Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 18 May 15, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fatboytez
Very Serious Dibber

Love driving in florida but when first went back in 96 we had two artics one either side overtaking and did scare me and the kids but you get use to it.
fatboytez is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 15, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
herby247
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Out here just now for three weeks and Dive the I4 every day. It seems no different from the previous 16 trips, just more lanes.

Secret is not to trust wing mirrors, always glance over shoulder before moving lanes. Lots of cars can be sitting in the Blind spot just around 30 to 45 degrees behind you in the next lane. Look in the mirror...no one there, look over shoulder and there they are!
I agree mirror signal manoeuvre UK styleeee goes oot the window here, ALWAYS have a check over your shoulder, cars litterly do come from nowhere!
Although the Ford Explorer SUV we are in does have a very handy extra mirror on top of the wing mirrors to allow you to see down the body of the car and your blind spot...has saved me a few times.
Def think having an SUV and being higher seated up is a bonus and only type of car I'd take from now on.
Like I said in my original post, be decisive and act safely and quickly or the vehicle next to you will!
herby247 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 15, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Never had the problem of someone in my blind spot, that being said I'm usually the quickest thing on i4.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 15, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Am I right in thinking it's an offence to 'hog' the middle lane now? I'm sure I remember seeing something about £1000 fine if you're caught doing it.
I thought that something came out recently where they can impose on the spot fines...but not sure to be honest
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 15, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

I kind of like the undertaking bit shame we cant do it here,There are so many people that dont understand keep to the leftwhen driving.
There driving along at 20mph in lane 2 on a duel carriageway and nobody can pass,

If you keep your wits about you and look all round you would see cars overtaking no matter what side they did it on
Old 19 May 15, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have been hiring cars and driving in the US since 1976 and up until Mobile Phones had a text facility I would say American drivers were really good.
However those devices changed everything for the worse - a bit like here!
Undertaking doesnt worry me as its the norm. I tend to pull over a lane if I am below the speed limit and due to bigger cars and hence bigger windows I dont find blind spots an issue.
So in summary I think American drivers are ok as long as they arent texting. If they are they are deadly!

PS Got undertaken just after the Severn Bridge toll driving home yesterday. Bloke was a nutter so he had the 10 second horn blast and the finger:angry:

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 15, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Originally Posted by m&g 2 disney View Post
I`ve driven in Florida 4 times and have always found it ok must be because i`ve spent many happy days driving around london and birmingham not to mention coventry's lovely inner ring road, i actually find driving in florida more relaxing except last time when i got pulled for not moving over a lane because a police car was parked on the verge, just got a friendly lecture on the rules of the road
Just say coventry's ring road is the most terrifying driving experience i have ever had!

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 15, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jamie27good
Very Serious Dibber

when we was their a few years back we was talking to someone from new york and he was complaining about how bad the floridian drivers were

orlando 04,06,08,10,13,15,19,21
jamie27good is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 15, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy Gumdrops
Helping Minnie

Im over in Florida at moment and have always had a car over here, yes it can be very daunting, but I live in the South East and drive in London and the M25 on a daily basis and just go with the flow over here, never really had a problem but can appreciate those of you that do. Great post, certainly gets people talking, and a good old rant can make you feel a whole lot better
Old 19 May 15, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
beezer
Serious Dibber

Don't usually have a problem with the Florida driving . Except what's really annoying is when someone is at the lights in the left lane and suddenly wants to turn right as the lights go green .
Remember a lot of these people will come from all over the states and some probably live in places where they never see a traffic jam , plus other non USA drivers . Can always tell the Brits though -they're the ones driving correctly and with good manners !