Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 11 Nov 06, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Feasting in the Fall - Kona Cafe

After such an abysmal lunch at Chefs de France yesterday, we were a little apprehensive about returning to another of our long term favourites, the Kona Cafe.
Thankfully our fears were unfounded and we both thought our food was delicious, so delicious in fact that we ate here again the following week.

Some warm focaccia bread with a pool of spicily seasoned olive oil for dipping was nice to nibble on whilst we drank our wine (Buena Vista Chardonnay for me and Rock Rabbit Syrah for Paul) and waited for our starters.

Paul had the Kona Salad.
Nicely balanced citrus vinaigrette dressed some mixed leaves, along with Maytag blue cheese, sliced apples and nibbed smoked almonds.
The portion size was noticeably skimpier than before, but still a winner in Paul’s eyes.
Actually most of the ingredients seem to be hiding under the leaves in the picture. Sorry, I should have got him to fork it over a bit.

I had the Crab Cakes.
I really enjoyed them, they were full of white meat and the breading was very light. There was some sweet pineapple relish on the top which complemented the crab nicely and the Asian Tartar sauce added an extra touch of spice.

Paul chose Pan-Asian Pasta which is basically a veggie stir fry with noodles - but it’s a good one!

I had Beef Teriyaki which was served with mashed potatoes and broccoli.
I’d been reading about this dish for ages and it was one of my reasons for wanting to eat here as soon as possible. Along with the Mah Mahi its Kona’s most popular entree and I so hoped it wouldn’t disappoint.
Well it turned out to be a treat - the really moist, flavourful 10oz sirloin was grilled to a perfect medium and finished with a tasty Teriyaki sauce. It was then topped with sautéed fresh pineapple. It was gorgeous!
This is more like it!

We were both really full up and wouldn’t normally have ordered dessert, but it was already included so we felt we ought to show willing.

I had Chocolate Macadamia Nut Pie, which was similar to pecan pie. It had a chocolate pastry base and very rich sweet filling. I love macadamia nuts and this was my favourite dessert this trip.

Paul had Kilauea Torte, out of which erupted a pool of warm chocolate ‘lava’ when he broke into it. Make sure to ask for ice cream, it’s too rich without we think.
The Kona coffee complemented our chocolaty treats perfectly and there was not a scrap left on our plates, testament to the sheer tastiness of the desserts at the Kona Café.

We enjoyed an extremely good experience at Kona Café. Service was excellent if very slightly rushed, but then I’ve found that it usually is here. It was also Saturday evening so was very busy.
Everything we had to eat and drink was first rate tonight which was such a relief after yesterdays’ French Farce.
With our faith in WDW dining restored we waddled off to catch the next monorail headed for the Magic Kingdom to finish our evening with Spectromagic and Wishes!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 06, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sue that looked and sounded lovely.

I have just listed our chosen places for next month and will have to go and rearrange it now to add Kona Cafe. Sounds like its well worth a visit!

Thanks

Dawn
Old 11 Nov 06, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Oooo thanks so much Sue, this is one of our choices at Christmas and I think you picked my choices. Although, I would have Paul's pud!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 06, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Thank you so much for the report Sue. This year was the first time we had been to Kona and what a wonderful dining experience it was. The food is amazing. It was maybe at the top of our list alongside Le Cellier - great food. Lovely pics too Sue.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 06, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post

The food is good isn't it?
It's a bustling place and not the quietest, most romantic of restaurants - but the food sure is tasty.
Old 11 Nov 06, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks Sue

We have a "grown-ups only" dinner booked here on Boxing Day and I'm really looking forward to it

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 06, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
DH has just come into the room and I showed him this thread - he has already decided he's having the same as you Sue

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 06, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post

LOL Jakki, don't blame him. I'm having it again in January too!
Old 11 Nov 06, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post

It all looks fabulous.
Old 11 Nov 06, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh Sue this has brought back some wonderful memories for us all tonight this was our favourite meal of the holiday, the atmosphere was lovely and the food was devine

thank-you