Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 09, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
San Diego

Well, moving on from my California thread, we definitely want to stay in San Diego next year if we make it to California, I've just spent the last couple of days on the web and it looks amazing! We want to be there on July 4th to see the fireworks over the bay, and want to stay at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island which looks great and has suites with a full kitchen.

What I would love is to hear from Dibbers who've been to San Diego - what did you do, where did you go etc etc and any tips or advice would be very welcome. Also if any of you have trip reports could you pretty please post the link?

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 09, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mazzy, we are staying at Humphries in August, for a couple of nights. We have also bought the California City pass which has a day at San Diego Zoo, which I am looking forward to doing.
There is also a war memorial building in Balboa Park, that DH is wanting to see and the USS Midway Museum.
I am not sure what else we are going to do yet as I am still in planning mode

Bill & Jools have a trippie when they went to SD.
Old 10 May 09, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Mazzy, we are staying at Humphries in August, for a couple of nights. We have also bought the California City pass which has a day at San Diego Zoo, which I am looking forward to doing.
There is also a war memorial building in Balboa Park, that DH is wanting to see and the USS Midway Museum.
I am not sure what else we are going to do yet as I am still in planning mode

Bill & Jools have a trippie when they went to SD.
Hi Michelle! Oooh, I'll be picking your brain when you get back! What does the California City Pass include? We definitely want to see the zoo, as Sam and I love animals. Will have a search for Bill & Jool's trippy, thanks

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 09, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Well, as I said before, the Zoo is a must do. We only had a few hours in Balboa park, but I would have liked longer. They do a free hop on hop off bus that takes you around the park, picks up at the central plaza- don't confuse it with the trolley tours - apparently some people do and are too embarrassed to say they are on the wrong bus and end up riding around the park Check the park website as well - on Sundays last year they did a sort of 'poor mans ' world showcase with houses, food and dancing etc from various countries.
The hop on hop off trolley tour we did is here trolleytours/san-diego/ I'm sure they do 2 day tickets if you want them.
we also did the US Midway, I was really looking forward to it, and it was interesting - you have headphones like at Alcatraz, but we also found it rather stuffy and claustrophobic after a while, so might not be your thing.
Coronado beach and hotel ( on the trolley tour ) was worth a visit, beach was lovely and you can look around the hotel , use the cafe and shops etc , like at Disney.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 09, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

La Jolla is considered by many to be the best beach in Southern California - it's on our 'must do's' in our three night stay in July. We're also staying at Humphries!

I think we may do the Zoo - that tram/trolley tout looks great too.
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 09, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
Well, as I said before, the Zoo is a must do. We only had a few hours in Balboa park, but I would have liked longer. They do a free hop on hop off bus that takes you around the park, picks up at the central plaza- don't confuse it with the trolley tours - apparently some people do and are too embarrassed to say they are on the wrong bus and end up riding around the park Check the park website as well - on Sundays last year they did a sort of 'poor mans ' world showcase with houses, food and dancing etc from various countries.
The hop on hop off trolley tour we did is here trolleytours/san-diego/ I'm sure they do 2 day tickets if you want them.
we also did the US Midway, I was really looking forward to it, and it was interesting - you have headphones like at Alcatraz, but we also found it rather stuffy and claustrophobic after a while, so might not be your thing.
Coronado beach and hotel ( on the trolley tour ) was worth a visit, beach was lovely and you can look around the hotel , use the cafe and shops etc , like at Disney.
Thanks, that trolley tour link is really good, they even have seal tours which look interesting! The US Midway does sound interesting, I guess we could always come up for air occasionally! Definitely going to go to Coronado, it looks amazing, I had a look at the hotel prices and omg all I can say is

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Old 10 May 09, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

For all of you staying at humphries this year , have a look at their website and see who is in concert, they are still adding different artists and August is still sparse,so keep checking
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 09, 06:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nikki'Andrew View Post
For all of you staying at humphries this year , have a look at their website and see who is in concert, they are still adding different artists and August is still sparse,so keep checking
Duane Allmam, Son Volt & Cowboy Junkies whilst I'm there.
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 09, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

San Diego is fab, I love it! Don't miss the zoo or Balboa park, DH went on the Midway while me and DDs went shopping, he was gone longer than us! The trolley tour is good for getting around, the place is absolutely beautiful, we intend to go back soon .

DDs also had surfing lesson on Mission Beach, if you want I can dig out the details of the company we went with.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 09, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Mazzy, we had a fantastic time in San Diego. We were only there one night as we only decided to go there the day before when we were staying in Palm Desert.

I'd read Ali's brilliant trippies so knew I wanted to do the trolley tour. We also did the US Midway and it was a highlight for us. Although saying that Bill and I are really interested in all things nautical as Bill was in the merchant navy when we met and I used to go sail on the ships with him, so we could relate to a lot of stuff on there.
I hope you manage to go I'm sure you'll like it. My trippie will be around day 15 or 16 in the West Coast one in my signature.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread