Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 26 Jun 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
We have these. Really good.

Put your rooter back where it worked and get these for the Xbox
The problem is that even with the router in the lounge ( admittedly 3-4 years ago ) we couldn't get the wifi in the garden even then.
So no real help ( other than maybe improving the signal in the conservatory
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Why not just use your mobile to create a hotspot that you access from your laptop?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 05:37 AM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had a powerline which worked fine in my current house but my previous it was very slow. this was down to the house being 120 years old & it was (and still is!) in desperate need of a full rewire.

another option is using an old router as a wifi extender. more technical but saves spending on something you may already have
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 05:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I had issues in my loft conversion getting a good wifi signal as the router is 2 floors down. I bought the following and not had a problem since.

Before I bought this, youtube vids would keep freezing and I couldn't watch my cctv in my loft on my ipad without having issues.

One unit plugs into a mains socket and it comes with an Ethernet cable to plug into your router and the other plugs into any socket where you want a good wifi signal (such as my loft). It works by sending the wifi signal through the mains power cables from the unit plugged into your router to the receiving wifi unit. It really is so simple to connect it takes seconds.

If you want a good wifi signal 150' away at the bottom of your garden and you don't have an electrical socket there, then it won't work great as you have to be in a reasonable range of it.

We use something similar to this and can now get WiFi in our brick shed at the bottom of garden approx 160’.

Main one is plugged into the router then we have one on our upstairs landing and one plugged in in the shed.

We also have a booster by the back door and have a good signal everywhere now whereas we previously struggled upstairs and in the garden.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

If you want the best solution, at a cost, buy a Netgear Orbi RBK50 mesh network. Plug that into your router, stick a satellite near the back of your house and you are good to go. I get 400 meg download on my decking at the back of the garden but I have 3 satellites blanketing the house. You may only need one.

If you are not so bothered about getting best speed, get a Tenda MW6 or I’ll sell you mine at 80 quid incl delivery as I don’t use it having upgraded to Orbi. amazon/Tenda-Nova-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

These are wireless mesh networks. The Tenda is good for new price £140 but the Orbi is best in class but with 3 satellites that cost me £600, but you can get it with one satellite which is probably all you’d need for £300- amazon/NETGEAR-Ult...3-09163b7d9294

Edited at 07:31 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando_Kings
Very Serious Dibber

Orlando_Kings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Agree that a modest WiFi extender is probably worth a shot first (brought my tp-links for £15 each) but they do have limitations and if you find it's not helping then the mesh options are definitely the way to go
Orlando_Kings is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm not techy either but I was desperate to work in the garden whilst working from home. We have Sky essentials broadband and we got this

amazon/dp/B00AHXXJ..._r.U9EbAN5XPZ5

And it works. I have it plugged in to our utility room near the back door and we now have strong garden WiFi. Also got one for my DD as her bedroom is a black spot in the house.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thank you for all your help guys and girls.

So do I now have three options
Booster c £17 each
Power line adapter c£60
Mesh system - from c £140

What the difference between the mesh systems and the and the other two to justify the cost ?
Are all limited to the speed that I would normally get from my router ( c35 Mbps) or do/can anyone of them actually increase the speed ?

I presume. You can " mix and match" - Ie get a power line adapter but then tag on one of the boosters if required

Yorkshire T I am tempted by your kind offer thankyou .But just not sure what the benefits are of getting that rather than the adapter or booster options

I am going to ring sky today to see if there is anything that can be done to get my c35mbps up to the average they claim to be 59mbps
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 09:05 AM.
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I am with virgin and have a booster in our conservatory and we can get WIFI at bottom of garden. I am toying with the idea of going back to sky for a cheaper deal but not sure I could put up with their erratic broadband speeds again.
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Another huge fan of a mesh system. I am not a techie but have many friends who are.

I was advised against the power line versions and ended up with this:

TP Deco M4
I got it on a discount day at Amazon for £99.99. It has boosted the wireless speed from 16mps to 70mps and I can get great coverage throughout the house and right down the garden.

Wholeheartedly recommended

Regards

GARY

Edited at 08:57 AM.
Tetrarch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List