Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 23 Oct 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

Typical Christmas Day at home - what will you be doing?

So this year we were supposed to be in NYC for Christmas Day, but now looking like we will be spending it at home (just me, my OH and the puppy)

It'll be the first Christmas Day ever where we won't have to rush around, get up and get out and spend the day at someone else's house. We're quite looking forward to it!

Neither of us like Christmas dinner as such and it's been many a year since we had a traditional dinner. Not sure what we will have this year but there'll be no standing over the hob for hours, that's for sure!

Likely will take the puppy for a walk out, watch movie or two and just chill out (though we are struggling lately on the movie front with what seems like zero 2020 new releases lol)

Will probably have a big family Whatsapp video call on the evening and maybe a quiz or some type of game (we've kept up the weekly Whatsapp video quiz tradition since lockdown).

I'm interested to know what other people's plans are so I can maybe get some ideas on other things to do
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Sounds like you've a lovely day planned. Sorry about your NYC plans.

As I child I was used to 25+ people at my Grandparents house on the south coast. Blissful memories.

The last few years we've either been at home with my PIL or at my Parents, so 6 of us each year.

No idea what'll happen this year though. It's meant to be our turn to host PILs but then my Parents would be alone as my sister (who would have them) can't ad they're a family of 5. Found out the other day though that my BILs partner has fallen out with her parents so they could see my PIL. So complicated.

Whatever happens we'll get up, the girls will impatiently wait for me to have a shower, then all go doenstairs to open our stockings. S laxy mirning whilst cooking Christmas dinner. Followed by a walk if the weather is favourable, a board game if not.

Then open gifts, Christmas cake and tea, followed by more games and supper. Maybe a film before bed.

Whatever you do, enjoy xx
Button17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

The kids open their presents first thing (though now they are teens/twenties they have to be woken!) Then we go to church for a lovely family service where all the little children bring a toy. Back home for coffee and shortbread for us and the first of many selection boxes for the kids followed by a walk on the beach while the dinner is cooking. Lovely family dinner with my parents and then finish the evening off with board games and stuffing ourselves with chocolates!
Old 23 Oct 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Up early with son (9) get bacon in grill and bucks fizz open. Presents open, sister and family come round bout 11, more bucks fizz while the kids open presents then mam and dad come for traditional dinner this is made throughout the morning!
I love Christmas 🎅🌲
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

DS comes and opens his stocking in our room and then we shove the pastries in the oven and OH gets the Christmas music on whilst we all get showered and dressed. Then breakfast, presents, turkey in the oven, games and sometimes some TV.
Then just pottering with dinner which we tend to have at about 5 or 6 ish.
OH tends to sort a few rounds of snacks in the interim.
This year will be the 1st that DS won’t be with us all day as we’ve said he can go to his girlfriend’s in the eve 😭😭😭😭
She is coming to us to Xmas eve so we can’t complain but it feels like a big thing
If the pubs are open we might go to one while he’s out.

Edited at 07:29 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

All 3 our children pile in our bed and have crumpets (my daughter needs something to eat before she sees her presents or she hypos with excitement... still at the age of 17 &#129315
My husband then goes down to check santa has been (sets up to video the kids waking in so he can catch their faces)
The children take turns opening their presents because they like to see what each other has got.
They have a quick mess about with their presents then we all get dressed up in our new Christmas outfit and go to my mums for Christmas dinner. Christmas dinner is actually served at lunch time. Usually my sister, nephew and sister’s partner come my mums and all the kids open presents off my mum, then mum opens presents off us. We chat, eat & drink (not me, I drive) then head home around 5-6pm. But I am not sure what my sister will do this year. She has her partners family to take into consideration too.

We usually have a family buffet on boxing day but its looking unlikely this year so I have no idea what we will do on boxing day.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We prefer Christmas day just the two of us!

We have a nice breakfast with a bucks fizz then open gifts.

We generally have pork for dinner and I like to cook so we put that in and go for a walk.

Come back, finish cooking, eat and then chill out with something on the TV or we generally watch a stand up.

We have everyone around Christmas eve so it is nice to chill out
shoei is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mental4ever
Excited about Disney

Usually get an early morning phone call so our granddaughter can let us know Santa has been. So we rush over to watch her open her presents. Go back home and cook Christmas dinner which is normally eaten around 2ish by 7 of us, gives our granddaughter a few hours to play with her new toys.
Go back over to our daughters for tea and miraculously while we are eating Santa visits again with more presents.
After an early start to the day needless to say have an early night so that we can rest our stomachs to eat more on Boxing Day.
Universal Aug/Sept 2023.
BWV & Universal Feb & May 2024. BWV Jan 2025.
mental4ever is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List