Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Sorry but I think it is so bad that this drug is sold over the internet, especially as your GP has said no. I just hope that you don't have a reaction to it, your poor husband won't know what he is dealing with. Sorry this sounds so harsh.
Old 18 Sep 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Sorry but I think it is so bad that this drug is sold over the internet, especially as your GP has said no. I just hope that you don't have a reaction to it, your poor husband won't know what he is dealing with. Sorry this sounds so harsh.
The NHS tells GP's what they can and can't prescribe and under what circumstances. Much of this is down to funding and trying to start with the most cost-effective solution. That doesn't mean a medicine or treatment isn't safe or effective though.

Private healthcare doesn't have the same limitations and online services are regulated as long as they are within the UK. Part of the registration and monitoring of these services is how they provide information to people, how they carry out consultations, provide aftercare and safeguard vulnerable people. I would always recommend doing some research into the provider, making sure they are based in the UK, read any inspection reports that may be published and then make an informed decision.

pharmacyregulation/s...ent-online.pdf
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I totally get all your feelings regarding this, and you have to do what’s best for you. But please don’t take the medication without telling your husband.

God forbid anything went wrong, he wouldn’t know you had taken it to inform any medical staff.

Even if you think he won’t understand (which I’m sure isn’t the case) he still needs to know for safety reasons

Xx
Old 18 Sep 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
Thank you. I went to my doctor yesterday and as sympathetic as he was, he could not help me. Despite having a BMI of 36, he told me I would not be eligible for a gastric band on the nhs. He couldn’t even prescribe me Orlistat or Saxenda as there is a system to go through, bloods, counselling again, etc. So frustrated, I just burst into tears. I felt and still do feel like I’m still alone. So I’ve joined the gym again, ordered Saxenda online and have to show what I’ve tried and if it has worked or not. Hubby now knows there’s something up but I just can’t tell him, he just wouldn’t understand. Such a stupid cow, I am!

please know that there are people out there who do understand. I have had weight loss surgery and it did work for some time but obesity is a little understood and complex part of the human body and its not simply one thing that works for people. The emotions and feelings that go with the surgery and aftermath are tough and it would be wrong of any surgeon and doctor to do it without support and aftercare being provided. Lts of people think they will be happy if only they were thin and then lose the weight and find it wasnt the cause of teh unhappiness. I am not saying that is how you do, or will, feel but having been a part of the weight loss surgery community for going on twenty years and now as a patient advocate I am massively in favour of the emotional and psychological support that is offered now. Its the thing that was always lacking in the aftercare and they review their processes for access in accordance with the studies that have take place on those who have gone before. Some see it as jumping through hoops andt trying to prevent the surgery but I dont see what the benefit to the NHS is of doing that.

As far as medication goes if your GP is telling you there are requirements before they will prescribe then you proving to him that saxenda has worked wont remove the requirements.

I know its hard, my goodness I have had weight problems my entire adult life but I had a gastric band and lost 10 stone after ten years of maintaining i started gaining again because the body finds a way to compensate and store calories. I paid for a revision to a gastric bypass a few years ago and again I lost but am fighting menopause and regain a little over two years later. Overall I am still 8 stone down from where I was.

Even if you had surgery tomorrow the average time to get to a sweet spot if around 4 band fills of saline in varying amounts until you get to the right part. That can take a long time, my sweet spot didnt come for almost a year after surgery. Yes I lost weight but it didnt melt away. If you are serious ask yur GP to refer you to the process and get the help. This time the counselling may work. The fact you dont want to face the issues means that it will be there before during and after any treatments so that will absolutely make the journey you face even harder.

I speak from experience and from the position of someone who was 24 stone at one point so I absolutely understand the desperation and helplessness you feel, but I also speak from the experience of a patient who has had two lots of surgery and still battles day and daily with my head on the same issue.

Please tell your husband as support is critical in any kind of treatment but especially with medicines you buy online. You may have a reaction and the hospital will need to know so he has to be aware.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
I totally get all your feelings regarding this, and you have to do what’s best for you. But please don’t take the medication without telling your husband.

God forbid anything went wrong, he wouldn’t know you had taken it to inform any medical staff.

Even if you think he won’t understand (which I’m sure isn’t the case) he still needs to know for safety reasons

Xx
^^^
This
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
I’m so angry I could cry. I went all the way to Lloyd’s pharmacy for my appointment to find they weren’t expecting me and no one there had had the training, so I couldn’t have my consultation and purchase the injections. So I have to wait for them to be trained up first 😡
All I want to be in slim and normal... whatever that is. Why does it have to be so complicated? 😭
I say this from a place of love... at a size 16 you are normal. You’re not huge, you’re not unsightly. I don’t know if you’ll be happy at a size 10 if you’re this unhappy now.

Try to love yourself. You only get this one body. Treat it with love, kindness and respect.

I am overweight but I’m still allowed to love myself.

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

I don't have any advise about weight loss or medications, but I just wanted to say there are people who care about you. I fully understand how you feel about yourself, but remember that may just be your brain playing horrible tricks on you and is not the reality that other people see and experience. Our brains are difficult to understand and this comes from a place of understanding from someone who has such a huge fear of vomitting that at one point in my life I only ate about 5 foods, wouldnt leave the house in case there were germs, wouldn't take prescribed meds I needed and slept with a bowl by my bed as I was so convinced it would happen that night. Different issue i know, but still our brains playing horrible tricks on us.

Lots of people care about you both in real life and on the dibb. Look after yourself, talk to people and hang in there ok?
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by offtoseemickey View Post
I say this from a place of love... at a size 16 you are normal. You’re not huge, you’re not unsightly. I don’t know if you’ll be happy at a size 10 if you’re this unhappy now.

Try to love yourself. You only get this one body. Treat it with love, kindness and respect.

I am overweight but I’m still allowed to love myself.
This is a lovely post! I agree 😊

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

How are you doing today lovely?

X
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

I’m doing ok, thanks for asking. Working all weekend so I’m occupied. My injection pen arrived today so I’ll start that tonight. I’ve joined the gym again too and start back on Monday. I’m trying to be optimistic but it’s hard when you know that these feelings will never go away.

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List