Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

I worry for our DD not much chance of her making extra provision for her pension while having to pay off a student loan, she already has too much month left at then of her money and she is far from extravagant.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Agreed, and those who work in minimum wage jobs, for whatever reason, should have state pension provision - the state should provide for those who cannot. But that will apply to very few people on this forum, given its focus. For the rest of us, we should be fiscally responsible enough to plan our futures.
Not wanting to get into an argument as I partly agree with you, but I am a widow on a not so good wage but I am not putting extra into my small pension when I have experienced how short life is. Half of my last holiday is on a 0% card I am paying off. I am taking a risk but having my husband work all his life and pass away before retirement what little money I have will go to helping me enjoy life now. Plus I don't have expensive holidays every year, I go indirect economy and try to do things cheaply where possible and mostly my holidays are Europe. Although a large % of dibbers will be good earners and have more disposable income I know a few are very working class like myself who do not and will never be able to look at early retirement
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
Where do you live
Extremadura, Spain
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
But if we are all in work until we are 75, where are the jobs for the young ones to start building up their pension pots?
Who says you'll get to keep your job until then? A lot of companies won't want someone in their 70's working for them, so will find a way to get rid of plenty of the older generation one way or another, the government have made it super easy for companies to sack employees now with no repercussions. So they sack you at 70, stating some reason that you can't argue against with evidence, and you can't claim your private or state pension (if there is still one then) for another five years. What do you do in the interim five years with no money?
The pension age will raise, I don't think anyone can reasonably say it won't, but that doesn't mean companies will be willing to keep an ageing workforce in employment when younger workers are stronger, faster, with less rights and lower starting wages for their ages.
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Aug 2005-Eagle Pointe Villas
Sept 2004-DLP Disneyland Hotel and New York Hotel
Adora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Not wanting to get into an argument as I partly agree with you, but I am a widow on a not so good wage but I am not putting extra into my small pension when I have experienced how short life is. Half of my last holiday is on a 0% card I am paying off. I am taking a risk but having my husband work all his life and pass away before retirement what little money I have will go to helping me enjoy life now. Plus I don't have expensive holidays every year, I go indirect economy and try to do things cheaply where possible and mostly my holidays are Europe. Although a large % of dibbers will be good earners and have more disposable income I know a few are very working class like myself who do not and will never be able to look at early retirement
Totally agree with everything you wrote , I worked with someone who carried on working until 65 and then planned to go round the world. She died two months after leaving and hadn't even left for the first part of her trip. Some people on here work very hard and save for a very long time to be able to go to Florida and I for one dont feel anyone should be made to feel bad about prioritising a holiday, be it Florida or Skegness , over putting extra into a pension pot. I would rather live in a caravan(as someone said earlier) than give up my memories of my holidays with my family.
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Totally agree with everything you wrote , I worked with someone who carried on working until 65 and then planned to go round the world. She died two months after leaving and hadn't even left for the first part of her trip. Some people on here work very hard and save for a very long time to be able to go to Florida and I for one dont feel anyone should be made to feel bad about prioritising a holiday, be it Florida or Skegness , over putting extra into a pension pot. I would rather live in a caravan(as someone said earlier) than give up my memories of my holidays with my family.
I don’t think anyone is saying you should feel bad but it’s a gamble. Lots of people will live a very long retirement and if you chose to prioritise memories in the here and now then you can’t moan when you’re still working at 70.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
Exactly this, retirement is now more like 30 years instead of 10 and the numbers just don’t stack up.

People really need to focus on their private provision, I’m in my early forties and I have no expectation of a state pension, anything I get will be a bonus.

I should probably grab my tin hat right now but I don’t think anyone on this site can moan about having to work in to their 70s if they’ve prioritised Florida holidays over their pension provision.
30 years! Must be because of the area I live in them but in my 51 years I know 1 person, my nana who lived until 90 but she never worked after having children. All my other relatives died in their 60s and 70s so not even 20 years. My dad just died at 82 so got 17 years retirement.
I know more and more people passing of cancer before retirement so I find the 30 years retirement laughable !
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydreamer91
Proud to wear my Ears

30 years! Must be because of the area I live in them but in my 51 years I know 1 person, my nana who lived until 90 but she never worked after having children. All my other relatives died in their 60s and 70s so not even 20 years. My dad just died at 82 so got 17 years retirement.
I know more and more people passing of cancer before retirement so I find the 30 years retirement laughable !
My mum and aunt never hit retirement.

Like you only my Nan has managed it and that’s because she gave up work years ago.

I can’t think of the future. I put my allocated lot into my private pension and will have to see what the future holds...

Like you I’ve seen too much of life being short and wouldn’t trade some of the wonderful memories I’ve shared in Florida for anything

Edited at 05:58 PM.
Disneydreamer91 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
I don’t think anyone is saying you should feel bad but it’s a gamble. Lots of people will live a very long retirement and if you chose to prioritise memories in the here and now then you can’t moan when you’re still working at 70.
Well I wasn't meant to be working until I was 70 when I started at the age of 16 ! Yes I know holidays can be had elsewhere for cheaper amounts and throughout my children's childhood we have been on every type of cheap holiday available .I feel like you are implying that holidays should only be a priority for people that can afford to put more into their pension pot and I cant agree with that at all, my apologies if I am interpreting it wrong.
Old 18 Aug 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m in the south east and yes life expectancy is better here than Scotland for example. DH Nan live to 96, my Nan is 86, grandfathers died in their 80s. That said we lost DMIL last year at 70 only two years after grandmother in law.

I work for a pension company and longevity tables are telling us people are living longer but of course it won’t apply to everyone and there are regional variations. The problem is whilst people are living longer they are spending more of it in poor health.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List