Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Sep 16, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

As a matter of interest are any of these Avis issues occuring when they are booked via a BA Flydrive or it just for direct Avis bookings?

I would have hoped BA would get involved and put pressure on if the Avis agents are doing this on their Flydrive bookings.
Old 26 Sep 16, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

This is why I avoid Avis (and several others)...
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Libbyimo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
As a matter of interest are any of these Avis issues occuring when they are booked via a BA Flydrive or it just for direct Avis bookings?

I would have hoped BA would get involved and put pressure on if the Avis agents are doing this on their Flydrive bookings.
We were BA this year with avis , the guy behind the desk couldnt have been nicer ,didnt have the car we booked ,upgraded us to a massive suv thingy at no extra cost , we must have been lucky.
Libbyimo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It doesn't matter who you book it through the desk clerks are still on commission and will still try to up-sell you stuff. It's not BA's/Virgin's or anyone else's problem. It's also not just Avis, it's every single car rental company.

It's something everyone needs to be aware of and saying 'I was tired after a long journey' won't let you off any over payments they've added on and you've missed!

I may sound harsh but it happens over and over again. A little research goes a long way.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Skip the counter and similar systems aren't fool proof though. As anyone who seen my post about collecting our car will know I was hit with a bill for $3700 for our car with Hertz taking our prepaid rate as just a deposit. Fly so and sos. Managed to get it sorted at the desk but it shows that you're not protected from everything going straight to the garage.
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Was this Avis at MCO?

The SFB Avis/Budget clerks are pretty OK in my experience. There's one younger guy Michael who's a bit pushy - tried telling me there was a '$1000 excess on my rental' unless I went for all his usual up-selling extras - but he was quite easy to put straight . The older guy and lady clerk there are fine.

The trouble is, as TM says, boycotting Avis isn't necessarily the solution as any of the rental firms can have obnoxiously pushy desk clerks making up any rubbish to get commission.

It's really sad that car pick-up can be such a unpleasant experience just as you're raring to get started on your otherwise great holiday.
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Whitequeen View Post
It doesn't matter who you book it through the desk clerks are still on commission and will still try to up-sell you stuff. It's not BA's/Virgin's or anyone else's problem. It's also not just Avis, it's every single car rental company.

It's something everyone needs to be aware of and saying 'I was tired after a long journey' won't let you off any over payments they've added on and you've missed!

I may sound harsh but it happens over and over again. A little research goes a long way.
I would say Alamo are better than most. You can use a computerised kiosk if you're worried about the hard sell or, better still, skip the counter.

However, when I've used the counter they only ever try and sell me breakdown cover. If I politely refuse they say no more.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
I would say Alamo are better than most. You can use a computerised kiosk if you're worried about the hard sell or, better still, skip the counter.

However, when I've used the counter they only ever try and sell me breakdown cover. If I politely refuse they say no more.
I would agree with you having tried most of them. Thrifty was the worse we ever had. I very nearly poked the guys eyes out when he threw the paperwork at me when we refused everything he kept offering.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Whitequeen View Post
I would agree with you having tried most of them. Thrifty was the worse we ever had. I very nearly poked the guys eyes out when he threw the paperwork at me when we refused everything he kept offering.
If he had thrown the paperwork at me I would have thrown it straight back and told him to pick it up! Rude person.

My old Boss threw some papers at me once. Big mistake! I kicked them under his desk and walked out telling him to get off his fat ≈≈≈≈ and clean the office.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
If he had thrown the paperwork at me I would have thrown it straight back and told him to pick it up! Rude person.

My old Boss threw some papers at me once. Big mistake! I kicked them under his desk and walked out telling him to get off his fat ≈≈≈≈ and clean the office.
Lol. My OH made me walk away in case we ended up without a car at all.

West Coast Visits-5
Closed Thread