Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 21, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Where to look for a dog

So having been thinking for about year about getting a dog, it does need to be a non malting and nothing to big, so thinking of a cockerpoo or something a bit like that, really have no idea where to find one that I know that’s not come from a puppy farm or somewhere like that, I think even though we would be happy with a rescue dog, may struggle to find the type of dog we would want! Have had a quick look on KC but can’t believe they sell for around 3 grand, or that it’s totally legitimate! So all you dog lovers where did you find your dogs, and is 3grand about right for a dog? Any advice gratefully received
Old 27 Feb 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Well you won’t find a cockapoo on the KC website as they are mixed breeds. My worry is that because of the demand for these due to apparently being hypoallergenic that it is encouraging unscrupulous breeders. They are also a lot of work and need a lot of grooming both by yourself (daily) and by the groomer every 6 weeks. Don’t get me wrong they are nice little dogs. What about an actual poodle, Portuguese water dog, Irish water spaniel. Westies don’t cast. They are great wee dogs, great companions and great with kids. Spaniels are lovely too. Non of these breeds are crosses. The problem is that even going through the KC doesn’t make them reasonably priced or good specimens. Our last westie died aged 18months and due to a genetic condition and her parents shouldn’t have been breed from and we found them on the KC website. You are best to look through champdogs or breed clubs to contact reputable breeders. Hope this helps

Old 27 Feb 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
3 grand crikey, both ours are rescues our border terrier was about £125 about 13 years ago, we rescued a lurcher 3 years ago and paid £200 that included his first jabs, microchip and him going back later as he was a pup to be neutered, we decided though to pay ourselves.
I wouldn't recommend either of my dogs though they shed like nobodies business 🙄... I would just say though do as much research as you can there are some very unscrupulous people out there, lots of dog thefts around us too, make sure you know as much about the place you get your dog from ad possible x
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Dog prices have gone crazy over the past year and demand is really high which has sparked a rise in dog thefts
To avoid puppy farmed dogs, make sure you go and visit before you put a deposit down, see where the dogs are being kept, if it doesn’t look good and the mum is in bad condition don’t proceed
Old 27 Feb 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

I think that dog napping is probably risen so much due to the cost of some of these dogs! I’m sure when I was a kid a mixed breed was a mongrel lol, it’s a bit of a minefield for sure, thought the kennel club would of been a good place to look, but looked at a couple on there and photos weren’t great and looked a bit fake, will look at other non shedding dog breeds, no don’t fancy a poodle, think they are a bit yappy and not really keen!
Old 27 Feb 21, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by stink08 View Post
I think that dog napping is probably risen so much due to the cost of some of these dogs! I’m sure when I was a kid a mixed breed was a mongrel lol, it’s a bit of a minefield for sure, thought the kennel club would of been a good place to look, but looked at a couple on there and photos weren’t great and looked a bit fake, will look at other non shedding dog breeds, no don’t fancy a poodle, think they are a bit yappy and not really keen!
Yeh unfortunately the rise in prices have caused a rise in thefts. I don’t know what they are like as pets but apparently highly intelligent. I think a lot of small dogs can be yappy although so can big dogs. We had a Doberman growing up and she barked all the time
Old 27 Feb 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Popular breeds like cockerpoos have increased considerably in price over the past 12 months as people have had the time to spend with puppies and have wanted the companionship. My folks have a cavachon and paid £400 a few years ago, they looked at getting him a friend and they’re about £4000 in our area!
They got him via our local Vets4pets. They acted as a matchmaker between known breeders and serious buyers. It might be worth asking your local vets and considering other breeds that aren’t quite as popular in at the moment.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

I have signed up to the RSPCA for email alerts, yes will try the vets also for advice and breeders, thank you
Old 27 Feb 21, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I’d always recommend looking at rescues. Not all are ‘troubled’ and there are occasionally puppies too. We have a rescue Staffie who is the best dog we’ve ever had, though he is daft as a brush. He spent 5 minutes barking at a stone cat in next doors garden this evening! He also doesn’t shed.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
It's really hard at the moment as prices are sky high for pretty much every breed and rescues that are able to be homed with kids are like gold dust We always planned on getting a dog once our youngest started school (this past September) but have been priced out of puppies at the moment. I've signed up to Champdogs new litters email list and some rescue centres and have contacted a few breeders recommended to us by family and friends with dogs, expressing interest in the next litter they have. Another route I'm looking into is getting a dog from abroad but don't know too much about it. Good luck in your search

Edited at 11:23 PM.
LizzyBear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List