Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 17 Jan 20, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We have always had vouchers and exchanged them. Never had a problem. Have exchanged voucher for a flexticket at universal studios, sea world, rpr hotel desk and Busch gardens. Would not do it at sea world again, it involved lengthy queuing, but apart from there it was hassle free.
I have a voucher ticket for seaworld can it be redeemed at busch gardens or do we have to redeem it at seaworld...I really didn't consider can e ticket as an issue...this thread has really made me think for future trips
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You shouldn’t need to collect tickets in this day and age, you should be given a code you then put into the app. No need for tickets.
You just scan the code into the Universal app, just like with Disney, then show the QI code on the app at the gate. You can put all your families tickets on the phone.
You can add the code to the Universal app as soon as you get it. So you know straight away if it’s a valid ticket or not, as it comes up in the app- just like with Disney MDE.
So at both Universal parks and Volcano Bay you get up the app and they scan the QI codes as entry. You do the same at a SeaWorld and Busch if you have entry to those as well.
I take a screenshot of each ticket in the app and keep those in photos as a back up.
I’m a little bemused by these statements you have to get physical tickets.
For SeaWorld and Busch if you get free parking you may also need to show ID at the parking gate (I was asked once only). I did all 3 parks in summer and never got a physical ticket without any issue, and people around me were scanning their phones as well.
I have never heard of Debbies Villas but they give you etickets, as above, not tickets to collect, these are fine and this is what I am describing above, I certainly wouldn’t pay more for ‘physical tickets’. As I say you’d know if the tickets were good as soon as you got them and put them in the app. So there is zero risk with this approach as the tickets are verified as soon as you get them by adding them to the app.
I can only assume others are not up to date with how the Universal app and etickets work. This was added a few years ago. In fairness when they first introduced this in late 2016 only tickets bought on the app could be added, and they later added the ability to scan others in- so I think people don’t know that. If you are going to Volcano Bay it is worth getting the app anyway to add a credit card so you can buy food etc with the Tapu band. For that to work your ticket all has to be linked on the app- exactly like MDE.

Here is my Universal App with tickets scanned and linked:

And then you can just get up each family member’s tickets on this screen:

Note the above tickets were bought from a 3 rd party, not Universal and just like Debbies Villas sent to me via email.

Edited at 08:41 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
That’s me told then.
You were kind of correct- you should just have said Universal app and not MDE which is what I think you meant.
Old 18 Jan 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
well, in a perfect world ... you'd absolutely be correct

now, as your screeshots show, you may be required to show ID when using universal app , even though they changed to wording, as before it said "photo ID IS required"
so, not collecting tickets, good, needing to carry ID, bad

it would be good if there was something in between

Now, I've had my APs linked to the Uni app for a few years, and from experience, it's been playing up on quite a number of occasion.
It's to the point that we no longer bother brining up the app, and use our physical APs, as, per our experience, it is faster (I will admit that I use my phone for every loyalty card at home)

for us, the universal app does not work at volcano bay, period. Guest services has reissued our APs 3 times (once each year actually, so we can register them again on the app ... the dang thing doesn't want to cooperate, and Team Members themselves say the thing is "complicated"

for example, our APs still show the wrong expiration date on the app. One day, without warning, our APs stopped showing on the app, and were only found in the "expired purchases", and even reissuing them still sends them to the expired purchases with an expired date (says it expired on oct 12 2017 when they renew in march)... still they DO work for entry when scanning the back of the ticket ... but scanning from the app does not ... despite it being the same code content ... and even APs are sometimes registered as APs, sometimes as park tickets ... depending on the direction the wind blows ... as you may see from my screenshot below
but TMs say we're not a rare case ... so Physical ticket backup it is. And I would never advise anyone to go fully digital at Universal, at least not until they app is stable, which it is currently not ...

so, of course, one might object that, going get the physical tickets is a pain, and you can do digitally, that is very true. But having the physical tickets as a backup is never a bad idea. If it works, then it works, but if the app plays up on you, like it often does, then you'll spend much more time sorting this out at guest relations ... (and that's from personnal experience, as we've spent quite a few hours over the years when the system played up)

At disney's it's fairly different since MBs are basically physical tickets, and it's not fully digital enabled like it is at universal.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
well, in a perfect world ... you'd absolutely be correct

now, as your screeshots show, you may be required to show ID when using universal app , even though they changed to wording, as before it said "photo ID IS required"

it would be good if there was something in between

Now, I've had my APs linked to the Uni app for a few years, and from experience, it's been playing up on quite a number of occasion.
It's to the point that we no longer bother brining up the app, and use our physical APs, as, per our experience, it is faster (I will admit that I use my phone for every loyalty card at home)

for us, the universal app does not work at volcano bay, period. Guest services has reissued our APs 3 times (once each year actually, so we can register them again on the app ... the dang thing doesn't want to cooperate, and Team Members themselves say the thing is "complicated"

for example, our APs still show the wrong expiration date on the app. One day, without warning, our APs stopped showing on the app, and were only found in the "expired purchases", and even reissuing them still sends them to the expired purchases with an expired date (says it expired on oct 12 2017 when they renew in march)... still they DO work for entry when scanning the back of the ticket ... but scanning from the app does not ... despite it being the same code content ... and even APs are sometimes registered as APs, sometimes as park tickets ... depending on the direction the wind blows ... as you may see from my screenshot below
but TMs say we're not a rare case ... so Physical ticket backup it is. And I would never advise anyone to go fully digital at Universal, at least not until they app is stable, which it is currently not ...

so, of course, one might object that, going get the physical tickets is a pain, and you can do digitally, that is very true. But having the physical tickets as a backup is never a bad idea. If it works, then it works, but if the app plays up on you, like it often does, then you'll spend much more time sorting this out at guest relations ... (and that's from personnal experience, as we've spent quite a few hours over the years when the system played up)

At disney's it's fairly different since MBs are basically physical tickets, and it's not fully digital enabled like it is at universal.
Interesting - but Disney is fully digitally enabled- the MB isnt a physical ticket at all- it just gives a code that links digitally to the account database which holds the ticket data. It is not on the band itself as such the band is just linked to the same account. It's all held in the cloud on Disney computers. Scanning the band is effectively exactly the same as scanning the digital code on the phone (or on a physical ticket)- the computer takes that and checks it is linked to a ticket and also a fingerprint and allows entry, it is just that the band gives the computer its code via a NFC (it doesnt hold data aside from a code, and it knows the band is linked to your account as its been added to your account) and on the phone you are giving the code via a visual scan of a QI code.
In fact if you have a physical ticket with a code on (either a code printed on it, a magnetic strip or an NFC chip), it is working exactly the same and calling on the same data to allow you in, as scanning the code on your phone. So basically if you are getting a physical ticket at Universal the only difference is you are presenting Universal with a different way to read your code, which is then looked up exactly the same on the same database to confirm it is you- after it has checked your fingerprint on that database also.
I have not heard of these problems anywhere else and I imagine digital tickets are taking over now- not saying you haven't had them, you obviously have but I think you were unlucky. What you are saying is that the code on the phone must be changing compared to the ticket- which is bizarre, maybe its an issue with APs- I see you upgraded them and maybe it is something to do with that so in that scenario it seems good advice.

From Disney's website:
Your MagicBand or card is unique to you and allows us to authenticate you and the benefits associated with you. The MagicBand and card contain only a randomly assigned code that securely links to an encrypted database and are configured to not store any other information about you.

Edited at 09:06 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by EatandPlay View Post
If you like to collect souvenirs, a printed ticket voucher isn't much of one. The real ticket is. Much like concert tickets...I ALWAYS pay the extra couple of dollars to have the tickets sent to my home because I keep those as souvenirs.
Except the OP was talking about exchanging their vouchers for real tickets. Therefore they'll still have a souvenir even with a voucher.

Although, as per YorkshireT's post, you don't have to actually pick up a physical ticket any more.

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
The physical tickets state on the back that "Valid photo ID and ticket required" as well. So there's absolutely no difference between what's required with a real ticket and what's required when using the app.

As we know though, the staff at the entrance rarely (if ever) ask for photo ID. I've never been asked to show any ID even though it's a requirement of the physical tickets.

Same applies with Disney's physical tickets and, say, MagicBands. In fact, both of those link to an electronic online account that holds the e-tickets. Neither hold any information about the ticket itself (as YorkshireT points out above), just a reference number. And, as far as I remember, the back of the Disney tickets had a QR code on it which is (probably) the same as the reference number.

Oh and given the number of DIBBers who say they've had problems with Disney's app with tickets going missing or being incorrect I'd say Universal isn't the only one with problems in the IT department. But most of us staying onsite at Disney (like me) will never receive any Disney tickets. It's all electronic now.

Personally, if it saved me some money then I think I'd get the vouchers. And if I needed physical tickets for any reason (as you say) then I can always go to Guest Relations or a ticket booth and exchange the voucher for a real ticket.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:36 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You shouldn’t need to collect tickets in this day and age, you should be given a code you then put into the app. No need for tickets.
You just scan the code into the Universal app, just like with Disney, then show the QI code on the app at the gate. You can put all your families tickets on the phone.
You can add the code to the Universal app as soon as you get it. So you know straight away if it’s a valid ticket or not, as it comes up in the app- just like with Disney MDE.
So at both Universal parks and Volcano Bay you get up the app and they scan the QI codes as entry. You do the same at a SeaWorld and Busch if you have entry to those as well.
I take a screenshot of each ticket in the app and keep those in photos as a back up.
For SeaWorld and Busch if you get free parking you may also need to show ID at the parking gate (I was asked once only). I did all 3 parks in summer and never got a physical ticket without any issue, and people around me were scanning their phones as well.
I have never heard of Debbies Villas but they give you etickets, as above, not tickets to collect, these are fine and this is what I am describing above, I certainly wouldn’t pay more for ‘physical tickets’. As I say you’d know if the tickets were good as soon as you got them and put them in the app. So there is zero risk with this approach as the tickets are verified as soon as you get them by adding them to the app.
I can only assume others are not up to date with how the Universal app and etickets work. This was added a few years ago. In fairness when they first introduced this in late 2016 only tickets bought on the app could be added, and they later added the ability to scan others in- so I think people don’t know that. If you are going to Volcano Bay it is worth getting the app anyway to add a credit card so you can buy food etc with the Tapu band. For that to work your ticket all has to be linked on the app- exactly like MDE.

Here is my Universal App with tickets scanned and linked:

And then you can just get up each family member’s tickets on this screen:

Note the above tickets were bought from a 3 rd party, not Universal and just like Debbies Villas sent to me via email.
The only thing I would add to this YT is that if all of your party are riding Hulk together then you will need a paper copy of one of your tickets to access the lockers as you scan the barcode to open the locker and you can’t take a phone on Hulk.

We had the print at home e-tickets from Musement last year which we carried one with us in DH’s pocket for this reason. You can also exchange these A4 e-tickets for the small credit card size tickets at the parks or in one of the onsite hotels if you are staying there. If you do this it will have a different barcode to those already scanned to your phone so you would then need to add them to your phone again.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I always prefer e tickets to a physical ticket as, as long as you have access to your email account then you’ve always got access to your ticket. Physical tickets can be lost, that’s why ticket companies try to sell you special delivery and insurance on them. We always print ours before we go and exchange them for a ticket at some point. However as pointed out above the new lockers on some of the rides is a pain if you want to go paperless. If it’s a ride that doesn’t allow anything in your pockets then you either need a paper/cardboard ticket or you need to get a barcode from a guest service desk (might be wrong but I think the timeshare ones that you can purchase the meal packages from) Never had an issue with scanning the barcodes on the printed vouchers.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List