Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Jan 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Paris - help !

So the back story. Yesterday I asked my son - who normally lives with his mother - where he wanted me to take him on holiday.

After a few minutes of reflection he said he wanted to do Paris.so optimistically I said "Disneyland Paris" to which he rolled his eyes and said "No Dad, just Paris"

He wants to be a tourist and see the sights. We are thinking of going at the very end of August this year (accepting that a lot of French things shut down at that time of year.

So then fellow dibbers - any tips for doing P
I would like a 2 bed apartment and we will probably get the Wurostar there. We are happy to get around using the Metro. Any money saving tips for seeing the sights? Any recommended "Must dos"?

Come on fellow dibbers- do your best !

Thanks

BB
Old 20 Jan 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The hop on hope off bus is fab Paris is pretty spread out in terms of the sights but this is a great way to see them, the metro is easy to sue but I find I tend to spend most of my time under ground when I could be seeing the sights from a bus, you also get a river cruise with that which id recommend, pre book your Eiffel tower tickets if your wanting the lift if your happy to walk it then you don't need to prebook,
be careful around the Eurostar station gar de nord its pretty ropey round there, just jump straight on the metro or taxi don't hang around and def don't buy tickets off anyone trying to sell them and don't accept help from anyone trying to show you how to work the ticket machines, enjoy I love Paris
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jules32 View Post
The hop on hope off bus is fab Paris is pretty spread out in terms of the sights but this is a great way to see them, the metro is easy to sue but I find I tend to spend most of my time under ground when I could be seeing the sights from a bus, you also get a river cruise with that which id recommend, pre book your Eiffel tower tickets if your wanting the lift if your happy to walk it then you don't need to prebook,
be careful around the Eurostar station gar de nord its pretty ropey round there, just jump straight on the metro or taxi don't hang around and def don't buy tickets off anyone trying to sell them and don't accept help from anyone trying to show you how to work the ticket machines, enjoy I love Paris
Thank you very much. I seem to remember (years ago) I got an open top bus at night and it was amazing !
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Second for the bus as well...

Must do the Louvre...think it is free on the first Thursday of the month or such, something like that - look into it

We stay at the Saint James Albany hotel right beside the Louvre
For the metro you get a "Carne"...basically a book of tickets, works out cheaper - book of 10 I think

Eiffel tower was always busy...especially if you want to take the lift up, the stairs entrance was a bit quieter

Great city but just have your wits about you...look after wallets / phones etc, same as any other city
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We would not normally use a hop on hop off bus when visiting a city but with only a day in Paris we used them. They were expensive but worth every penny. Managed to see so much. Got off at the places we wanted to visit and then back on to the next place.

If we were there for a few days though we would use public transport I think.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Group of us went last April, we stayed near Luxembourg Gardens which is a lovely park. On Sundays, they have the model pond yachts out too.

We just walked everywhere soaking up the sights! The only thing we paid for was a breakfast at Montparnasse Tower, pre booked, which had a fabulous view of Paris and it's taller than the Eiffel Tower. There's a viewing platform above but you have to go back down and then up separately. Being a Saturday, there was a great street market below.

We used Metro as well using our Monzo cards. Found some lovely bistros for breakfast and dinner. Obviously used the patisseries etc for bagettes (sharing as huge) and cakes.

We walked past Eiffel Tower, Scare Coeur, Louvre, Places de La Concorde, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Ellysee, Moulin Rouge to name a few over 2.5 days. Apologies re spellings! 😄

One thing to note, very heavy security forces everywhere due to yellow vest protesters, there was a water canon tank at Arc de Triomphe!
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We did the hop on, hop off boat instead of the bus. I can’t remember cost but it wasn’t a huge price otherwise I’d remember it lol

Really enjoyed it and got off at notre dame & the Eiffel Tower etc..

Hotel wise I can’t help as the first time we stayed in the countryside and commuted in for the day and the second visit we stayed at Disney & again commuted in.

As with most large cities be aware of con artists, my husband was approached by two ladies on our first trip who wanted him to sign a petition - one was showing him where to sign and the other tried to put her hand in his pocket to take his wallet. Fortunately I came around the corner at the right time and alerted him and they fled quickly!
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List