Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jul 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Probably a 'how long is a piece of string question'

We are leaving in 11 days (yay)! and thinking about exchanging the kids saved pocket money into dollars soon. They have around 50quid each saved and my mum gave them $30 each too. Is $100 spending money for them enough? I am thinking of any gifts they want to buy themselves (or friends), autograph books, souvenirs, postcards etc. I am happy to 'make it up' to $150 but this seems a lot? I know the exchange rate is a bit cruddy at the moment but I do know things in and around Disney are going to be $$$.

We are there for 2 weeks.

Thanks!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyhol
Excited about Disney

disneyhol's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
How exciting, your holiday is so soon! Have an amazing time.

.. Sorry I don't know much about how much kids are likely to spend with not having my own or smaller relatives, but I do know the average price for things out there so it kind of depends on what you think they are going to buy.

E.G. A teddy from World Of Disney can range anything from $15 - $35.
Autograph books are between $20 - $25.
Postcards are up to $5 max.
If you are on the dining plan you can use the snack credits for any bags of sweets they may want to bring back, if not they can range between $5 - $15.
Disney pins are anything from $10 - (not sure)

I think $100 would be enough for them each, as a lot of things you don't have to buy in the parks (you can find a lot of Disney things - autograph books, clothing at Walmart for half the price)
+ also you can surprisingly find a lot of 'free' souveniers - e.g. The Disney park badges ("first visit"), the coin pressers scattered around the parks.

Hope this was a little helpful
Old 12 Jul 17, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

How old are they ? You will be surprised at how little tat they buy if it is there own money! My daughter is 12 and she was far more selective about what she bought because it was her own money. She took all her Christmas and birthday money which was about $200 but she did have money separate which had been given to her for an iPad.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Newbie74
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Hey! Not long to go! How exciting
It depends on budget etc. We gave 10 each pair day to spend on what they wanted. I found it easier to give them the same amount every day whether it was a park day or not.
Hope that helps
Newbie74 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Reedmumof3 View Post
We are leaving in 11 days (yay)! and thinking about exchanging the kids saved pocket money into dollars soon. They have around 50quid each saved and my mum gave them $30 each too. Is $100 spending money for them enough? I am thinking of any gifts they want to buy themselves (or friends), autograph books, souvenirs, postcards etc. I am happy to 'make it up' to $150 but this seems a lot? I know the exchange rate is a bit cruddy at the moment but I do know things in and around Disney are going to be $$$.

We are there for 2 weeks.

Thanks!
It depends on the ages and outlooks of the kids, and whether you expect them to buy things like icecreams and stuff out of their money or not. If they are likely to buy decent stuff, and you cover the snacks, then yes that's enough, especially if you visit a walmart or outside shop, where stuff is much cheaper. If they will waste money on the nearest tat then it won't last long.
Old 12 Jul 17, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry, ages might have helped! My eldest DD is 10, second DD is almost 8 and DS is nearly 4. I don't think my son needs much to be honest, and he has no concept of money whatsoever but wanted them to be as equal as possible. We are staying offsite so no DDP but snacks etc we will pay for from the family food budget (although we might get them to pay when they ask for yet ANOTHER snack)! which is around $200 a day. I just keep thinking two weeks is a long time for them to budget for. I think I will round it up to $100 in that case and hope it helps to teach them to choose wisely
Old 12 Jul 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Reedmumof3 View Post
Sorry, ages might have helped! My eldest DD is 10, second DD is almost 8 and DS is nearly 4. I don't think my son needs much to be honest, and he has no concept of money whatsoever but wanted them to be as equal as possible. We are staying offsite so no DDP but snacks etc we will pay for from the family food budget (although we might get them to pay when they ask for yet ANOTHER snack)! which is around $200 a day. I just keep thinking two weeks is a long time for them to budget for. I think I will round it up to $100 in that case and hope it helps to teach them to choose wisely
Disney branded plush ,tee shirts and autograph books are a fraction of the price in Walmart if you have a car

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

We have a car
Old 12 Jul 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJim
Excited about Disney

Maybe split the money in half so they get half for the first week, then the rest for the second week. Obviously any money left from the first week will be extra to spend if they still have some left over!
JoJim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We give them $200 each last year, planning on the same for this year too
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List