Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Day 8

Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music
Day 8 ~ Georgia Aquarium, City Segway Tour and Hard Rock Cafe

We were up at 7.30am, showered and dressed and left just after 8.30am. We were heading into Atlanta city center and unfortunately there were roadwork’s causing lots of traffic along the way. But thanks to sat. nav we took a detour, or two and arrived just a few minutes after we should have.

Some of the skyline as we headed into Atlanta center

We got to the parking garage by Georgia aquarium just after 9am paid the $10 (after nearly being coaxed into a nearby rival garage which had a big sign saying Georgia Aquarium parking, naughty, naughty) and then headed out to Pemberton Place. Pemberton Place is a square with a green in the middle and Georgia Aquarium on one side and the World of Coke on the other, named after John Pemberton who created Coke, it was really nice there.

World of Coca Cola (the big round building in the background is the hotel we ate on on our last day, at the very top)

Georgia Aquarium

It was time to split up now as Mum, Dad and Nick were going to do a City Segway Tour, something I had brought Dad for his birthday and something they were all really looking forward too. Nick was really excited as he loved the one in Epcot, however he was a bit worried about Dad as he is slightly on the 'clumsy' side and always manages to hurt himself, normally in a really stupid way (you may remember this conversation from my pre-trippie). Luckily Mum was going too so Nick didn't have to be responsible for him, I think he was pretty glad. Sophie was not heavy enough to do the segway tour unfortunately, something she was really upset about. But I promised her I would take her somewhere nice instead so the others could still do it and we could have some quality sister time together. Wed decided on Georgia Aquarium as it looked pretty good and Sophie loves all kinds of animals and sea creatures so it seemed perfect. And as part of her birthday present I brought her a ticket for us to do a special backstage tour there so she was especially excited, we couldn't wait.

So anyway, back to our day, Sophie and I walked over to the aquarium which had no queue, we had a special VIP entrance which was cool. The others went off to find the segway head-office which was in Underground Atlanta about 3/4 miles away (I will post Nick's account of their tour after my aquarium report).

As Sophie and I entered the aquarium there were whales and dolphins and turtles painted on the ceiling and 2 big tanks of fish, it looked so cool, we both loved it straight away.

We entered the main bit which was huge, there were different sections off in different directions from the main hub, all nicely themed as well as a cafe, seating area and some shops. We went to the stingray touch pool at the beginning of Georgia Explorer first and Soph touched the stingrays and sharks, which despite having done it at Seaworld and Discovery Cove quite a few times still thrilled her immensely.

After a few minute they had no touching for 15 minutes so we went over to the Ocean Voyager section. As soon as we walked towards it we saw a whale shark swimming over, the main thing we had come here to see, and it was absolutely huge. We went to the first window and saw 3. We spent quite a long time watching the whale sharks swim around and taking pictures, we both were in awe at their size and beauty.

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 08, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Then we went through the tunnel and they were all above us, saw fish, rays, grouper and 4 massive whale sharks. We stayed there for ages watching them, it was really cool.

Then we joined the moving walkway and went through to the massive window and could see it all again, it was so cool.

Once we had been through that exhibit we went over to the Coldwater Quest section. They had some different tanks of fish and things you could touch like starfish and sea enemies, it was really good. They also had these strange little things called Sea Dragons which were tiny and quite weird looking. We found out on our tour later that they are the most expensive thing to feed in the whole aquarium, including the Whale sharks and Beluga's, and that they only eat live shrimp which has to be shipped over from Australia, it was quite fascinating.

Watch out behind you Piggle's

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 08, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
The elusive Sea Dragons

Then we saw the sea otters, they were much bigger than we expected and so cute. We walked past the sea lions which were swimming around and around playing, if you watch them too long though your bound to get dizzy. As we came to the other side of the otters and stopped to watch them. The keepers came out just as we stopped there to fed them. It was really cool to watch as one was fed right by us and the trainer got it to wave, kiss the glass, high 5, it was so cute and friendly. We watched till they disappeared off into the water, Soph was so glad we got to see it, as was I, she went on about it all day after that.

Then we saw the penguins, Sophie went in a scuba hat looking thing and had 2 next to her head, it was cool.

Finally we saw the beluga whales. There were 3, Nico the dad, Natasha the Mum and Nerys the daughter. They loved swimming round their tank and were quite playful. We got there just as a man was doing a talk about them and played their sound which is really high pitched and why they call them sea canaries, so we stayed to listen on Sophie's request.

We went to get tickets for the 11am Deepo’s Undersea 3D show next. We didn’t wait long to get in and the show was so cute. It was about helping to save underwater life and how it’s so important. A bit like Finding Nemo with lots of songs.
We were hungry so went to the Aquatica Café and got chicken tenders, fries and a sprite to share. It was good but just basic fast food, but it filled the void from missing breakfast.

