Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 29 Dec 16, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Always_dreaming
Excited about Disney

Question Sorting our own car hire

Hi

At Easter when we visited we booked our car hire through Virgin fly drive so didn't have to worry about browsing car hire places ourselves. But for our 2017 visit, we are booking flights, and car hire separately.

Where do I start? I have a Brit Guide book thingey so I am aware I can get things a little cheaper on Alamo. Is Alamo the way to go? Or does anyone always use a different company and always happy with them? We will need to hire a sat nav too.

Thanks
Always_dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The reason most of us use Alamo is because you can go straight to the garage and pick your own car. They have a newish fleet the same as Avis and Hertz.
Brits is not bad for prices (you dont need the book!) also Virgin Atlantic who use Alamo as a stand alone hire.
Then you have all the other 3rd party suppliers.
Dont use American websites they dont include Insurance.

Try discountfloridacarhire as Andy does a good deal on Sat Navs as well, and you can book with just a deposit.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bullpeppar
Imagineer

Bullpeppar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Try http://discount florida car hire, they are also a Dibb advertiser and we have gotten a wonderful price from Andy. If the price drops with the supplier and you email him, he will reduce your price. We have booked a full size SUV with Alamo through him.

DLP-Santa Fe '01DLP-Cheyenne '03Quality Inn Jul'05 Oak Plantation Resort-Jul'07-3wksDLP-Sequoia Dec'08Hamlet Crt-Jul'09-3wksHamlet Crt,NY,HRH-Jul'11-3wksRPR & Rotonda-Jul'12 Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'13-3wksRPR,Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'14Watersong,RPR,Rotonda Jul'15-3 wksWatersong,RPR,Rotonda-Jul'17-3wks LGI, Watersong,RPR-July ‘19
Bullpeppar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Always_dreaming
Excited about Disney

Thank you for that info.

Just tried Alamo Brits and we need a 7 seater Dodge Grand Caravan or similar for 14 Oct - 27 Oct 2017 and it's coming up as £445. I'm not really sure what is a good price and what isn't? Ha ha
Always_dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bullpeppar
Imagineer

Bullpeppar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Great minds Tom and all that

DLP-Santa Fe '01DLP-Cheyenne '03Quality Inn Jul'05 Oak Plantation Resort-Jul'07-3wksDLP-Sequoia Dec'08Hamlet Crt-Jul'09-3wksHamlet Crt,NY,HRH-Jul'11-3wksRPR & Rotonda-Jul'12 Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'13-3wksRPR,Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'14Watersong,RPR,Rotonda Jul'15-3 wksWatersong,RPR,Rotonda-Jul'17-3wks LGI, Watersong,RPR-July ‘19
Bullpeppar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Always_dreaming
Excited about Disney

So I did a quick search on Discount Florida Car Hire, and it's coming up a similar price for 1 driver. But to add on an additional driver that isn't your spouse (spouse is free, but we need to add my dad) the price jumps up about £80.

Alamo seem to include 1 additional driver for free but charge for Sat Nav - and Discount car hire charge to add a driver but Sat Nav is free. They then end up almost identical price!

Decisions decisions...

Thanks.

Edited at 05:39 PM.
Old 29 Dec 16, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
You can hire a Sat Nav off E Bay if thats any help. There used to be a Dibb one that was 'run' for charity but sadly it broke.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Always_dreaming
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
You can hire a Sat Nav off E Bay if thats any help. There used to be a Dibb one that was 'run' for charity but sadly it broke.
Oh really? Wow that's worth me looking at. Thanks
Old 29 Dec 16, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

If you're a member of Quidco it may be worth looking at Alamo via this site... I believe they offer circa 12% cashback, but unlike Alamo Brits they don't always have the free additional driver. I booked Alamo via Quidco for my brother earlier in the year with free additional driver.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Always_dreaming
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
If you're a member of Quidco it may be worth looking at Alamo via this site... I believe they offer circa 12% cashback, but unlike Alamo Brits they don't always have the free additional driver. I booked Alamo via Quidco for my brother earlier in the year with free additional driver.
I'm a regular Quidco user so thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look and compare.