Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Mar 17, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
pingufan
Helping Minnie

Alamo Brits - Miami Tolls / Sunpass, Fuel and other charges?

Hello,

I booked car hire through Alamo Brits - Collection in Miami (Collins South Beach) then drop off 17 nights later at Alamo Downtown Miami after doing a circular road trip around Florida.

I've copied this from the booking details I was sent at the time

Rate Inclusions:
Description Price

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) Included
Extended Liability Protection (ep) (usa/ca: Up To $1 Mil) Included
Tire Battery Fee .02 Day Included
Per day Included
Vehicle License Fee Included
Sales Tax Included
Unlimited Mileage Included
1 Additional Driver Included
10% Discount Included

So does this mean that I dont need to buy any more insurances? I assume the car will be hired full of fuel and I need to bring it back full?

I also understand tolls are cashless around Miami so will the toll fees be payable at the end of the rental? When we get to Orlando and drive to Clearwater should I stop and pay at the tolls or just go through the Sunpass route and pay them all at the end?

Edited at 03:02 PM.
pingufan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tiger01204
Apprentice Imagineer

Alamo have canned their website recently. If you booked a while ago then they have this link on their page which you can use here

You will not need any further insurance. The car will be full. You can choose to pre pay for a tank of fuel when you pick it up and then just bring it back empty. We do this for convenience and the price is only a few dollars different.

You can just use the Sunpass lanes. Our credit card was charged with the tolls about 3 weeks after we got home. You won't be asked to pay tolls when you drop the car off.
tiger01204 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pingufan View Post
I also understand tolls are cashless around Miami so will the toll fees be payable at the end of the rental? When we get to Orlando and drive to Clearwater should I stop and pay at the tolls or just go through the Sunpass route and pay them all at the end?

it's totally up to you (even though there are no tolls between orlando and clearwater)

Here's how it works

when you use a sunpass lane. Alamo will charge $4 for the next 24hrs.
That's a service fee.
You'll be charged for the tolls you use during those 24hrs, but you'll only pay the $4 service fee once for those 24hrs

when those 24hrs are over and when you use another sunpass, you're charged another $4 for the next 24hrs and so on

There is a cap at $20 (rounded) per rental period
so, if you have used sunpass for 5 days (or periods of 24hrs) you've already hit that cap, meaning that next time you *start a 24hrs period* you will only be charged for tolls, but not the $4 service fees for each 24hrs period you use the service, as you will already have been charged the $20 cap amount)
In that case, don't hesitate.

If you have only used the sunpass for 2 periods of 24hrs in the miami area, and come to an orlando toll where you can pay, it's totally up to you. You can use sunpass, and then be charged the $4 service fee. Or you can choose to pay the toll and save the $4

but for peace of mind and convenience, I always use sunpass lanes.

as PP mentionnend, charges hit your CC a few weeks after you returned your car.

Edited at 04:38 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

The charge you receive for tolls may be taken in more than 1 amount but you can check what you have been charged for here: htallc/Receipt_Reque...4&nav_flag=off

Just enter your last name and the requested digits of your credit card that you paid the tolls on and you will be able to get an itemised receipt for the toll charges.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
pingufan
Helping Minnie

Thank you al so, so much for your brilliant replies, everyone is so helpful around here.
pingufan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List