Then we went to meet for our 12pm Backstage Sea keepers tour, something we were really excited about. We were give lanyards which identified us as part of the tour and soon were off behind the scenes. We went to the veterinary bit and bit where they check the water quality first, and saw where they treat the animals, store food, transport fish into the aquarium and learn't about the shape of the aquarium (a U shape) and how it means they can treat and get to the animals easily.

Old 10 Oct 08, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
We then went to some other areas before going to the bit above the whale sharks tank. We got to see them from above, have a photo taken by their tank and then went on a bridge over the tank. It was so cool and they were so huge, floating below us showed there enormous size, Sophie and I could have stayed there and watched them all day. We also got to see a group going in to the whale tank to do a scuba dive with the whale sharks. I thought about booking the snorkeling version for Sophie and I but after seeing pictures of the whale sharks I got put off, now seeing the huge things swimming below us I am glad I did.

Then we went to the beluga exhibit and learn't about them. We saw them from above, playing and pushing their tire around, it was quite cold and quiet in there.

Next was the coral reef bit which was really hot, quite different to the beluga exhibit. There was light and heat lamps shining on the coral reef to make it seem real but they are so real you can get sunburn from. We got to see how they put fresh water in to the tank every 30 seconds creating a wave effect from below, and all about the tank and the fish in it. All the fish were so bright and looked so cool from above. We saw the sharks and babies which were there until they grew bigger and learn't about other aspects of the aquarium, including how the tiny sea dragons are the most expensive thing in the aquarium to feed at $80k/year.

Old 10 Oct 08, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews

This is where they grow corral

Unfortunately that was the end of the tour. It had been very good and informative and we got to see some really cool things. Soph especially loved it as she wants to be either a marine biologist, Whale trainer or safari guide so it was pretty perfect for her.

Some more backstage pictures

After our tour we went to the Tropical Diver section and saw all the bright fish from the coral reef that we had seen from above. We also saw the jellyfish which had the longest, scariest tentacles.

We went to the River Scout section where there were river otters, piranhas and other various river creatures. Then finally we went back to Georgia Explorer where there were various touch pool. Sophie loved the touch pools, there were starfish which felt really rocky, sea enemies which stick to you, rays, rock crabs and shrimp. The man at the shrimp tank told Sophie she had the talent for touching the shrimp as she managed to stroke them all whereas normally they dart away before you manage to get near them. It was funny hear other people scream as they went to touch them and they sprang off, Sophie felt quite special as they didn’t run, it was pretty cool.

It was then time to go and meet the others from their segway tour so we got our souvenir photos and did some shopping. Sophie couldn’t decide what cuddly she wanted so I brought her the beluga whale and turtle she wanted and she got her otter. I got a really cute cuddly penguin which we named Georgia. We met others who were waiting outside and gave them the little gifts we had brought them, little cuddly seals for Mum and Nick and a Georgia Aquarium golf ball for Dad. As we walked out of the aquarium we saw the queue to get in it now, it was absolutely huge and winding all round the block. Apparently they were not letting any more people in and eve those who already had tickets for that day were being told that they would be called when they were allowed in, it was a good job we got there early.

The queue for the World of Coca Cola opposite was also huge, we had planned to go after lunch but now we weren’t sure. Opposite was Centennial Olympic Park, created for the 1996 Olympic’s held in Atlanta, something I didn’t realise until a few days before our trip. We had planned to walk through the park but the others had been through it on their segway tour and said it was absolutely packed as there were a few college games on today. Apparently the atmosphere was electric.

Ok a little detour now as I post Nick's account of their City Segway Tour

Old 10 Oct 08, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Nick's City Segway report
After dropping off Sammie and Sophie at the aquarium we decided to walk to where the Segway tour starts. Little did we know it was the start of the college football season and by 9.15am the park was packed with a sea of orange and red tops of all the Alabama and Georgia fans. We picked our way through the park, nearly losing Paul along the way, but luckily emerged the other side all in one piece. Then finding the road wasn’t as straight forward as we thought, it wasn’t in my sat nav, and the road on the map was a different name to the one we were given. After asking three car park attendants and a random man eventually we found the road.
The group was a fairly big one, and had to be split into two smaller groups. We watched a safety video telling us not to fall off, (illustrated by stickmen!) then were given helmets and shown outside to where the Segways were parked. We each got given one and then split off into our smaller groups. I think we got the better tour guide, he seemed a lot more lively and had a very dry sense of humour which I found my self laughing at even when no-one else was. He also had a PHD in the History of Atlanta and was currently doing a masters, so he was very well clued up! We went up and down some pavements being told to watch out for the ‘residentially challenged’, yes to you and me thats homeless people. We stopped off at a few churches, which weren’t burnt down (a running joke about Atlanta), saw where coke started out in Atlanta and got a brief history of nearly every building as we rode by it.

