Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jul 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Buying a static caravan

We live about an hour from the south coast (witterings) and are considering a holiday home down there. Static caravan looks like a much cheaper option. Any advice or thoughts?
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Just make sure to check all the t&cs, ground rent, site fees, get out fees , selling fees, upgrade fees, in fact anything you can think of fees and some you probably wouldn't think of.

My Gran lived in a mobile home, slightly different from holiday sites but the owners charged for anything and everything, if she didnt use their contractors, they charged her workmen an access fee, which negated any savings.

Plenty of people enjoy their holiday homes, so not all bad, just be aware.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Like above do your research. Is it juet for you or do you plan on renting out? Will it be private letting or through a company? Everything needs to be looked into as it is not cheap. I think i pay about £5000 a year at least for ground fees and the bills. I updrades to a better caravan last june and cried when i went in after renters had been in as there was damage, it was disgusting. I obviosly complained to haven and they do the rrpairs for me as ive signed up to their repair plan but its not the point. Also if renting out remember dates have to planned in advance when you want it. My parents are in the process of buying a used one which they are not renting out at all so i will have access to that whilst mine is rented out. Im hoping to reduce my rental days once ive paid of my help to buy loan.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you thought about siting a touring caravan on a site? Gives more flexibility and not tied to rules and regs as above?
Old 14 Jul 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
Any advice or thoughts?
Could be a better option to use hotels.
Alternatively hire a mobile home for holidays.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
Have you thought about siting a touring caravan on a site? Gives more flexibility and not tied to rules and regs as above?
We had a seasonal pitch with tourer and awning for 7 years. A lot cheaper than a static but you have the setting up and packing away. Our awning was kitted out to use as a lounge, had sofa, tv, the works, so just used caravan to sleep in really. Had lots of fun, was a good sense of community with the other seasonal people. Would definitely think about doing again tbh.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

My stepmum looked into it a few years back as she had an inheritance and I went with to give my opinion. The general consensus from the sales pitch is that you will make a fortune but when I probed and got some proper answers it started to turn into a total money pit. The depreciation on them is shocking. And the site fees can be eye watering too.

You might be better off looking at a tourer as, whilst they do depreciate too, are a lot less expensive than a static and even if you site it for a whole season the site fees will probably be less. You also have more flexibility to go to other areas too or you can keep it at one site.

What my uncle does it store his tourer at a site for around £30 a month and when he wants to go down for the weekend they will pull it out of storage and put it on a pitch for something like a £10 fixed fee each time, so it’s there ready for him when he arrives.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Many caravan parks restrict the age of the static van too. So you buy a new one or one 2-3 years old, pay to have it sited etc then when the van is 5-7 years old and still in a very good condition, you either have to upgrade and buy a new one or move it to a site that allows older vans.

We’ve had several friends over the years who have bought static vans, and really enjoyed their stays in them. However they’ve all described them as money pits and said how costly it is when you consider the running costs and depreciation of the value of the van
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pawwavingpuppy
Imagineer

I agree with lots of people on here, buying a static is something you need to look into carefully... It is so fully loaded in the sites favour it's almost a racket...
As some have said, some will want you to move it once it gets to a certain age, and yes they'll move it for a massive fee, some charge ridiculously high yearly rents, they'll all say you'll make millions from letting it out... some won't let you sell it privately, you have to sell it back to them at a silly price... or if they let you sell it privately, they'll want a cut...
People often think when it gets too old, they'll just move it to another site, but you just try and find a site that'll take an older static they haven't sold, the transportation costs a fortune.

Get a solicitor to have a good look at any contracts etc.

I'm with lots of people on here, stick to a tourer with an awning on a seasonal pitch.

Take a look at UK camp site (google it) you'll read some sorry tales...
pawwavingpuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as above do your research my parents had a static on a site in northumbeland... lots of small print and only the sites maintenance team were allowed to do a lot of the stuff

also insurance was massive more than their house... ended up selling it on as wasnt worth it in the end
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List