Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 28 Feb 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
2020holibubbles
Excited about Disney

Villa pool screen

I’m sorry this is probably a stupid question but I’ve never stayed in a villa anywhere, so I genuinely would like to know...
1)I’ve been looking at villas for 2022, and I’ve noticed many of them have a glass ‘greenhouse’ style screen with a glass roof. Why is that?
Some instead are gated with no roof and I understand that must be because of gators, but why do some pools have a full screen?

2) I’m assuming the glass screen is not UV-proof!? (Ie I would need to still wear sunscreen when by the pool area)
2020holibubbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2020holibubbles View Post
I’m sorry this is probably a stupid question but I’ve never stayed in a villa anywhere, so I genuinely would like to know...
1)I’ve been looking at villas for 2022, and I’ve noticed many of them have a glass ‘greenhouse’ style screen with a glass roof. Why is that?
Some instead are gated with no roof and I understand that must be because of gators, but why do some pools have a full screen?

2) I’m assuming the glass screen is not UV-proof!? (Ie I would need to still wear sunscreen when by the pool area)
Hi

I've never seen a full glass one, the ones I typically see are metal frames with a kind of mesh paneling. I believe it gives some protection but always use suncream anyway (I could easily be wrong). It keeps lots of bugs out lol.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

It's to keep the bugs out.
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

No never seen one with a glass/plastic cover everyone we have ever stayed at ove nearly 15years have always been a lanye net keeps the beasties out but the sun in 👍
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If the pool screens were glass it would be like sitting in a greenhouse and you'd be fried to a crisp very quickly They are very fine mesh as others have said to keep the bugs and any small bits of landscaping out.

I can assure you though that the sun gets through the screen. This was taken on a November day on the pool deck at the villa where we've stayed 13 times. 2020 would have been trips 14 and 15.

We also have a lanai which is part of the permanent villa structure either under the roof or the first floor where we can get some shade.

Mick
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
as said above normally a full pool enclosure in Orlando is a metal frame with fine mesh screening

best feature of a screen enclosure is wll keep the bugs and insects out and the enclosure will also keep the pool clean and stop leaves and other debris from getting in the pool as well as other unwanted visitors like Snakes Lizards and gators

if you are renting a villa get one with a pool enclosure
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As others have said it’s not glass but fine mesh bug screening it offers no protection from the sun a mistake many first timers make to their cost
Those without pool screening such as Reunion / Encore at Reunion have very efficient
Community bug control round the villas pool areas there are a few systems that they can use to spray for bugs most set to spray twice a day don’t worry you won’t even notice it
Please don’t be fooled by the term Florida Glass it’s just thicker a bit more opaque bug mesh that some owners have on areas of the pool cage that are close to neighbors you still get the sun
They only time you will notice the screens is when one is blown out and you get the odd bug
Hope that helps
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
2020holibubbles
Excited about Disney

Ahhh of course - the bugs ! Thanks so much everyone - now I understand 😁
And yes I see what you all mean re the fine mesh - I was only looking at pictures from a distance and just assumed it was glass/plastic screening.
2020holibubbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2020holibubbles View Post
Ahhh of course - the bugs ! Thanks so much everyone - now I understand 😁
And yes I see what you all mean re the fine mesh - I was only looking at pictures from a distance and just assumed it was glass/plastic screening.
I used to think the same before we stayed in one, they certainly look like glass on pictures in brochures.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Pool screens are a very efficient way to allow swimming pools to be added to homes in rental communities in particular that avoids the need for fenced gardens to keep out children, intruders and larger creatures. By not having individual gardens, less space is used per build and community maintenance costs are reduced.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List