Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Jan 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Dubai and medication

Hi,

I’m going to Dubai in a couple weeks, just booked today,

One of my medications is on the controlled list. I understand that I can still take it provided I have a prescription (is what’s printed on the box enough or do I need something else). I read an article that says I need to fill out an online form to obtain approval, has anyone done this and where do I actually do it. Have I got this correct?

Thanks,
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Make sure you keep your medication in your hand luggage and you do not take more than you require. They are very strict if you get searched.
If you need 1 tablet a day and you are away for 5 days, then only take 5 tablets, dont take a full box. If searched and you have excess medication, they may take this seriously depending on the medication.
Again, it is your responsibility to look after the medication. If it is stolen, then in their law, you are responsible.

Also double check your medication. Even with prescriptions, some medication is still banned completely and would be a criminal offense to carry into the country.

You may not be checked or questioned, but you need to be aware fully of the country you are taking it to. Breaking any law like this would be a case of detention and questioned.

Also complete this:

mohap.gov.ae/en/services/Pages/361.aspx

Hope this helps:

"If you’re travelling with controlled medicines that are strictly for personal use then you will also have to carry a valid medical prescription from the country of origin. If the original prescription is not available, then you will need to carry an attested prescription instead.

If you’re staying in the UAE then an additional authenticated certificate or permit from the relevant health authority is also needed."
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 03:58 PM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks. I’ve just filled out the form. So hopefully all should be okay.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
01Car
Excited about Disney

Sorry to jump on your thread but do the same rules apply if you’re transiting through Dubai airport?
01Car is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

When we transited through Dubai I was panicking about my meds. Spoke to a lovely lady in the medico legal department at the Embassy who advised me to take a letter from GP stating what meds I was on and why. I didn’t need it but better safe than sorry. She also told me that meds should be in boxes but in checked luggage except for what you needed for the flight.
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FloridaFi View Post
When we transited through Dubai I was panicking about my meds. Spoke to a lovely lady in the medico legal department at the Embassy who advised me to take a letter from GP stating what meds I was on and why. I didn’t need it but better safe than sorry. She also told me that meds should be in boxes but in checked luggage except for what you needed for the flight.
Really? I NEVER put essential meds in checked luggage. Unless I could live without them for the duration of the holiday.
Old 12 Jan 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Really? I NEVER put essential meds in checked luggage. Unless I could live without them for the duration of the holiday.
Yep me neither. There is no guarantee that your suitcase will end up in the same place as you do...
Old 13 Jan 20, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Nor do I. Always carry meds as hand luggage but the lady at the embassy was insistent they should be checked. Worried me the whole way.
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

There is a simple reason you were told to do this.
As your checked luggage isnt seen in Dubai then you have no access to whats in your cases. Where as what you have in hand luggage could be passed to someone else at the airport.

Originally Posted by FloridaFi View Post
Nor do I. Always carry meds as hand luggage but the lady at the embassy was insistent they should be checked. Worried me the whole way.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Just an update on this. Finally got my meds approved, only took 9 days and it went back and forth 6 times and it only got approved when my dads girlfriend phoned up for me and spoke to them.

Basically you can only apply for the meds you need whilst you are in the country, so if you’re going for 7 days you can only apply for 7 days worth. Do it with plenty time to go just in case it takes a bit to get them approved, they’re very quick at reviewing it but very strict on their rules. If your meds aren’t on the controlled list you don’t need to fill the form out. Once approved you get a pdf document that you need to print and take with you in case you get stopped.