Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 20, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Often we can feel utterly flabbergasted that someone else does not even recognise someone whom we ourselves find a great and defining inspiration.
I can honestly say I’ve never felt flabbergasted if others don’t share my views or beliefs or lack of recognition of someone I believe in or are inspired by ...

I merely think ... each to their own...Especially if it is someone. 4000 miles away ... each to their own though.

One of my heroes is Captain James Cook but I wouldn’t expect Many Americans to know of him of his achievements... I would be neither surprised or flabbergasted...

Edited at 08:28 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by johnandmaz View Post
With respect, you couldn't be more wrong.

Until fairly recently, the whole American government system was built upon cooperation. Because of the separation of powers between the 3 branches, each could pretty much veto one another.

So compromise had to be found and was found as a matter of course. Something we rarely see in the UK. It's only really in the Obama and Trump eras that it has fallen apart. That everything is now so partisan. That the politicians vote along party lines, no matter what. It's led to standstill on so many projects.

It's hoped that a Biden presidency may revert things to the old days but we shall see.
With respect I completely disagree, potential judges HAVE to declare a political allegiance in the US - something that would never be tolerated in the UK and many other countries.
The law should be completely separate from politics IMO and in the USA that will never be the case

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 08:43 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I just think different people have differing fields of interest. I have no interest in US politics, but I am very aware of her as I have an interest in equality and the historical trailblazers involved.

Often we can feel utterly flabbergasted that someone else does not even recognise someone whom we ourselves find a great and defining inspiration.

I am sad that she has died and feel the world will find her space a hard one to fill. RIP
I had heard of her but genuinely do not think most people in the UK would have, so to say that the world will find her space hard to fill seems a bit of a reach to me?
She obviously meant a lot to you and some others here so I don’t mean to be disrespectful, I’m just at a loss as to what significance this person had outside of the USA

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
When I saw the News this morning I checked up on her life story. Seems to have been a real crusader and brought some sanity and common sense to the various judicial bodies she sat on.
Also what struck a chord with me was her stance on outdated Jewish traditions and her move to the more moderate side of that religion. Very difficult for a Jewish Lady to challenge that.

Her passing is sad albeit she had a good innings but I must say she was relatively unknown to me and I suspect also 99%+ of the British population.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I had heard of her but genuinely do not think most people in the UK would have, so to say that the world will find her space hard to fill seems a bit of a reach to me?
She obviously meant a lot to you and some others here so I don’t mean to be disrespectful, I’m just at a loss as to what significance this person had outside of the USA
That’s what I can’t process... when the “so what” question is applied it will not affect 99.9% of the U.K. population. I do, however, respectfully acknowledge what this person means to some.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Who? First time I’ve heard of her!

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My US colleagues eulogise about her, especially the women. I think her story is inspirational ( there is even a film about her with Felicity Jones) and given her age and the era in which she grew up, what she achieved in the law is incredible. Also her tenacity of spirit to carry on in the face of horrible and repeated health issues to try and avoid her legacy being marred by the politics of her replacement should inspire generations to come whether in the US or the rest of the world.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I had heard her name, but couldn't say who she was or even what field she was in.

I've just read her obituary and she was a remarkable woman, a tireless fighter and a strong champion for human rights.

RIP Ruth.
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I do get it. Supreme Court judges rarely make the news and that's how it should be. They are there to quietly ensure that the people in power follow the law. Some people may think the US President has little effect on their lives. Some people think that as the most powerful person in the world, the US president is a major player in the world.

The Supreme Court has in theory an equal amount of power to the President. So I appreciate you're at a loss to her significance, just take it from someone who knows that as one of 9 judges on the Court, they are very important. I still get the shrug - so what though.

Now as to your previous comment about pledging political allegiance you are wrong. If they did they, in theory, they should not be even considered. And even if nominated, they should be rejected by the Senate. They are selected by leaving party loyalties at the door and pledging allegiance to the constitution. Does it work that way? God no. They tend to have loyalties to the principles of the President who nominated them.

One of the nominees on the shortlist this time is Ted Cruz, GOP Senator and Trump sycophant. Can't see him being impartial but that's why he's on the shortlist. The same with the other 18 names on the shortlist.

Honestly - I could bore you senseless with American politics. Followed it all my long, long adult life. I've been lucky enough to visit Washington with the Air Force and bored the other 4 lads with turgid explanations of checks and balances. They couldn't get away quick enough whereas I was in Neverland. Doesn't make my opinion any more worthy than yours but as you've said American politics doesn't interest you a jot, please take my word - she was important - although I appreciate not to 99% of the UK population.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I agree . Never heard of her tbh. Their business.
I never heard of her too and my USA friends put Facebook of her but I don't know who is she?
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List