Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 May 15, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Mr. Blair visits Scotland. Day 3

Monday – Picnic with a Queen and a bit of the Killiecrankies

Today is Darrin’s birthday (his 47th). I’ve had all his cards and present secreted away so we spend the first hour of today having coffee whilst he checks the cards, opens his gifts (I got him a Ferrari driving experience) and then rings all the family to thank them.

This morning we are headed for Tummel Bridge. Tummel Bridge and Loch Tummel are yet more areas of exceptional beauty in the Perthshire Highlands. The loch is approximately 7 miles long from east to west, and is just under ¾ mile wide. It became part of the Tummel Hydro-Electric Power Scheme when the Clunie Dam was constructed by Wimpey Construction at its eastern end in 1950, raising the water level by 5 yards. The loch has roads on both north and south banks, offering splendid views.

Blair enjoys romping in the heather:

Tummel Bridge crossing the River Tummel actually has two bridges. The original bridge built by General Wade in 1730 has a modern replacement alongside carrying the traffic from Aberfeldy.

We carry on along the northern shore to Queen’s View. Now, admittedly, Queen Victoria did once have a picnic here in 1866 but it’s not named for her. The view was really named after Queen Isabella, the first wife of Robert the Bruce, who lived more than 500 years earlier. And what a view it is. As you look to the south west Schiehallian rises 3,500 feet. Its name means Fairy Hill of the Caledonians! We spend a while here just taking in the vista and getting photos with Blair.

The National Trust for Scotland has rebuilt its welcome centre and café so you can get a decent cup of coffee and a bite to eat and buy the odd postcard and gift.
We carry on along the road and come to Killiecrankie. Wonderful name.
In 1689, during the Jacobite Rebellion, the Battle of Killiecrankie was fought on the northern edge of the village. The Highland charge of the Jacobites took the government forces under General Hugh MacKay by surprise and they were completely overwhelmed in only 10 minutes. Donald MacBean, one of William II of Scotland's supporters, having lost the contest, is said to have jumped the pass, from one bank to the other, at "The Soldier's Leap".

We wend our way back to Pitlochry. This town is famous for its dam.

You can walk across the top of it and through windows you can see into the turbine hall below. The water feeds down from Lake Faskally, through the dam and into the river below. The dam is famous for its salmon ladder. They are slowly starting to make their way upstream and you can view them in a special glass sided tank which is part of the ladder system. So far, 245 have passed through - they have a special way of counting and measuring each one.

Eventually, some 5,000 plus will make the journey. The record was over 8,000 back in 2006. There are also some small trout in the corner of the viewing tank.

We make our way back into the village and pick up some Scotch pies and pea and ham soup for lunch. By the time we get back to Kenmore it is snowing and it continues to do so for 3 hours.

It’s fascinating to watch the landscape change to white. Whilst it doesn’t stick at loch level the mountains are soon capped and it’s like a Christmas card.

Tonight, we head back to the Kenmore Hotel for our evening meal. I choose haggis, bashed neeps and tatties and Darrin has smoked salmon.

I follow this with a Scottish trifle - full of rich berries and Irn Bru jelly! Darrin is more subtle with a rhubarb crumble creme brulee.

As it’s Darrin’s birthday a Tanquery gin and tonics are downed and I develop a deeper love for Laphroaig’s 18 year old whisky. Blair gets much admired by the others in the Poet’s bar. He loves being centre of attention.

We stroll back over the beautiful arched bridge and once again it’s a full night’s sleep until 8 tomorrow morning.

INDEX: http://DIBB.in/10600229

Edited at 11:43 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 15, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Brilliant , lovely photos, I love the "memories" photo to Darrin.

Blair is such a handsome chap. I love his haircut, he has a fabulous coat.
Never mind the photos of the beautiful Scotland hehe.
Old 3 May 15, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Mr.Blair thanks you for that.
Old 3 May 15, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

great pics, just showed them to hubby as he was working at the Kenmore from October till January - he really enjoyed it up there.
Old 3 May 15, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great pictures - I remember being fascinated by the salmon ladder!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 15, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Stunning scenery. another great day...and yes...Blair is gorgeous.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 15, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Irn Bru jelly?

Really?
Old 3 May 15, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by anniee View Post
great pics, just showed them to hubby as he was working at the Kenmore from October till January - he really enjoyed it up there.
All I can say is that the staff there are the most friendly bunch you could ever wish to come across. Always enjoy an evening in the Poets Bar. Great food.
Old 3 May 15, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Irn Bru jelly?

Really?
Yes. Irn Bru jelly. Try it!
Old 6 May 15, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
dorsetmutley
Imagineer

Love the photo's takes me back to 1984 when I had a lovely holiday with my late Mum at Loch Tummel
dorsetmutley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List