Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Dec 17, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Starlet
Excited about Disney

Mobile Just universal... No kids... ?

Hello,

We've just returned from our family Disney holiday and had a fab time.

To cut a long story short my partner and I have never had a holiday alone. We have some ppi money coming our way and we are debating to return to Orlando, just the two of us, grandma is happy to stay with the kids and take them to school whilst we're away for 10 days.

We're looking at staying at the Drury inn on the I drive and just getting the 6 Park universal tickets. We love rides and want to be in the sun and with a chunk of the money coming our way from such circumstances it seems like this would be a great opportunity to experience universal.

We can either go around mid May, mid June or leave it til November again. Any suggestions or advice on any of the above?

It's either this or an all inclusive lazy holiday somewhere else but just thinking I might not be in this position again where we can return.
Starlet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have just done this albeit we are 2 old fogies with no young children.

We usually do an alternate park each year, last year no parks! just KSC, this year was Universal's turn, but we only went 3 times, I still consider our 'wet day' the highlight of every holiday, we do the wet rides over and over again, and have masses of fun.

The only thing I would say is universal can be a bit boring if they are the only parks you will be doing as they are not as big as Disney so you can get round pretty quickly, but we like to have lots of shopping days and a few relaxing days too, when I was younger it would have got boring pretty quickly, but now we like to take a slow pace.

November is a great time to go btw, not many queues, we had walk ons most days, and of course, the run up to Christmas too.
2003 - 25th Wedding anniv. St Lucia, 2004 - Quality Inn Kissimmee
2006 - Bahama Bay Davenport
2007,2008 and 2010 Nov, Windwood Bay
May 2009 Ballys, Las Vegas
Nov 2012 Lindfields Villa.
Nov 2011, 2013. 2014 & 2015 2016, 2017, 2018, Terrace Ridge
Nov 2019 Grand Reserve, 2022 The Manors at Westridge
kraftikris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Starlet
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by kraftikris View Post
We have just done this albeit we are 2 old fogies with no young children.

We usually do an alternate park each year, last year no parks! just KSC, this year was Universal's turn, but we only went 3 times, I still consider our 'wet day' the highlight of every holiday, we do the wet rides over and over again, and have masses of fun.

The only thing I would say is universal can be a bit boring if they are the only parks you will be doing as they are not as big as Disney so you can get round pretty quickly, but we like to have lots of shopping days and a few relaxing days too, when I was younger it would have got boring pretty quickly, but now we like to take a slow pace.

November is a great time to go btw, not many queues, we had walk ons most days, and of course, the run up to Christmas too.
Thank you. This was one of my concerns after doing 14 days at Disney would we do universal quickly? Especially with no children in tow.

I could always shorten the stay, makes the holiday cheaper but I just don't like the thought of a long flight for a shorter stay. Especially getting over the jet lag.

Did you do all the other parks busch gardens? Seaworld etc?

I definitely wouldn't mind inserting plenty chill days, lounge round pool etc which is why I'm tempted go earlier than November for some hotter temps?
Starlet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

My choice would be for November just because of Halloween Horror nights. If you haven't been to them I would go just for that. It's the highlight of Universal's year and is the big difference between that and Disney, disney just doesn't do Horror.

Apart from Peter Pan, a ride that can only be described as "horrific".
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
pegasus928
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Me and DW have done our last two holidays on our own, both in October/November for the HHN experience. So much better than anything Disney could pull of from a horror point by of view - but as an added benefit Epcot has the Food and Wine festival on, something else that is better done without kids.
pegasus928 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

If I was fortunate enough to be in your position and able to go alone with my other half..

I would find 10 days of Universal too much (and I love Universal). I would look into a Discovery Cove ultimate (swim or in my case no swim). 4 more parks to see including that awesome day in the Cove itself with all food and drink included, plus free parking if you have hired a car.

With this in mind, I would go for May/June.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Andycm81
Apprentice Imagineer

Andycm81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We LOVE Universal, much more so than Disney, and could easily do 10 days at Uni, IoA and Volcano Bay. If that's the dilemma, you could still do 10 days, but have a few relax days, especially with the kids being at home!
Andycm81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
If I was fortunate enough to be in your position and able to go alone with my other half..

I would find 10 days of Universal too much (and I love Universal). I would look into a Discovery Cove ultimate (swim or in my case no swim). 4 more parks to see including that awesome day in the Cove itself with all food and drink included, plus free parking if you have hired a car.

With this in mind, I would go for May/June.
Agree, 3 days at universal and we've done everything (and the third day is revisiting favourites).
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

My other half and I went alone this year for our first trip and we did Disney, Universal, Seaworld and Busch. We did Disney during the first week and the others during the second. For Universal we only spent around two full days there as it was pretty quick and easy to do all the rides and see all the attractions. I’d definitely recommend that if you do decide to just do the 3 universal parks then plan other places in Florida to see, maybe a visit to Celebration, Kennedy space centre or one of the beaches.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

DH and I are doing just this in April. We booked a very reasonably priced package through Virgin .. 7 nights at the Rosen Plaza followed by 3 nights in St Petes staying in the Guy Harvey Outpost. We have also booked a mid size SUV and tickets for just Universal and Volcano Bay. Flights and hotels came to £1700 and all in with car and parks totals £2400 which we were happy with 😁 Can’t wait!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List