Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 May 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I am in touch with the Alamo Miami branch but I’ve been getting nowhere after the original response in which they said I signed a contract - which is true. I am taking this up with my credit card company claiming this as an “unfair” contract based on the fact that I was told something different than what was in the contract. I doubt I will get anywhere but I will get some satisfaction of causing Alamo some cost and effort trying to defend the allegation from my credit card company 😄
Just a shame the same wouldn't apply to the credit card company who have to follow it up

Hope it gets sorted soon.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm sorry that you have fallen foul of this rather underhand tactic.
I have previously posted about Alamo at Miami airport refusing to accept our Skip the Counter voucher. Clearly this was to get us pressurised into upgrading which thankfully DH didnt.
Would add that we also got the hardsell at Port Everglades where we were allocated a smaller car than we had booked. We eventually accepted the 3rd car we were offered which was the size we had booked but it was very stressful.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We’ve always had good service from Alamo and have rented from numerous locations; LA, Sanford, Orlando, Washington and others. We never take a upgrade at the desk though but have been given free upgrades quite often. Sounds like some haven’t been as lucky so we will check a bit more in future.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

how did they not have the car you had booked, surely if that's the case its up to them to find a car without any charge to you
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I do have sympathy for you. I think we have all made a similar mistake at some point. You have sadly fallen for one of the usual set pieces operated by these company. Not sure if its fair to call it fraud though or name the guy. Always read what you are signing is the outstanding message here.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I am in touch with the Alamo Miami branch but I’ve been getting nowhere after the original response in which they said I signed a contract - which is true. I am taking this up with my credit card company claiming this as an “unfair” contract based on the fact that I was told something different than what was in the contract. I doubt I will get anywhere but I will get some satisfaction of causing Alamo some cost and effort trying to defend the allegation from my credit card company 😄
I wish you luck with that, but I don’t think the CC company will progress once they see sight of contract, which you signed? By that you accepted the charges. Not a good situation, but in USA it’s standard to upsell, not only rental cars, but everything right down to a McDonalds meal. “ You want large” without the questioning attitude.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I think you have your classes mixed up sorry. I suspect you booked a Standard SUV as Full size to a 7 seater is a huge drop in class. A Standard to a 7 seater is technically an upgrade albeit I would refuse it.

You mention $ in your pricing. Did you book via an American website? If so was the car fully insured as most aren't.
Hi Tom, it was a full size car I had booked (not SUV) so I expected something like Mondeo sized. I think the confusion is because the only car in the full size car row was a pick up truck (God knows why that was there). We were happy to take a 7 seater. I could possibly have waited or requested something else but we were right beside those and there were lots to choose from.

I booked direct with Alamo and had full insurance. I'm in Ireland so gave price in dollars here rather than Euro as I felt that would mean more to most people on here. It was actually 428 euro for the 17 days so good value I thought, that included a tank of fuel which I should have mentioned also.

I always include a tank of fuel in booking as I hate having to find petrol station on way back. Mind you I'll be flying into Leeds in 2 weeks time and I won't be paying for tank of fuel there in my hire car because I know I won't use a full tank.
Next trip: Nov 2023

Edited at 09:51 PM.
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
Hi Tom, it was a full size car I had booked (not SUV) so I expected something like Mondeo sized. I think the confusion is because the only car in the full size car row was a pick up truck (God knows why that was there). We were happy to take a 7 seater. I could possibly have waited or requested something else but we were right beside those and there were lots to choose from.

I booked direct with Alamo and had full insurance. I'm in Ireland so gave price in dollars here rather than Euro as I felt that would mean more to most people on here. It was actually 428 euro for the 17 days so good value I thought, that included a tank of fuel which I should have mentioned also.

I always include a tank of fuel in booking as I hate having to find petrol station on way back. Mind you I'll be flying into Leeds in 2 weeks time and I won't be paying for tank of fuel there in my hire car because I know I won't use a full tank.
Ahh, that makes sense. Well done.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Big Donald 1983
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We have an Alamo car booked for August and I’m worrying now. We booked the Standard SUV so I’m hoping we get there and see a car we like in that aisle but if there isn’t anything suitable how do I make sure I’m not scammed? I’ve heard sometimes when you are in the garage you get a free upgrade if there are no suitable cars, can they still charge more if it’s a “free” upgrade?
Big Donald 1983 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Big Donald 1983 View Post
We have an Alamo car booked for August and I’m worrying now. We booked the Standard SUV so I’m hoping we get there and see a car we like in that aisle but if there isn’t anything suitable how do I make sure I’m not scammed? I’ve heard sometimes when you are in the garage you get a free upgrade if there are no suitable cars, can they still charge more if it’s a “free” upgrade?
Easy, just do what everyone should, read the contract you are handed and give it back if there’s things on it that you didn’t ask for. Don’t be phased by queues behind you, just ensure it’s right
On the contract it should show 0 to pay. also check your receipt onreturn. This should show zero, if not query it right away.
Worrying after one persons badexperience is pointless.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List