Then the obvious happened, I was worried about being left with Paul before we went on this tour, and of course he didn’t disappoint. He went to scratch his leg and forgetting he was on a Segway lifted his leg up and fell off. It could have only happened to him!

We then had a little break, where the tour guide then bumped up the speed of all our Segways to 9mph which doesn’t sound much, but believe me it was quick!
We then started to head back via Olympic Park, where all the football celebrations were going on. I asked about the crowds and was amazed in what I was told. The college football was more popular than professional football is. Also college football generates crowds near to what premiership soccer games get! I was shocked by this as our school/ uni sports hardly get recognised at all! We couldn’t get through for the masses of crowds, so we went to watch the water fountain set to music in the park, then headed back the same way as we came.

All in all the tour was brilliant and packed with information about the city. The Segways, if you haven’t done them before, I strongly advise it as its such fun and will make you want to buy one after! 10 out of 10!

So back to the rest of our day.
We walked to Hard Rock Cafe which was about 5-10 minutes away, but up a big hill which was hard when it was so hot. There were lots of strangely dressed people around wearing various cat, weird superhero and other outfits. We got to Hard Rock and it was absolutely packed, there were people spilling out of the doors.

The wait for a table was 90-120 mins, we showed our Hard Rock Priority Card and were told 30 minutes, result! We went to the shop and all brought loads, a t.shirt, top, 2 shot glasses, 4 pins and a fridge magnet for me, a jacket and t.shirt for Nick, a t.shirt, drum sticks for Dad, 2 tops for Mum and a top for Sophie. Whilst I was waiting I found out that all the strangely dressed people were part of Dragon Con, the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the US which was being held in Atlanta this weekend - wow thats a mouthful. Not only were loads of people in Atlanta for this but Georgia were playing Alabama at college football, something which seemed to have a lot of support. We were seated within about 30 minutes, as we sat down everyone was cheering and chanting for their teams, there was so much atmosphere but all the rivalry seemed really friendly. Nearly everyone in Hard Rock was dressed in colours for one of the teams or the odd few were dressed for Dragon Con, everyone seemed to be having so much fun and they were all so in to supporting their teams, parents, grandparents, all completely in the spirit of the game, i was so nice to be there and be part of it, I love the US.

Old 10 Oct 08, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews

We ordered drinks, an Exotic margarita for me, and cocktails for Mum and Nick although I can’t remember what. The food took a while but the atmosphere was so cool and it was so much fun just being a part of it we didn’t mind. At one point they played the YMCA, all the servers got up on a table in the middle of the restaurant and danced to the song, everyone in the restaurant joined in with such passion, it was so fun.

After a while our food came, I had beef fajitas, Dad had the HR burger, Nick had BBQ brisket, Mum had the BBQ brisket sandwich and Sophie had kids mac and cheese. It was all very good and better washed down with a Daiquiri for me. After our food we collected our souvenir glasses from the shop and walked back towards the car park.

Walking back

We had decided to give the World Of Coco Cola a miss this time as it was so busy but had a look around the shop and brought a few souvenirs. We then walked back to the car and headed back to the hotel.

We spent an hour by the pool as it was so hot out and we needed to cool down. It was a lovely pool area with lots of loungers with cushions on, tables with cushioned chairs and a little sofa area around a big outside fireplace.

We messed about around the pool for a bit and then went back to the rooms and got dressed. We drove over to Perimeter mall again and had a look around the shops which included Macy’s, Bloomindales and more. None of us brought much, I was too tired to look properly but we did stop for a Hagaen Daaz shake and Sophie got Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus wigs, she looked so, so funny, bless her.

Nick did offer to buy me a Coach purse from the Coach store but I wasn’t sure which one and it was a lot of money not to be sure. We stopped at the Cheesecake Factory to get some cheesecake for tea as we couldn’t fit any in last night and then went to Walmart as we needed another case for Nick and I and Mum and Dad. We managed to get a new American Tourister case and mini plane case too and Mum and Dad got a case and hand luggage bag.

We then went back to the hotel, where Mum found todays gift of a little necklace on her bed and I found some Godiva chocolate strawberries on my pillow from Nick.

We then watched some tv whilst Nick and I shared a piece is strawberry cheesecake before bed.

Old 10 Oct 08, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Another brilliant day, i'm loving reading all about this area, it looks so cool.

Glad you all have a good day even though you's did different things

I've talked my 2 sons into going to this area, just to let hubby know about our plans now lol
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 08, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Thats so cool your going to go, its such a lovely area.

We actually had a really good time split up. It was nice for Sophie and I to just spend some time together, and without worrying about parents as well

Old 11 Oct 08, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Sammie, I really enjoyed reading both yours and Nick's report.

Fantastic photos once again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List