Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Aug 15, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

$90 for a ventolin inhaler!

Left my inhaler in the villa yesterday, and although I only have mild asthma, if I don't have it I need it because I don't have it (if that makes sense). Anyway to save me driving back to the villa I asked the pharmacist in Publix if they sold inhalers. She said I would need a prescription and without medical insurance would cost $90 for just one inhaler. When I think of the amount of medication some family members take, it would cost most of their wages to pay for medication.

I dread to think how much some people in the states pay for medical insurance when they need lots of medication, I am sure a lot more than we pay in National insurance.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 15, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Someone I know has private prescriptions but on the NHS so their meds always come with a price tag on the bag. I nearly fell through the floor when I saw how much they would have had to pay!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 15, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Dds inhaler ran out last weekend (at 17 she should know better). and rather than have her do without I went to my local pharmacy (used for all our scripts) and asked if I could get one as an emergency script. Certainly it would be £70wouldn't have minded paying something but that was a bit much. In the end I had to contact doc on call and get a new script sent to pharmacy.
Old 9 Aug 15, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Left my inhaler in the villa yesterday, and although I only have mild asthma, if I don't have it I need it because I don't have it (if that makes sense). Anyway to save me driving back to the villa I asked the pharmacist in Publix if they sold inhalers. She said I would need a prescription and without medical insurance would cost $90 for just one inhaler. When I think of the amount of medication some family members take, it would cost most of their wages to pay for medication.

I dread to think how much some people in the states pay for medical insurance when they need lots of medication, I am sure a lot more than we pay in National insurance.
Sadly that is why all medication should be locked away especially recognisable ones for Asthmatics and Diabetics.
Old 9 Aug 15, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Just like the eye drops I had for an eye infection on our recent trip - $97. Thankfully the eye doctor didn't charge me for the examination. We don't know we are born in this country with the NHS.

I have a friend in Seattle who had acute leukemia. The final bill - $275,000. Thankfully her Bank of America health insurance took care of the vast majority but she still had $25,000 to find herself. Really sad to see her selling loved posssessions to raise the money.

Edited at 04:33 PM.
Old 9 Aug 15, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

And that is why the drug companies rule the world! They can basically charge whatever they like.
Illness is big business.
Old 9 Aug 15, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

I've literally just got home from Portugal where you can buy a ventalin inhaler for about 4 euros so I read somewhere.
My nephew had an ear infection and went to see the doctor- E50 for appointment and E10 for his steroids, antibiotic drops and oral antibiotics.
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 15, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
moanaminute
slightly serious Dibber

My uncle - has lived in Australia for > 50 years - run out of ventolin inhaler last year. He thought he could purchase it in a pharmacy.
Caused me a lot of pleading and big box of biccies. Had to register him as a temporary resident at our GP practice to get one.
Gobsmacked that it cost him absolutely nothing due to reciprocal agreement 😏
My toes curl when I pay £8.20 per item. Grrrrrrr
moanaminute is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 15, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

We met a lady who worked in ellenton outlets from East kilbride. he do had cancer bill was huge got most paid but still owes thousands and need £1500 a month to finish treatment. They will be paying it back for a good few years x
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 15, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I've just had a bit of a rough time (9 days inpatient with acute pancreatitis, every test known to man, 16 days home, 11 days inpatient with acute cholecystitis, more tests, laparoscopic turned to open cholecystectomy on day 3, badly infected gall bladder, night in ITU, evough drugs, drains and drips etc to sink a battle ship) and all the way through I've been thinking thank heaven for the much maligned NHS... I dread to think how much it would have set me back in the U.S...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread