Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Jan 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Mobile Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi and possibly Singapore?

Hi everyone!
I am planning the following trip for the end of july/beginning of august this year and wondered what people's experiences of these places were.

At first I was thinking 3 nights in KL followed by 5/6 nights in Langkawi then a night back in KL ready for our return flight. (My partner only gets 13 days off and wants a couple of days when we're back home)
However from reading trip reports I'm now considering Singapore as an add on either at the beginning or end.

There is only the two of us and we don't want anything that is too much of a culture shock yet as it's our first visit to Asia.

Any must dos or advice on itenarary is welcomed!
TravelaruaL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Last March/April, we did a Malaysia trip. 2 nights KL, 3 nights Kota Kinabalu (Borneo), 3 nights Sandakan (Borneo), 4 nights Langkawi and 2nights KL. We had been to Langkawi before for one day as part of a cruise - it’s a beautiful island. We rented a car and glad we did - our accommodation was a little out of the way and it was easy driving and we explored all of the island without being reliant on buses, taxis or organised trips.
We had also been to KL before (cruise). It’s a typical busy, bustling Asian city but some great sights. Getting around is easy on public transport but we preferred taxis - download the Grab app (Malaysian Uber) it’s incredibly efficient and dirt cheap.
Internal flights are efficient and cheap - I realise you don’t have a lot of days, but Borneo was amazing. Shout if you want anything specific. Mel did a great trippie for KL.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Hi - Last August we did 4 nights in KL, 9 nights in Borneo and 4 nights in Singapore. We did look at Langkawi and would like to go there but just decided there was more for us in Borneo that appealed (plus August in Langkawi is the rainy season, although I understand this doesn’t have a major impact and is more short stormy spells).

Your biggest issue is the amount of time you have. Realistically in my opinion stick to 2 locations, trying to squeeze somewhere else in while tempting will result in more travel days and less ‘holiday’ time.

Both KL and Singapore are fantastic cities and both deserve a visit with plenty to do and see. KL is cheaper and easiest to combine with Langkawi. English is widely spoken in both (and one of the official languages in Singapore).

As per the post above, getting around is cheap and easy and definitely recommend Grab.

Edited at 12:55 PM.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thank you both for the quick responses. I think I'll stick to two places then! I haven't looked at Borneo so will look into that in comparison to Langkawi.
Anybody have any hotel recommendations? Or must do activities?
TravelaruaL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We did KL, Penang and Singapore and I wrote mini trippies, see below.

Malaysia and Singapore, Aug 2018
Pretrip
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098062
Kuala Lumpur
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098063
Penang
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098064
Singapore
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098094
Final thoughts
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098100

Edited at 10:03 PM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

We have visited KL & Penang a few times.
Once we twinned it with Bali & once with Beijing,so we could visit the Great Wall of China.
Both times we used Air Asia,for the flights whilst we were over there.
We love going to the east!
Tracy x
Old 12 Jan 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

I spent a week in KL - I won’t recommend my hotel - though it was cheap

Have a read of my trip report (link to the list of reports on my signature!) and shout if you have any questions!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We did KL, Borneo and Hong Kong.

KL - we stayed at Traders. We loved the hotel but I really didnt like KL. Its probably one of the only places I've been that i wouldn't return to.
Full of ladies in burkas and woolly gloves while their husbands were in shorts and t-shirts in the 40' heat

We stayed at the Tanjung Aru, Shangri-La in Kota Kinabalu. Loved it - really beautiful hotel and plenty of things to do in and a short taxi ride away.

We then went onto HK - I know its not on your list but it was awesome and id go there anyday ver KL.

Happy planning
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

KL is my favourite destination ever! We absolutely loved it. The city, the food, the people, it was all fantastic, highly recommended. Really easy to get about, we used Grab to get around which is their version of Uber, it was very cheap.

We also stayed in Penang for a week, Georgetown and Batu Feringgi. We caught the train there.

We have also been to Singapore which is also fantastic but not as crazy (in my opinion) as KL so going to Singapore first would be a good idea, just to get used to the hustle and bustle of Asia.
Old 15 Jan 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thank you for your responses. I'm still pretty torn between KL and Singapore! Would there be a better alternative to pair with Singapore rather than Langkawi?