Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Jul 11, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

Before anyone starts to get carried away by the $20 trick - I've tried it, and it worked, and other times it hasn't. It's hit and miss - the shorter the stay, the better, and (generally) the quieter the hotel is, the better too. However, there is no hard and fast rule and two things you must consider:

a) If you offer $20 and are then offered a room - will you actually KNOW whether you have been given an upgrade? Seriously - how well do you know the hotel in question to know whether the room you are offered is actually an upgrade on a standard room? An example is if you are given a Strip view standard room - that would be an upgrade to the hotel, but are you happy to part with your money for a basic room?

b) What happens if you offer the $20, the money is accepted, and you get NO upgrade?! And this has happened in the past. What can you do - call the reservations manager? The person behind the counter is perfectly entitled to say they either didn't receive the money or thatthey just thought it was a tip for good service? Think about it - it would be a nightmare to deal with, wouldn't it?!

Of course some have been given astonishing upgrades (it is well known that the MGM Grand once gave an upgrade for a $20 tip, for a one night stay, from a West Wing room to a Terrace Suite :

mgmgrand/hotel/terrace-suites.aspx

Indeed.

You pays your money, you takes your chance...
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 11, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post

My golden rule of 'upgrades' is if the occasion warrants it, then book the upgraded room before you go. I did this with the Celebrity Spa Suite at the MGM in 2007 for my Wife's birthday and it was worth every single penny (it wasn't that expensive anyway).

I have no intention of ever using the $20 bribe...I mean trick. For the amount of time I spend in the room it isn't worth the awkwardness and best of all, I could turn that $20 into a million dollars and then I could choose whatever room I want across the whole city...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 11, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

We stayed at the Luxor and loved it, however when we go back we will stay at the Planet Hollywood or the Cosmopolitan as they were our favourites while we visited there.
pinkcandy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 11, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
d n l brown
slightly serious Dibber

We stayed in the luxor last time we went and it was fab we loved it,\this time we have kids so we are staying in mandalay bay the pools look great and the lazy river should keep them happy.
Old 6 Jul 11, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
andylad
Very Serious Dibber

Last time we went we stayed at the Luxor it wes nice. We are going again in a few weeks and we are staying at the desert rose resort, it gets a lot of good ratings.

andylad
andylad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 11, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Glad to hear positive things about the Luxor.. Its somewhere i've never considered stopping but we got (imo) a very good deal for the Luxor for next yr with VH .. so that will be our home for 2 weeks.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 11, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Glad to hear positive things about the Luxor.. Its somewhere i've never considered stopping but we got (imo) a very good deal for the Luxor for next yr with VH .. so that will be our home for 2 weeks.
Luxor is a great hotel. Obviously times have moved on from calling it "the" place to stay in Vegas but the inclinators are still ultra cool and at some of the prices I have seen quoted recently, it looks a decent option again.

I would add that I go against the usual grain in preferring the Pyramid room over the Tower room.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 11, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ju_itfc View Post
Luxor is a great hotel. Obviously times have moved on from calling it "the" place to stay in Vegas but the inclinators are still ultra cool and at some of the prices I have seen quoted recently, it looks a decent option again.

I would add that I go against the usual grain in preferring the Pyramid room over the Tower room.
The kids are very excited about stopping there and i'm hoping we get a Pyramid room.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 11, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SHREKS OTHER1/2
Imagineer

SHREKS OTHER1/2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We stayed at Planet Hollywod ...I did the $20 trick and the nice gentleman said " If you like your room come back and tip me ...if not dont " needless to say i did ...strip view directly facing the Belligio Fountains ...Would i stay there again YES ... Great location but i do think for the time you spend in your rooms and the amount of time you spend in other hotels ..i think i would take a gamble and stop at Bally's ..I thought the Belligio was rather over rated and did nothing for me likewise the Aria didnt ...But thats 1/2 the fun of planning
Fiona x
SHREKS OTHER1/2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 11, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Hi, we too got a great deal and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor i nearly cancelled it! Im so glad i didnt, it was a fab hotel, the 'More' buffet there is also fab, we had an all day pass which was great

The room was a pyramid room which had the most amazing view (pool view with the mountains in the background) we never shut the curtains once it was beautiful to watch the sunset and all the twinkly lights come on. The lifts are so strange though! Oh and the pool area is amazing... Have a fab time. x
pinkcandy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread