Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Sep 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyHoneymoon
Very Serious Dibber

DisneyHoneymoon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Travel insurance pre-existing conditon

I have never thought about this before and I think we may have been doing this wrong, but when we declare a pre-existing medical condition on travel insurance, do they mean conditions that are pre-existing as in before the trip, or ever?
My husband suffered with sciatica 9 years ago, but was treated with an epidural and hasn't had any issues since. Is that something that I would have to declare?
If yes, how far do I need to go back? I had a broken arm, that didn't grow back quite right as a kid, but that hasn't affected me since.
I always thought a pre-existing condition would be classed as something that happened before the holiday, but will still be an "issue" during the holiday, such as diabetes.
October 2019 --- All Stars solo trip | April 2019 --- Disney's Old Key West | 2017 --- Disney's Port Orleans Riverside | 2016 --- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort | 2015 --- Disney's Old Key West | 2002 --- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort | 1998 --- Disney's (former) Dixie Landings
DisneyHoneymoon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Yes yes yes !
Declare anything you have ever had no matter how small.

USA medial bills are not funny.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Our policy was anything that occurred within the last two years, but as the previous poster I would declare everything. But I'm a worrier!
lovemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Having just paid Boots Ł850 for our annual policy premium this is what I recall by doing it on line. Other on-line companies questions were very similar. These were not price comparison sites but the broker themselves.

The opening questions on all of them, apart from name & address etc., was have you ever had any illnesses or operations in relation to heart, respiratory, cancer and a few other serious conditions. We had to tick yes to cancers in 2009 and 2015.

After that the questions moved on to have you had any diagnoses, treatments etc. in the last couple of years.

All I can say is answer everything truthfully. If you need hospital treatment over there which the insurers consider was due to an undeclared PEMC you may not be covered.

Not all PEMCs increase the premium by the way but they must be noted on the policy.

Mick
Old 11 Sep 17, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

I agree with the others, declare everything.

My mum is coming with us next year and she has a stoma and she's had it for over 40 years and no problems but it wasn't until someone on here mentioned it that we thought about adding it.

Add everything to make sure, you don't want to be working on your holiday of a lifetime

WDW - 2005, 2010, 2014, 2018
DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyHoneymoon
Very Serious Dibber

DisneyHoneymoon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We get a 20% discount on insurance with Aviva, because we already have insurance with them, so I went on their website directly and their questions seem to be different to comparison website ones. Found this in the travel documents for a quote:

Do I need to tell Aviva about my pre- existing medical conditions?
Yes. Please call the Customer Service Number to tell them if you, or any
other insured persons have received advice, medication or treatment for any
serious, chronic or recurring illness, injury or disease in the last 12 months, or
investigations or referrals for any undiagnosed conditions.

I would honestly answer "no" to all of their questions, because his sciatica was 9 years ago.
October 2019 --- All Stars solo trip | April 2019 --- Disney's Old Key West | 2017 --- Disney's Port Orleans Riverside | 2016 --- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort | 2015 --- Disney's Old Key West | 2002 --- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort | 1998 --- Disney's (former) Dixie Landings
DisneyHoneymoon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Mobile

If you need medical assistance in the state's then you will first be asked if you have got insurance. Your insurance will hopefully deal with the problem. But if you incur a huge bill and the insurance saysnot down to us because of a non declared technicality then the hospital can ask the authorities to stop uoufrom leaving the country until an arrangement to pay is arrived at. I declare everything.
Old 11 Sep 17, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Tell them everything. We have insurance as part of our bank account and I always ring before we go and give them a list of anything that has happened since we booked now just to be on the safe side. So far nothing has had any impact on the cover pre or post trip. The main issue is if you don't tell them not that you had a problem. They can tell you if that will still be covered when you ring. Always worth being safe.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyHoneymoon View Post
We get a 20% discount on insurance with Aviva, because we already have insurance with them, so I went on their website directly and their questions seem to be different to comparison website ones. Found this in the travel documents for a quote:

Do I need to tell Aviva about my pre- existing medical conditions?
Yes. Please call the Customer Service Number to tell them if you, or any
other insured persons have received advice, medication or treatment for any
serious, chronic or recurring illness, injury or disease in the last 12 months, or
investigations or referrals for any undiagnosed conditions.

I would honestly answer "no" to all of their questions, because his sciatica was 9 years ago.
You had me doubting (it's an age thing ) the Boots questions that I quoted in my post above so I just had a quick look at the on-line application form. The very first medical question asked whether any of the insured has a "significant medical history".

It then says that significant medical history would include ever being diagnosed or treated for; any heart or circulatory condition, any type of cancer, a stroke, high blood pressure and any type of diabetes.

We both obviously had to answer yes so maybe Aviva aren't as stringent only going back 12 months.

Mick