 nights Disney and 3 universal. The premium universal hotels are cheaper than Disney and it’s cheaper to eat at city walk than Disney so in my view it’s only the extra tickets that are a cost. Again, in my view, having spent so much on the holiday I would push to spend the extra on the tickets and do universal at a more leisurely pace. We also do Seaworld and shopping from universal base.
In all of the times we’ve been I’ve never been to DC or Busch gardens as we never have time to fit them in 😲
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Yes to Universal in my opinion. Its a fantastic resort and has some wonderful rides. Three days to really explore all three parks should be prefect. The Harry Potter stuff is superb and you could spend a day exploring Hogsmead and Diagonally. Huge rides (The Hulk, The Rocket etc) should keep everyone happy and with so many cool rides to choose from (Spiderman, Simpsons, Transformers, Fast and Furious, Jimmy Fallon, The Mummy, Kong Island, Jurassic Park, Minions, Red Fish Blue Fish, Dr Doom, ET, Men In Black, Shrek, etc.)

You could easily spend most of a day at Volcano Bay (It's also good at night too as the queues are next to nothing and it's very cool when it's all lit up.

We are planning a 2021 trip to Disney, with a few days at Universal too. It was so much fun last year. Good Luck.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

We hadn't done Disney for quite a while and went last year with kids 16, 19, 23 . They were very underwhelmed with the experience compared to universal. They loved Disney 10 years ago.
Us parents liked both. Not going to Orlando for a few years now to make it a new experience again.
By then there will be just the two of us and maybe our youngest still .
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We love Universal and for openness, we haven't "done" Disney in almost a decade but normally do a couple of weeks every year with lots of trips to Universal.

We have found it a much more laid back holiday, partly as most things are so close together and I feel less rushed to get between venues. I like that we can decide on an evening after food to hit the parks or go to the cinema or another bar all in about 5 minutes of each other. The reclining seats in the cinema are very comfortable - as we discovered last year.

Although not as "immersive" as Disney, some of the things we think rival Disney
Both HP lands and the Hogwarts Express between them.
Backwater Bar IoA - great hideaway from the noise for a quiet bite to eat
Port of Entry in IoA - lots of details, worth spending time to take it in
Dipping Dots and Menchie's frozen yogurt
We love Seussland, It's colourful and bright
Horror Make Up Show - best show in Orlando in our opinion
The Talking Fountain in IoA - listening to him trying to understand a very broad Scottish accent was very funny last year. Especially when the fountain's "helper" handed the mike to the child's dad and the shock on his face when the fountain started with an Scottish accent was brilliant.

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Derbydave4
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We have had exactly the same dilemma, when the kids were younger stayed on site and loved it but as they got older they wanted more thrill rides so did a one night stay at Royal Pacific, the next year was 10 days Disney 4 days Universal and then last year we took the decision to drop Disney and just do Universal ( kids choice no early morning starts unlimited front of line passes and more time in the pool) We did 5 days Royal Pacific followed by 9 days at Cabana Bay and I have to say I loved it, so much more relaxed choose when to get up, not dictated by fast passes, eat when you want where you want not at the ADR you booked six months earlier and to top it all save about 2k over an on-site disney stay. (we did book MNSSHP just to get our Magic Kingdom fix)
In fact we’re enjoyed it so much we are doing the same again next year
Derbydave4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List