Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 6 Feb 16, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

New York Dh 40th Trip report travel day/day one

I got up at 530 and had a hot shower now the water was working again.
Put my slap on and we were down for breakfast at 630. Breakfast was ok but not much in the way of hot food. No bacon really what's that about. I had orange, juice coffee, sausages beans and a hot bread roll.

We checked out of the hotel and went straight to terminal 3. We booked through BA but it was a code share with American Airlines.
Check in was really easy no issues and before we knew it we where in the departure louge. Had a quick look around the shops. Dh bought some duty free cigs and I got a couple of mags for the plane.

Boarding with AA was very organised I like it. They told everyone not to queue and they would board the plane by group numbers so much better than everyone queuing.

When we boarded the plan I could not believe the size of the plane for a long haul journey it was a 757 no seat back entertainment. I was glad we had our iPads. The seats where very cramped, we are both not small people but neither are we that big. It was a very uncomfortable journey. Mental note for me I will check all flights now for long haul. Before booking!
Not not into the flight and dinner was served, it wasn't bad for airplane food and I did eat the lot. The airline did provide lots of refreshments throughout the flight which was nice. I entertained myself by watching paranormal activity on my iPad (which was a bit naff) I read my magazines and read a bit of my book.

Landing was no trouble, we landed at JFK at 130pm. Straight of the plane into imagination I was a bit worried about queues but we where through in about 20 mins.

From there we headed for the taxi line, the only way we wanted to arrive was by yellow cab. It cost $70 in total including tip and tolls.

We were staying at the Waldorf Astoria originally I booked the Roosevelt but after reading some shocking reviews I decided to change it and the BA adviser recommended the Waldorf.
All I can say is wow when you pull up and the door man opens the door and takes your case and you enter the magnificent hotel it takes your breath away. Check in was no bother and the reception was very helpful, they gave us a map and pointed out the nearest attractions to the hotel. Up to our room on the 14th floor. I was a tad disappointed with our view, but thought well it's only 3 days and we would hardly be there so it didn't bother us that much.
We dropped our cases and out we went 3 days we didn't have a lot of time to waste!
Looking at the map we decided to head towards the empire states building. It was a 15 minute walk the door man said. So off we went. 1 hr later we still hasn't found it but did stumble across the crysler building. We went in the lobby which was extremely pretty. We left at a different exit and ended up on a road which took us straight to the central library. I loved the library the films which it appears in etc. I loved the feeling of the place. This was my favourite place we visited, I can't explain why I just loved it so much.
2 hrs later we still hadn't found the empire states building, but dh was convinced we where close by. Hurray we found it, at last we paid to go up to the 102nd floor and omg how worth it was that! There was no queuing so straight up. It was dark by this point but to see the city lit up at night was fabulous.
We spoke to a lovely host who pointed most things out to us. Clearly he loved his job or people or maybe both.
When we left the empire states building we decided it was time to eat. We wondered towards central station with a view to eat there.Again to see such a land mark was amazing. But by this time I was so tired we decided not to eat there but maybe order room service. However we passed a Pizza takeaway place which looked really nice, so we grabbed a pizza and took it back to our hotel. By the time we had eaten had a drink etc. It was 9.00 and we fell into bed I was asleep in mins.
Day 2 soon
Not sure how many people are reading but if anyone is going to New York feel free to ask questions.

[APP]http://www.thedibb.co.uk/postImages/68308/1fc3cdb8fbf925.jpg[/
APP]

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tclaireh
Apprentice Imagineer

tclaireh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Great start, we went to NY in December so it's bringing back good memories

Loved it so much I am looking at flights to return, hope you enjoyed it as well!

Claire x
tclaireh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 16, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

I'm reading! Heading to New York for the first time in less than 4 weeks. We arrive at 1.30pm too so was interesting to see how long you lasted til on the first night. We have 3 days too - well Fri afternoon actually (will have cleared immigration in Dublin so hoping for a quick exit from JFK), all Sat and all Sun with a flight to Orlando at 10.30 Mon morning. Looking forward to Day 2.
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
So pleased you found ESB! We were in NY last summer and seeing your pics bring back wonderful memories. I'm looking forward to the next instalment- thank you.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I am reading, going on Wednesday, flying home with AA, so going to check what plane out is, its a night flight, so noi seat back will not be such an issue but will be nice to know and prepare. Can't wait for day 2
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Looks like a great start-sounds almost like our first night but luckily we were with friends that had been before otherwise we probably would still be looking now for the ESB. I'm going to start paying attention to the AA flights now we've booked-I hope ours has IFE!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Thanks guys, I will get the rest of the trippy done in the next few days hopefully x

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 16, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 4
looking forward to reading more as we are off to NY in August and will be interested to see how much you did; we are there for 3 days
Old 12 Feb 16, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm reading. We head off on Sunday. Leaving the kids at home like you did! Eek! Loving the ESB nighttime shot.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 16, 02:22 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Hi,
Looking forward to your trippie.
Seemed like an easy trip, shame about the lack of IFE though on the plane.
Fingers crossed that we'll sail through immigration like you did.

Thanks for sharing.

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List