Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Marrakesh

Marrakesh Food Report

Thursday 8th December 2005

Diners:- Bob and Dawn
Meal:- Lunch

The Restaurant Marrakesh is situated in the World Showcase section of Epcot.
Having never been to Morocco I can just imagine that the restaurants there are decorated and styled like the Disney representation, or should I say Disney has styled this restaurant in a way I can imagine the true ones in Morocco are like.

We have eaten there on one previous occasion and enjoyed the meal so as it was nearing the end of our holiday we decided to go back for lunch.
We arrived at check-in at approximately 11.55am without an advanced dining reservation (ADR) and were seated within 5 minutes along with half a dozen other diners. We were cold and soaked through, as it had not stopped raining all through the night and morning so we were desperate for coffee.
The servers appeared and started tending tables so we waited for ours and waited, and waited when suddenly at the 25-minute mark he appeared and introduced himself as Adil Jrid. Too cold and wet to complain we simply gave our order as we had had a while to study the menu.
The lunch menu is quite small, but I have never considered eating there for dinner as I only consider it as a light meal location.

MENU

Appetizers
Jasmina Salad - an assortment of fresh vegetables served on a bed of lettuce $4.95
Harira Soup - traditional hearty soup flavored with tomatoes, lentils and lamb $4.25 Beef Brewat Rolls - layers of thin pastry stuffed with seasoned minced beef, fried and sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar $5.95
Seafood Bastilla - baked layers of thin pastry stuffed with grouper, shrimp, mushrooms, vermicelli, onions and egg $6.95 Chicken Bastilla - baked layers of thin pastry stuffed with minced chicken and almonds, sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar $5.95 Combination Appetizer for Two - Beef Brewat Rolls, Chicken Bastilla, and Jasmina Salad $12.95

Entrees
Roast Lamb Meshoui - a Moroccan tradition - roasted lamb in natural juices $16.95
Shish Kebab - grilled tenderloin of beef marinated in Moroccan herbs and spices $17.95
Chicken Kebabs - grilled brochettes of chicken breast marinated in Moroccan herbs and spices $15.95
Lemon Chicken - braised half chicken seasoned with garlic, green olives and preserved lemon $14.95
Sultan Sampler - grilled brochette of either beef or chicken served with a Beef Brewat Roll and Chicken Bastilla served with vegetable couscous $19.95
Vegetable Couscous - rolled semolina steamed & served with seasonal vegetables
Chicken Couscous - $15.95

Dessert
Crepes Atlas - apple crepes with cinnamon topped with ice cream and almonds - $5.95
Moroccan Symphony - assorted pastries $4.95
Bastilla - crispy leaves of pastry topped with vanilla cream and sprinkled with toasted almonds
For Two - $5.95; For One - $4.95
Marrakesh Delight - fresh fruit salad topped with mint ice cream, toasted almonds and orange blossom water $3.95
Crepes Casablanca - crepes with roasted almonds, cinnamon and honey topped with a scoop of ice cream $4.95

Our Selection

starter
Dawn:- Beef Brewat Rolls

Bob:- Jasmina salad

Entrée
Dawn:- Shish Kabob.

Bob:- Lamb Meshouri

Dessert
Dawn:- Crepes Casablanca

Bob:- None.

During the meal the music started and dead on 1 o’clock the belly dancer appeared.

This time she put on a real show.

Dawn thoroughly enjoyed her starter, well she would as they are sweet but the salad was plain and I could not see the difference between that one and any other salad consisting of lettuce, cucumber, olives, red onion and feta.
The sauce that came with the lamb was sweater than the one with the Kabob so I shared my lamb with Dawn swapping half for one of her Shish Kabobs and I found both very flavourful.
I tried the crepe when it arrived and thought it was fowl and had a job swallowing it as it was far too sweet for me but Dawn enjoyed it very much.

I like this restaurant especially near the end of our holidays as it offers something different with a completely different taste as it combines both sweet and savoury in one sitting.

Rating:- 6/10 Poor service, lively surrounding when the music and dancer started and an OK meal.

Bill:- $49.63 including DDE discount but not including tip.
I usually tip 20% of the bill before discount therefore leaving a larger than 20% tip for the server but on this occasion I found the service poor and only left a $10 tip which is 20% of the payable bill.

Bob
Old 19 May 06, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
loopydiamond
Imagineer

I fancied dawn's starter, Bob's main course and definately liked the look of the dessert... thanks for sharing your meal with us lol...

Jules
Old 19 May 06, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great report . I will not be trying this place as I just haven't grasped the concept of sweet and savoury on the same plate LOL

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 06, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Never eaten here as Paul doesn't fancy anything from the menu...
apart from the belly dancer

When the food and wine festival is on I always stop by Morocco for a sample of those tasty kebobs. I like em!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 06, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thats the super thing about Food and Wine Festival .. you get to try different foods without having to commit to a full meal

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 06, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Another fab food day

Tracy
Old 9 Jul 07, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Excellent ~ Thanx for posting.
Old 9 Jul 07, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List