Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jan 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I hope they're not telling us to show our DVLA code and paper D/L counterfoil at the car hire desk as well.

Mick
Now just don’t...
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
The US government aren’t much help...

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving specifies the rules but sends you to the State licensing.

Searching for “IDP” takes you to a FAQ page

Visiting from another country?
Visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here are required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from their country of residence.

If renting a car while visiting Florida, we suggest you check with the rental car company prior to your visit to see what they require. However, it’s our understanding that rental car companies have not changed their procedures or requirements for having a valid driver license from any state, U.S. territory or foreign country.“

It’s no wonder there is confusion.

Regards

Gary

PS - I have no intention of getting an IDP unless the day after I read a story of a UK driver being refused car hire
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

The Car Hire companies don’t really care, as long as you show a DL of any type you are good to go, it’s more to prove who you are, but it is your responsibility ensure you comply with the laws in the US.

Edited at 09:33 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Unfortunately this blasted IDP fiasco was a full on faux pas, Jan 2013, by Fl Gov Scott, who signed in a Bill that every traveller to Fl had to hold an IDP and make it available to law enforcement and car hire suppliers. I was in Fl at the time and brought it to a deputy friends attention, he did copious research and took his Geneva Convention findings to his Capt and up the ladder it went. Altho we don't know if Den's research carried weight, about 2 month after signing in the Bill a very red-faced Scott quickly rescinded - unfortunately, even 7 years later some continue to believe it's necessary! Canada, with the UK tagging along, were extremely ticked off and vocal as, in general, an IDP is a card that translates a foreign dl into English - Scott perhaps missed the part where that's unnecessary for billions of dl's. I had some Brit insist my Fl car insurer, Progressive, would need an IDP, he had no idea what he was talking about.

Unfortunately Fl car hire companies quickly placed a paragraph in their T&C's about needing an IDP but then took longer to change/remove that paragraph.

The AA finally got the message and stopped flogging this superfluous piece of card to Fl travellers but it seems the PO are in for the long haul as they continue to advise an IDP is necessary. No wonder people are confused and decide paying £5.50 to the PO will stop their worry.
Old 22 Jan 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
I must say that this looked like blatant profiteering from the Post Office. Words like “or recommended” are often masks for a bit of skullduggery.

However, following this official gov.uk link...

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit#content

...it would appear that an IDP IS required

Regards

Gary
Yeah, I was going to say (and have said in the past) that it's not the Post Office's fault for stating that you must have an IDP when travelling to the States. The UK Government website seems to say that you need one (it seems to imply you need one for every foreign country!) and the Post Office is merely following their advice, as you would expect it to.

I'll point out that the Post Office is owned by the UK Government.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Louck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I bought an IDP in 2015 to drive from San Fran to Vegas and LA as I was worrying about driving over there. I’d never been to America at this point.

I’ve since been multiple times and my IDP is nothing but a £5 souvenir! Never been asked for it at all!
Louck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List