Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 17 Feb 21, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldcoast
Excited about Disney

Split stays

What is everyone's opinion on split stays? Seems like a waste of a day, the idea of an unnecessary packing and unpacking feels me with dread, however I thought the the same with indirect flights until I did one on the return flight and it was actually quite nice.
Goldcoast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think they’re ideal if you want to go to two places. We’ve done it a few times from different hotels within Orlando to different cities in the US. It depends what you mean by a split stay as some will take more of your time than others.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

I see it as an opportunity for 2 holidays in one. I don’t think the ‘travel’ day is a waste and if you do think this, why not add an extra day to the overall holiday if you can ?🙂
Could also fly back from a different airport too.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
We’ve done a few split stays. It’s not a hassle at all and worked really well for us. For example we stayed at RPR for 3 nights before moving to Cabana Bay. Up early on our final day at RPR and drove to Cabana Bay around 7.30am. We checked in not expecting our room to be ready and thinking we’d be leaving our luggage. Our room was available so dropped the luggage and then by 8.30am we were on the bus to Universal studios.

That particular trip we stayed in 4 hotels, last trip 4 as well dividing time between Disney, Universal and Clearwater. I wouldn’t do a trip any other way.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Split stays? We split it plenty.

We started with an on-site Disney experience, graduated to Orlando in general, graduated to splitting between Orlando and the Keys.

We then went for NY , Washington DC and then a flight down to Orlando. We absolutely loved that one.. Plane, Train, Plane, Car, Plane.

We then got more ambitious and tried Pensacola, Destin, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona beach...even better!

We then upped it to San Francisco, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, LA, San Diego, Long Beach.. Best yet.

Then we got really adventurous, Hand baggage only, Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Cincinatti, Orlando, Naples over 3 weeks with Plane, Train, Plane, Car, Plane, Car, Plane. Absolutely incredible!

Twice cancelled in 2020, but hopefully in August, San Francisco, Monterey, Pismo, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Solvang, Hollywood,Tucson, Tombstone, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas... plane, car, plane, car, plane.

I think we can agree that a Split stay or multi centre is very much the way we have gone.We ensure that there are stops where the accommodation has both Washing machines and tumble driers and we travel real light! Upping and moving really is no hassle. Packing takes 10 minutes.. or less.

Edited at 04:34 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Great to hear some positive reviews of split stays across different areas of the US.

We've done many split stays in Florida, but next year we are looking at and doing a week on the west coast, then flying to Orlando and doing three weeks in Florida.

Thinking about it, we've never done a trip to Florida where we've stayed in the same place!

It'll just be myself and my husband and we've never done four weeks before. I'm thinking fly into LAX, internal flight to Orlando a week later, then flying home from Miami after finishing the holiday with a few days on the beach.

Means we can fly in and out of Heathrow (assuming all is back to normal) as well, which is our preferred airport and we can leave the car. Although I'm dread to think how much airport parking is going to cost for four weeks!
Leyfy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Leyfy View Post
Great to hear some positive reviews of split stays across different areas of the US.

We've done many split stays in Florida, but next year we are looking at and doing a week on the west coast, then flying to Orlando and doing three weeks in Florida.

Thinking about it, we've never done a trip to Florida where we've stayed in the same place!

It'll just be myself and my husband and we've never done four weeks before. I'm thinking fly into LAX, internal flight to Orlando a week later, then flying home from Miami after finishing the holiday with a few days on the beach.

Means we can fly in and out of Heathrow (assuming all is back to normal) as well, which is our preferred airport and we can leave the car. Although I'm dread to think how much airport parking is going to cost for four weeks!
Heathrow is a major plus in our vacations also. It is far more convenient for us. The car drop on purple parking whilst staying at the Prem Inn next door works just great also.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I agree - it would be a waste of a day... but it's never taken a day!

20 mins packing night before, leave cases at old accom or at new accom, most hotels have a facility to do this, or in car if not / villa - check in and unpack at new room as when you normally would go back to the room, 20 mins. Or unpack as you go!

Unless of course your accommodation is several hrs away...i.e. if going to Miami / Orlando , but we fit that in with a beach and /or shopping stop, so not a waste of a day.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Split stay? Absolutely!
We've done this many many times with no issue. In some cases staying only one, or two nights in one place (when we've done road trips around Utah's Mighty Five and other multi-stop road trips). i think we once had about 14 hotels in a 3 week trip!
You just pack accordingly. We did it, with (older) kids too, by having a case each with all our own stuff in it. You just get organised before you do your packing at home.

We like it. We think it's exciting moving around.

On other holidays, like Orlando we usually stay a week or more in one place, in fact staying in one place for 2 weeks often gives us itchy feet!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldcoast
Excited about Disney

When I say split stays, I was talking within Orlando. (Disney /Universal/offsite hotel/villa).

Really positive opinions, definitely gives us something to think about & some other options.

Thanks everyone.
Goldcoast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List