Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 14 Jan 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post

It depends what's meant by ' reducing prices' I guess. Perhaps Universal may have a small reduction, but they're already a lot cheaper than Disney tickets - circa £50 per person - so why would they need to?

Universal figures are up year on year ( so are Disney but less so ) and they've invested heavily in HP and the new Volcano Bay and Universal is a destination in its own right.

I know when we first started going in 2000 that Universal were ' the poor cousin ' in some ways and tickets were MUCH cheaper! IIRC we paid around £84 for 7 days + 7 free.

However, it's no longer a 'bolt-on' attraction for people who go over mainly for Disney and think they'd like to spend a couple of days at Universal and somehow think/feel that Universal should have a ticket to accommodate those needs. ( be nice if it would though! ).

We'll be visiting both when our GD takes her first visit this year... I have no doubt that Disney will totally captivate her and equally no doubt that Universal will excite her in a different way. Long may it be that way.
Old 14 Jan 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

A lot of people say that Disney is cheaper than Universal, which, if you just divide the cost by 14 days is true I guess, approx £20 v £15 per day. But what you've got to take into account is that Disney offers so much more choice, 4 theme parks and 2 water parks, plus Disney Quest if it's still going. This against 2 theme parks and a water park still to open.
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
A lot of people say that Disney is cheaper than Universal, which, if you just divide the cost by 14 days is true I guess, approx £20 v £15 per day. But what you've got to take into account is that Disney offers so much more choice, 4 theme parks and 2 water parks, plus Disney Quest if it's still going. This against 2 theme parks and a water park still to open.
With the exception of the discount at present (which is ending soon) it's £419 for a Disney ticket . Nearly double a universal one.
People think universal is expensive as they are not wanting the full 14 days and could do with a 4-5 day ticket . The uk get a much better deals than the us visitors.
Our friends are going for the first time ever and dismissed Disney altogether. We think they are mad but they can't see anything that would appeal to their 7 yr old boy despite us trying to help them along the way and I have 2 boys . They think they have a cracking deal for universal and staying at sapphire falls.
People's choices are different and looking at it secretly universal is a good deal. There's plenty to do when there.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post

I absolutely take it all into account, but that won't alter the situation.

People have the choice to go to either or both.

They already know Disney have more theme parks and an extra water park. To some it matters, to others it doesn't. I know since we've been enough times.

There is nothing in Universal to compare with a kid's first view of Cinderella's castle at Magic Kingdom - an absolutely magical moment ( for us grown ups too ). You won't get me knocking any of the Disney experience, I love it

I also love the Universal offerings. Yes, I'd like ALL prices to be cheaper... but the fact remains that Universal attendances are increasing faster then the mouse's ... so why would Universal need to drop prices?

Let's not forget the aim of both companies is to part you from as much of your cash as possible!

Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Old 14 Jan 17, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
With the exception of the discount at present (which is ending soon) it's £419 for a Disney ticket . Nearly double a universal one.
People think universal is expensive as they are not wanting the full 14 days and could do with a 4-5 day ticket . The uk get a much better deals than the us visitors.
Our friends are going for the first time ever and dismissed Disney altogether. We think they are mad but they can't see anything that would appeal to their 7 yr old boy despite us trying to help them along the way and I have 2 boys . They think they have a cracking deal for universal and staying at sapphire falls.
People's choices are different and looking at it secretly universal is a good deal. There's plenty to do when there.
The price you pay for Disney maybe depends on what way you book it. This year we went for qsdp for the first time and of course to get this, we had to book Disney tickets at the same time. Initially it was £344 for the 14 day ultimate, but then they dropped that to £299. I know you can get it cheaper at the moment, but then I wouldn't have the free dining, which more than makes up for any potential savings.
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by VALM View Post
Thanks x
You're welcome.
lyn1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

For me it isn't a debate about what is better, Disney or Universal.

The fact is, in 2015 I paid £589 for 14 day passes to Universal for 3 adults 2 children. This year, just 2 years later, the cheapest I can find is £1069.60. That kind of increase is disgusting - I get the exchange rate has an effect but to almost double in 2 years? Come on, even you Universal hardcore fans can't justify that increase.
Old 14 Jan 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post

The £ got you circa $1.55-56 back then.

The 14 day WDW tickets will have cost you around £1460 (?) against £1070 for Universal...so some £400 less. If Disney had kept tickets at £339... the it would have cost you £ 1640, almost £600 more than Universal.

If you think the price hike is disgusting...then vote with your feet, no one force you to go.

The way I'd look at it ( through my rose tinted glasses ) is the Universal tickets were an absolute snip at £589 and now they're more in line with the market place.

As I said when we went over last time in 2007 we paid around $84 for a 7 day + 7 days free Universal pass... and the £ got you $1.98! Imagine my shock when I saw current ticket prices almost 10 years later LOL

Am I happy Universal tickets cost a lot? No! Am I happy Disney tickets cost even more? No!

Unfortunately, that's the way it is... no one force you to go to Florida, no one force you to go to the parks. It sure as heck isn't a cheap holiday!

Originally Posted by mrmoo123 View Post
For me it isn't a debate about what is better, Disney or Universal.

The fact is, in 2015 I paid £589 for 14 day passes to Universal for 3 adults 2 children. This year, just 2 years later, the cheapest I can find is £1069.60. That kind of increase is disgusting - I get the exchange rate has an effect but to almost double in 2 years? Come on, even you Universal hardcore fans can't justify that increase.
Old 15 Jan 17, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mike230652 View Post
The £ got you circa $1.55-56 back then.

The 14 day WDW tickets will have cost you around £1460 (?) against £1070 for Universal...so some £400 less. If Disney had kept tickets at £339... the it would have cost you £ 1640, almost £600 more than Universal.

If you think the price hike is disgusting...then vote with your feet, no one force you to go.

The way I'd look at it ( through my rose tinted glasses ) is the Universal tickets were an absolute snip at £589 and now they're more in line with the market place.

As I said when we went over last time in 2007 we paid around $84 for a 7 day + 7 days free Universal pass... and the £ got you $1.98! Imagine my shock when I saw current ticket prices almost 10 years later LOL

Am I happy Universal tickets cost a lot? No! Am I happy Disney tickets cost even more? No!

Unfortunately, that's the way it is... no one force you to go to Florida, no one force you to go to the parks. It sure as heck isn't a cheap holiday!
Yep your right, no one is forcing us it's just like anything in life you expect it to go up but when you see it's almost doubled it just leaves a bad taste. I find that sort of increase unreasonable and although I'll keep an eye out for a good deal, Universal might not be for us this year. Disney did put their prices up too, I grant you that, but they also reduced them. I'm sure it's a temporary offer and next year we will be in for a shock, but at least they have done something to help us Brits out. Universal are like, we see your exchange rate woes and we will raise you even more. Yep thanks for that guys!