Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 14, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Car hire fuel question

Hi there

I'm just looking into car hire and we have always paid for the first tank of fuel and additional driver package before, but I notice that lots of you take the car without. So am I right in thinking you have to bring the car back with full tank unlike what we have always done, brought it back empty? Also dh reckons there isn't a lot of difference in the price once you take into account buying the fuel to top it up on return, is that right?

Was just wondering why the majority of you guys do it the other way round to us and if we were missing something lol

Thanks
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think it is generally cheaper to only have one driver and buy your fuel. Basically if you buy the fuel included two driver package and only one person drives you are paying too much for a tank of fuel.

This is of course a generalisation the specific package you are looking at may be different.

Sorry just to add yes generally you do have to fill up and bring it back full.
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

We did it that way because we only had one driver and the fuel for the whole 2weeks and taking it back full only cost us 80 dollars so for us it was cheaper
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
norriebhoy
Apprentice Imagineer

We always pay for a tank off fuel, then fill it as necessary. I also don't care how much is in the tank before I take it back, I'm not going to spend the last few days of the holiday watching the fuel gauge, if the tank is half full when I take it back so be it, fuel is very cheap and is counted in the spending money.
Old 6 Jan 14, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lovesholidays View Post
Hi there

I'm just looking into car hire and we have always paid for the first tank of fuel and additional driver package before, but I notice that lots of you take the car without. So am I right in thinking you have to bring the car back with full tank unlike what we have always done, brought it back empty? Also dh reckons there isn't a lot of difference in the price once you take into account buying the fuel to top it up on return, is that right?

Was just wondering why the majority of you guys do it the other way round to us and if we were missing something lol

Thanks
You are right - bring the car back full.

There is a bit of a saving - but the point is you don't have to try and judge your last tank being empty on return.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post

I am the only driver and we don't prepay fuel at this end but do when picking the car up. The rental companies no longer charge silly prices although the garages around the airport still do.

We find it suits us better to pay for the full tank at the rental desk and we don't mind handing the car back with a few dollars worth still in the tank.

If you do go with handing back with a full tank make sure it is full and fill up at a Gas Station before you get in the vicinity of the airports.

Alison
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We fill up on the return journey... we always make sure it is full to the brim so the needles stays on full when we hand it back!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

Originally Posted by florida buff View Post
I am the only driver and we don't prepay fuel at this end but do when picking the car up. The rental companies no longer charge silly prices although the garages around the airport still do.

We find it suits us better to pay for the full tank at the rental desk and we don't mind handing the car back with a few dollars worth still in the tank.

If you do go with handing back with a full tank make sure it is full and fill up at a Gas Station before you get in the vicinity of the airports.

Alison
We do this as well, assuming you use that first full tank the cost difference is minimal.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread