Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Nov 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Win a Free Signed 2020 Edition Brit Guide to Orlando & Walt Disney World

To help celebrate 25 years of 'the Brit Guide to Orlando & Walt Disney World' we have 2 Signed copies of the 2020 (25th Edition) Guidebook to give away, courtesy of the authors, Simon and Susan Veness.

How To Enter:
To be in with a chance of winning one of these fantastic guidebooks all you need to do is reply to this post with your favourite or what you think will be your favourite Orlando attraction, this can be either within or outside the theme parks.
Competition Disclaimer
This is a Free Draw and the winners will be drawn randomly by computer. No alternative prize will be offered.

The Competition ends 10am Friday 20th December 2019 and the winner will be posted on the DIBB Forums. Strictly one entry per person, duplicate entries will be cancelled.

25 Years of Orlando Guidebook Magic!

Back in 1993, a British holidaymaker discovered a rapidly-expanding new destination in Florida and became obsessed with writing about it. That obsession translated into a best-selling travel guide, and the Brit Guide to Orlando & Walt Disney World is now celebrating its 25th edition, as well as an enduring love affair with Orlando.

With the backing of publisher Foulsham, Simon Veness’ Brit Guide quickly established itself as the trusted, independent source for UK visitors to what is now Britain’s favourite long-haul destination, and, with total sales approaching half a million, the guidebook has become a travel phenomenon in its own right.

The 2020 edition of the book this month marks its quarter-century in grand style, with a retrospective of 25 years of genuine Orlando magic. It is all a far cry, though, from the inaugural issue in December 1995, when the likes of Cosmos and Airtours were still major tour operators, the exchange rate was almost $2 to the pound, and Universal – Disney’s main rival – was barely five years old.

Foulsham managing director Barry Belasco had just returned from a family trip to Orlando in 1994, which he found bewildering as much as exciting, hence the proposal for a new guidebook – which set things out in clear, user-friendly terms for international visitors – immediately struck him as a winning idea. "It was a highly serendipitous moment for me as a publisher," Belasco recalls. "It was exactly the kind of book I had tried to buy for my family visit. It was what everybody really needed to make the most of this exhilarating place. I could immediately see the application – and the great market – for it."

The first edition consisted of 10 chapters and 188 pages; the 2020 issue boasts 14 chapters and 354 pages, highlighting the destination’s growth, from five theme parks to eight and a dozen smaller attractions to almost 50. Simon continues to write the book, along with wife Susan, and they actually moved to Florida in 2004 to ensure they stay on top of all the latest developments.

He says: "We have definitely struck a chord with Orlando's UK visitors. They refer to us as their 'Bible' for any visit here and buy the book each year, whether they're going or not, just to ensure their Disney 'fix'. We’ve struck up lifelong friendships with many readers as a result, and that level of constant, personal feedback helps us stay in touch with what Orlando-goers want from their visit, and what they need from their guidebook."

In keeping with that tradition, the 2020 edition includes all the up-to-date information on Disney's new Star Wars land, Universal's latest budget hotels, SeaWorld’s forthcoming mega-coaster, and offbeat natural places like Wekiva Island and Wild Florida, plus fab new restaurants and bars. The Brit Guide also includes its trademark 'Brit Tips' and money-saving Brit Bonus features, as well as first-hand insight into the full range of car hire, hotels, villas, sports and nightlife throughout central Florida.

But that is really just the start of an Orlando holiday. "Ultimately, this is all about the incredible lure of the place itself," insists Veness. "Orlando is a unique destination, with an endless ability
to enchant and excite.

"It always has something new or reinvented, and it simply doesn't slow down. It maintains incredibly high quality in everything it does, and the attractions know they have to live up to that standard. Walt Disney set that bar with his theme parks, and now the destination continues in that ethos of captivating year-round entertainment and enjoyment."

Edited at 05:23 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dbolan
Gone all Goofy

My favourite attraction has to be Tower of Terror, such a great laugh on it
dbolan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
akhurstf1
VIP Dibber

My favourite all-time attraction in Orlando has to be Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Especially when you ride in the dark and are in the back row.
Old 22 Nov 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My favourite attraction has changed over the years. It is currently Mako

My favourite thing to do in Orlando is spending time with my family without the worries of daily life at home 😊

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

My favourite is Dumbo the Flying Elephant. Probably one of the classics in the Magic Kingdom (although the play area is a welcome addition in the past years). Before kids I liked being able to see the lay of the land during the day and seeing the lights at night. Now with a small one I spend my time trying to stop him from falling out, preventing over-enthusiastic use of the joy stick, or just watching his face. Thankfully he has yet to find the Astro Orbiter as I don't think I would be able to cope! Looking forward to riding it again next year.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

My favourite ride is Toy Story Mania.
Old 22 Nov 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracyjj0
Imagineer

Mobile

I love Seven Dwarves Mine Train, as I’m a wuss and that’s the fastest ride I can do 😊
Old 22 Nov 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie4Mickey
Imagineer

My favourite has to be Tower of Terror

Instagram: kimberlys_journeyy
Youtube: Kimberly's Journey
Orlando 16 - Food Report
We got engaged trip 19 - Food Report
Minnie4Mickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
My favourite attraction is the Haunted Mansion - there are newer better ones, but this says MK to me!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

I know it needs a bit of an update but Philhatmagic in Magic Kingdom. Seeing both my niece and my cousin daughter reaching out to catch the gems is just magical.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread