Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 16 Jun 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Lightbulb The Big Apple - with no kids! Nov 2018 - Travel Day!

I thought I would do a little trippy on our New York trip in November (Better late than never!)

This was just Dh (Craig) and Me (Rach) on our first trip to NYC, we we're supposed to go in May 2017 for our 10th wedding anniversary but due to a really bad few months of ill health we put it off. We found a really good deal with Virgin Holidays, 3 nights, Heathrow to JFK, and staying at the Westin Grand Central in a standard king room. This cost me £1100 for the 2 of us including a 5% NHS discount. This location was perfect for us as we don't like to be in the thick of it and are quite happy to walk around. The kids we're staying at home with nan & grandad for a day and then my sister as mu parents were going to Tenerife the day after us, they weren't happy we we're going without them, they were 12 & 10 at the time. Previously I had asked them if they wanted to go to NYC but they both said no as it was to busy, they're not fans of going to Central London, so after I booked it and told them they both had a good old moan that they wanted to go Tough luck for them, they had just been to Florida for 3 weeks & had a surprise trip to Disneyland Paris in December so I didn't feel bad at all (well, maybe a little )

Anyway... Day 1 - Travel Day

We've never travelled with Virgin before, so I was a little bit excited to try something new! I got up at normal time as the kids both had to go to school. Poor Craig had been on a night shift the night before so was hanging, he grabbed a few hours on the sofa before getting up as work left him home a few hours earlier (he's a police officer, this rarely happens lol) He dropped Katie off and Joey made his way (his school is literally 20 yards from the front door, if that) They weren't bothered about us going away as obviously realised a weekend with the grandparents/auntie would mean multiple late nights, unlimited sweets and plenty of XBOX time! We sorted our last bits out and my dad took us to the airport. Our flight was at 12.30 which I wasn't happy with, we we're originally supposed to fly at 10.30 but they cancelled that flight, I tried to get onto the ones before that with no avail so had to suck it up

We got to Heathrow for 9.30am, it only took us 15 mins to get there as we live up the road. The departure lounge looked very pretty with Christmas trees everywhere! I had book the Club Aspire lounge for us a treat as I knew Craig would be tired from his night shift so would be a bit more relaxing. I had paid £60 I think for the 2 of us through Holiday Extras with 10% off from NHS discounts. We checked in and made our way to the lounge, the check in staff we're really friendly, and security was very quiet.

I didn't get any pictures of the food in the lounge, but they had usual breakfast fare. It was warm and well cooked, and had a bar service where they served you. Craig had a Stella and I had a glass of Rose which is wayyyyyy to early for me to participate in alcohol but thought what the hell! We both had a cuppa, some scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and beans. I had a bowl of fruit as I knew I would be eating lots of American rubbish over the next few days!

I had to have a little bit of Disney with me so I took my Mickey carry on and wore my spirit jersey from WDW. I got loads of complements on the case, I do love it so much!

We had a nice chill out, I think Craig had a nap before our gate was called around 11.30 haha.

I cant remember what gate we went from but it felt like it was a lifetime of a walk away We had booked Economy Delight seats for a bit of extra legroom, so we were able to board with the premium passengers which was nice! We were seated in row 52H, which was a set of 2 with a window seat. Craig was really happy about this because we never get a window seat flying to Florida as always have the 4 across the middle with the kids! We got some lovely views of the clouds.

I think Craig had a few beers, something to eat and then spent most of the flight asleep, I really must look at his shift pattern before booking stuff, as it turned out I had done the same when we went to DLP a few weeks later, oops! The food was standard plane food, I had the pasta, I think Craig had the sausages and mash. We both ate it, we're one of those odd couples who actually like plane grub!

There was a really annoying couple 2 rows in front of us who moaned continuously throughout the flight. They we're dressed like they were going to Henley Regatta, and like they were in first class but actually sat in Economy. The food wasn't as good as first class, neither was the leg room, or the IFE, why did they have to pull the IFE out of the armrests? Why did they have to put their bags in the overhead locker upon take off? (They we're in the exit row ) The cabin crew kindly said Sir, you're only in economy I'm afraid, this is how it is and walked away, soon shut him up! I was chuckling away to myself, seeing as my travel buddy was counting sheep!

The flight went really quickly, I watched I feel pretty which made me laugh out loud a few times, plus the Greatest Showman on my ipad (having to restrain myself from singing outloud lol) We We're soon flying over the NY coastline, which was stunning and the sun was shining which was so nice to see.

We landed at around 3.30 which was on time, I usually use special assistance as because of a heart problem my legs swell massively when flying even when wearing flight socks, but I thought I would risk it this time as was a shorter flight. I'm so glad we risked it because as we landed a Kuwait airlines flight landed at the same time, and there was about 40 people waiting for special assistance and it would have taken forever to get through immigration! I was really tired and my legs were hurting but when I got moving they weren't too bad. We were all sent to the self service machines to get our slip for customs, but honestly it was a free for all, no particular queue system and we were laughing with some fellow brits who were staying in NYC for a few days before flying down to MCO for a Disney trip! We were soon at the customs desk and Craig had his veterans poppy badge on as he is ex Royal Navy & served in the 2nd Gulf War & did tours after 9/11, (it was remembrance weekend) we we're thanked for his service and on our way. We were through and the our bags we're ready and waiting for us. We made our way outside into the arricals hall and spotted a Dunkin Donuts stand, I felt so happy that we we're back in the USA already after only leaving Florida in September! I resisted the urge to purchase one though, saving it for another day lol.

We went for a quick toilet stop, and then made our way to the Air Train, as we had decided to get the train to Penn Station rather than get a cab. It was really simple to use and pretty cheap too, it took about 10 mins to get to Jamaica to cross over on to the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) It was $5 each to get the air train, and when we got off at Jamaica there we're plenty of staff to ask for help, both on the platforms and at the machines. We used the machine to pay out $5 and then paid again to get to Penn, which was another $3.75 to get to, again bought on the machine. Thank you to a dibber who gave us the instructions on how to do it all, it was so easy and inexpensive. I'm not sure I would do it with the kids and loads of luggage in tow purely because of keeping an eye on the kids, the bags and trying to move around as it was really busy. We walked down to the platform to get the LIRR to Penn, and the train was waiting, we we're straight on and in a seat. We left JFK at 4.30pm, and got off the train at Penn at about 5.30 so it took about 2 hours from landing to get into the city, which was a lot less time than I thought it would be. We walked out of Penn and this was the first thing that greeted us, I couldn't believe we we're in NYC finally, we planned this trip before we got married, and after last years illness, I never thought we would get there!

We we're going to get a taxi to the hotel, but it was busy and we tried to find a spot to hail a cab but couldn't find one, we weren't sure on the etiquette on calling a cab! We ended up walking to the hotel, it took about 25/30 mins and it was actually quite refreshing to get some air and use our legs after being on the plane for so long!

We checked into our hotel and had been given an upgrade to a larger room with a sofa bed and a view, the check in agent was very friendly and really interested in Craigs veterans badge and his job now. We were up on the 15th floor, and had a lovely view of the Chrysler building, the room was big, clean and the bed was so comfy!

We had a quick freshen up, and headed out to find some food. We didn't think of walking round to Bryant Park but we were seriously flagging by this point, which was about 7pm so midnight our time, after Craigs night shift he had been up for far too long, so we needed feeding and what better place than to find the first irish bar we came across! We went to the Black Sheep which was a 5 min walk from the hotel on 3rd Ave, and did just the job!

We got a table straight away and there was a good buzz about the place, with locals meeting up with friends after work for dinner and drinks. They had sport on the telly and all felt right with the world! The waitress was Irish, and born in a village a few miles away from my grandad in Co. Kerry, small world! We were hungry but not for a huge meal, so we ordered 2 beers, a Blue Moon for Craig and a pint of peroni for me! It was cold and went down a treat, so needed after a long travel day!

We just wanted munch beer food as we call it here, so ordered some cheeseburger egg rolls (Craig's addiction when in the USA), some buffalo wings, a portion of fries and some mozzarella sticks. Nothing incredibly exciting, but filled a hole and was very appreciated! We had another pint each, also the Blue Moon was ditched in favour of a normal pint lol. He wasn't a fan!

We were shattered and decided to call it a day, paid the bill which was $47 including drinks, thought this was pretty good for NYC prices. The beers were $4 each. We left $55 and made our way back to the hotel, stopping at Starbucks on the way back for a tea for me and the first purchase of the trip

We put Netflix on, it was about 10pm now and neither of us remember watching any TV or talking to eachother

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Great travel day ! Lol at the couple clearly in the wrong class of cabin . Did make me chuckle. Glad it all went smoothly. You did well to get out and about for food after such a long day. I have never tried cheeseburger egg rolls ! I can’t decide if they sound amazing or completely revolting , ha ha .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I love New York 💗!
A smooth travel day, I like your choice for food, we found the Irish pubs we visited to be fab for food choices. I chuckled to myself at Dunkin Donuts at the airport... the lost luggage kiosk is just beside it ... and last Summer when our cases didn’t make it we cheered ourselves up with a treat from Dunkin! Looking forward to reading along 😃😃
Old 17 Jul 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

NYC without kids has to be done! We've done it twice now - no regrets at all!

$4 for a beer?! Bargain!
Old 21 Jul 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
[QUOTE=WileyCoyote;13942961]Great travel day ! Lol at the couple clearly in the wrong class of cabin . Did make me chuckle. Glad it all went smoothly. You did well to get out and about for food after such a long day. I have never tried cheeseburger egg rolls ! I can’t decide if they sound amazing or completely revolting , ha ha .[/QUOTE

They are ok, I wouldn't order them for myself but so tend to have a bite of his which really annoys him haha. Was a really easy travel day, we always have a row when flying but think that because it went so smooth and he was also for most of it we dodged it lol. That couple were unreal, they just moaned continuously! Thanks for reading!

NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
I love New York 💗!
A smooth travel day, I like your choice for food, we found the Irish pubs we visited to be fab for food choices. I chuckled to myself at Dunkin Donuts at the airport... the lost luggage kiosk is just beside it ... and last Summer when our cases didn’t make it we cheered ourselves up with a treat from Dunkin! Looking forward to reading along 😃😃
Thanks for reading! I actually didn't get a donut the whole weekend, so gutted! Kept walking by them and thinking must get a donut but never quite made it! If you don't go to an Irish bar on holiday, is it even a holiday lol

Old 21 Jul 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
NYC without kids has to be done! We've done it twice now - no regrets at all!

$4 for a beer?! Bargain!
Apparently we have to take them the next time we go, cheek of it! I did love every minute and so cant wait to go back! He was well impressed with the beer price!

Old 21 Jul 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

I’d love to go to NY but DH isn’t keen sadly
Maybe I’ll talk him into it one day
Looks a great start to your time away
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Sounds like a great travel day,dh and I are planning a trip to nyc without kids hopefully soon so this is very helpful😁
nadya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List