Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 14, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

i'm in the pre-pay camp. For a few bucks extra I would rather not have the hassle filling the car up on the way back to the airport and fretting if the gauge has moved slightly and getting stung for a re-fuelling charge. As ive spent £1ks on the holiday I cant be bothered if the tank has a quarter of tank or so left in so never run it down to fumes
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mousemad
Imagineer

mousemad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
As mentioned earlier - while it is cheaper this is not the main reason. The main reason is not having to try and judge fuel when returning and trying to get as close to empty as possible. You can never tell when empty is until you run out but you can tell where full is.

BTW - There is no searching for gas stations - they are everywhere.
This is the main reason we choose to take it back full. We did the prepay fuel a couple of years ago & trying to gauge fuel was a nightmare. We thought we had more than enough to get to Sanford, however the traffic on the I4 at a standstill & was horrendous & we ended up having to pull off & get more fuel. I was panicking that we were going to run out before we could get to a gas station. So now we like to fill up ourselves so that wont happen again, even if we've used some, I dont mind paying for the extra to fill the tank to full on return just means we don't have to worry about running out.
'18 Madeira beach*'17 Vero beach*'16 40th wedding trip*'15 Siesta Key,Barefoot*'14 Lilli&Joe 1st trip*'13 Cruise,Ft L'dale & AMI*'12 Barefoot,AMI*'11 12go2c Harry*'11 DH B'day Cruise*'10 Barefoot*09 Ft L'dale,Kissimmee*07 Big50,Orlando,Cruise*07 Barefoot*06 Kissimmee*05 Orlando*02 San Diego,Vegas,LA*99 San Diego,Vegas,LA*93 Kissimmee,Clearwater*90 Orlando*81, Ft L'dale,KeyWest,Orlando
mousemad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeC1964
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mousemad View Post
This is the main reason we choose to take it back full. We did the prepay fuel a couple of years ago & trying to gauge fuel was a nightmare. We thought we had more than enough to get to Sanford, however the traffic on the I4 at a standstill & was horrendous & we ended up having to pull off & get more fuel. I was panicking that we were going to run out before we could get to a gas station. So now we like to fill up ourselves so that wont happen again, even if we've used some, I dont mind paying for the extra to fill the tank to full on return just means we don't have to worry about running out.
Yeah, think I'm erring on the side of not pre-paying. We'll just fill up on the way to the airport.
Old 29 Jul 14, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Pre-pay for me

Couldn't care less about leaving approx 10 dollars worth of fuel in the car when I'm returning it after spending 10 thousand dollars on the holiday

Paid 3:38 per gallon pre-pay last Saturday - full tank for a Tahoe is 85 dollars so if I leave it back at 1/8 full; it will only cost me 10 dollars

3:38 a gallon for regular unleaded is more than good too as have been watching prices around

Got fuel today at 3:29 a gallon
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 14, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mousemad
Imagineer

mousemad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by louli View Post
Pre-pay for me

Couldn't care less about leaving approx 10 dollars worth of fuel in the car when I'm returning it after spending 10 thousand dollars on the holiday

Paid 3:38 per gallon pre-pay last Saturday - full tank for a Tahoe is 85 dollars so if I leave it back at 1/8 full; it will only cost me 10 dollars

3:38 a gallon for regular unleaded is more than good too as have been watching prices around

Got fuel today at 3:29 a gallon
Don't think its about cost or how much fuel is left in the car, I'd much rather go with a full tank & pay to fill up the extra at the airport, no matter what the charge. For us its about peace on mind, not what fuel is or isn't left in the tank! I don't see anything wrong with saving a few $$ on the price of fuel into the bargain. Its the same as people worrying about the $$ rate when really it only amounts to pence difference & lets face it , everyone likes to think they got a bargain!
'18 Madeira beach*'17 Vero beach*'16 40th wedding trip*'15 Siesta Key,Barefoot*'14 Lilli&Joe 1st trip*'13 Cruise,Ft L'dale & AMI*'12 Barefoot,AMI*'11 12go2c Harry*'11 DH B'day Cruise*'10 Barefoot*09 Ft L'dale,Kissimmee*07 Big50,Orlando,Cruise*07 Barefoot*06 Kissimmee*05 Orlando*02 San Diego,Vegas,LA*99 San Diego,Vegas,LA*93 Kissimmee,Clearwater*90 Orlando*81, Ft L'dale,KeyWest,Orlando
mousemad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 14, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

peace of mind for what?
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 14, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rsvdaz View Post
peace of mind for what?
Peace of mind knowing they have plenty of fuel in the tank instead of a risk of running on fumes. Ya just never know with the traffic. Anything can happen.
We're going to return our car full...fill it up when we drive to the airport and then top off right before we return the car.
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 14, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I asked because the poster said it doesn't matter what is left in the tank... So why risk running on fumes?
Old 30 Jul 14, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rsvdaz View Post
I asked because the poster said it doesn't matter what is left in the tank... So why risk running on fumes?
Because it is human nature to get the most out of it. I did this when I used to pre-pay and I know others who do the same.
Filling up at the end is a very trivial activity.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 14, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ran my Tahoe for 60 Miles on less than 1/4 tank and still didn't hit 1/8

So, Davenport to Airport is about 40 miles so will make sure I'm at 1/4 full or less and then the worry of "driving on fumes" won't apply

Guess we all choose our choices differently
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread