Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 19 Jan 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lifes2comp
Excited about Disney

Kennedy Space Center with young kids?

Hoping some fellow Dibbers can help me out with their experiences going to KSC with kids (good or bad).

In many years of going to Florida we have never been to Kennedy Space Center. Looking for something different to do this trip and I personally would be really interested in going and seeing it all. We can use Avios for tickets as well.

Our girls will be 8 and 4 this year. Whilst they have been little we haven’t even thought about doing KSC. My older daughter is much more interested in learning and I think would be genuinely interested in it now although it is not like she is a big space fan. My younger daughter is only 4 and I am mostly worried she will just be bored and get fed up quickly with the drive and walking around and the bus tour etc with not much to interest her. It really won’t be much fun if she is just a grump all day and wants to go ‘home’ to the villa.

Just wondering what other people’s experiences are going to KSC with kids, plus any recommendations on itinerary or things to do that were particularly good and the kids liked?

Many thanks in advance

Edited at 02:29 PM.
lifes2comp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

The first time we went to KSC our boys were 6 & 8 and they both loved it. I don't remember them being bored in any way as there was plenty to see and do.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as above its a great place kids to see & learn something on holiday above/beyond theme parks/pools etc etc

maybe a bit less of interest to a 4 year old but maybe a valuable lesson in doing some things on holiday that others want to do for one day..

if that dosnt sound to harsh
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

When we first went to KSC DD was 6 and her brothers 3 3/4. They all had a great time spotting the wildlife, playing in the play area and were totally wowed by the Saturn 5 firing room and exhibit

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

We have taken our son twice. The first time he was 4, the second time he was just a couple of weeks away from being 8. He really enjoyed it both times - although he does have a lot of interest in space, partly because my husband is very passionate about it. At 4 he enjoyed the Shuttle exhibit and all its interactive exhibits plus the big glide path slide and ISS mock up (some tunnels to crawl through), the outdoor play area and he loved running around in the rocket garden and climbing in and out of the accessible capsules. The bus tour held held his interest pretty well, as did the Saturn V Center. At 7 we did the more in depth bus tour, which was even better as it allowed us off at certain points and he was very engaged. We also did lunch with an astronaut and this time he went on the shuttle launch experience (I think there is a height requirement he didn't meet at 4). The glide path slide was still a big hit and he must have gone down it 15 times!

Both times it was a fantastic day out. A bit slower paced than a full on parks day and some opportunity to play and "just be" that the theme parks don't really offer, so even without the space element it is worthwhile for that. It really is a great day out.

Only you know your children though. As I said, our son has always had an interest in space and rockets etc, even at 4.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
lifes2comp
Excited about Disney

Many thanks to those that have replied so far, really useful reading your experiences. I’m being very indecisive on this one, some days I convince myself it’s a great idea and we’ll all find it interesting and others I worry that the girls will not be very bothered. My main worry is my little 4 year old who may not ‘get it’. She wouldn’t be a problem but I want it to be fun for all of us.

As I have not been before myself it’s just a bit harder to know how to do it and what bits they are likely to get most out of, so it’s just really handy getting some views from others that have been.
lifes2comp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List